Writing WITHOUT using color

Can somebody please tell me how to notate WITHOUT using those “icky” colors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Minna M

Do you mean Voice Colors? You can just turn them off by selecting None:

There are a bunch of “Highlight” settings there you can turn off as well if you want them. Additionally, you can go into Preferences and change the colors. Among other differences, I have Voice 1 set to black, so even if I’m displaying colors, it’s still mostly black and whenever there’s a variance from Voice 1 it’s very clear.

6 Likes

Dear Fred Gunn:

I did find out how shut off the colors earlier this evening.

However, thanks for your help.

Minna

That is a good idea! I will try this! :pray:

4 Likes

FWIW those ‘icky’ colours are a life saver when engraving complex polyphonic and also modern works. I’d be lost without them. And you have already seen you can change the colours - which was a feature I often requested and Dorico implemented it!

4 Likes

You’re right. And I’ll write it once more for new users. The ability to turn on (and off) voice colours AND signposts is crucial if you want to understand why Dorico behaves the way it does. Make sure you have nice shortcuts for those two features.

3 Likes

Dear Mark:

Thanks for answering my email and informing me of Signposts; I like the traditional orange and black.
You must be from the U.K. as I can tell by the way you spelled “colors”.

Take care.

Minna Mansky
USA

Dear Andro

Thanks for your explanation regarding colors in Dorico.
I’ll have to be careful in not using colloquial expression like ‘icky’ I would imagine that using colors is handy for writing polyphonic and modern works. I won’t rule them out altogether.

Minna Mansky
USA

1 Like

Dear FredGUnn:

I don’t recall if Sibelius uses colors, but even if they do, I’m used to the traditional black notation on a white background.

Have a wonderful day!

Minna Mansky

Just to make sure: the colours only exist on the screen, in order to help you identify what’s going on: your music will print in Black and White regardless.

You’re welcome ! I’m actually French (and Spanish) :joy:
As Ben rightfully says, those colors are there to tell you which voice you’re using, they’re not meant to be seen like that by any player. As Dorico can handle a large number of voices, it’s important to avoid using too many of those and make sure you’re using the appropriate one. This is when colors are important. If you only write for string quartet, chances are that colors are almost useless to you.

Dear benwiggy:

Thanks for your help. I prefer the old-fashioned black and white print.

Minna_Mansky

I’m guessing that your last name is pronounced ‘Larshay’.