Writing two staffs for cello

“M” I did not think of that, yes that will be the stem thickness problem, and why you did not get rests…
Yes I just added the notes in normal input mode on that stave, and the rests show.
:slight_smile:

My way was not to use M or N. Just input the notes for each stave, on each stave. Extend the stem for the ossia notes, then use Engrave to move the notes vertically (EDIT: horizontally) so the stems line up and Engrave to move the ossia stave upwards.

I understand that, but I’m trying to avoid having to do those things in “Engrave Mode”, because if I have to make changes later, there’s a better chance that I’ll have to readjust everything one by one (and it’s several measures like that throughout the whole piece).

Anyway with my method I run into a similar problem now :smiley: It would be great if Dorico could solve this somehow.

Moving things in Engrave mode is a solution, and that is why the capability to do so exists!

Give that you appear to be transcribing an existing score, can I suggest you simply enter all the notes in Write mode, then do all your adjustments in Engrave afterwards? That way, your concern about later changes is unlikely to occur.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your interest :slight_smile:

I don’t agree, I particularly see the “Engrave” section as the part where you solve the layout problems or make the last adjustments so that everything is to your liking, not as the section to solve the problems that the program can’t solve. Another thing is that sometimes we resort to it for that, but I think that (fortunately) the philosophy behind Dorico is precisely to avoid the “workaround” as much as possible.

The case I have brought is not that of a transcription, but a work of my own that I am working on, although the example of the type of writing I want to achieve is from Kodaly. And my experience with this kind of “workaround” (both when I used Finale and when I used Sibelius) is not good: on the one hand, because if you have to make any change at a certain moment, the whole layout is destroyed; on the other hand, because with successive updates the same thing will happen to you. That’s why I say that fortunately I believe that the mentality behind Dorico is precisely to try to avoid these problems.

Anyway I wasn’t complaining, I am aware that this is a very specific problem, I was just expressing a wish :slight_smile:

Thanks again and best regards!

By the way, I was trying with the example that uploaded @claude_g_lapalme and it worked also with chords, but I dont know how he did it. Could you explain us? Thank you! :slight_smile:

I apologize for my silence. I was out of town for a while and was just a little too submerged with stuff. Also, I couldn’t quite remember! But now I know that I used extra staves (not ossias) with the layout option of continuing them for the entire system off. Then, I wrote on the main staff and used “m” to send chosen notes to the lower staff and added the clef. The length of the bottom staff was adjusted by moving the signposts.

Thank you very much, @claude_g_lapalme ! It worked perfectly :slight_smile: The only thing to be perfect is to reduce the size of the staff below, would it be possible?

Thank you again!

If you right click anywhere on that staff and choose a percentage from “Staff Size”, both staves will reduce. So in your case, it might be preferable to use an ossia. You can also use an extra staff and reduce the notes to cue size from the scale choices on the left of the properties panel

Yes, I reduced the notes and the clef in that way. The problem with “ossia” is that not works well for what I want to do.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile: