Wrong chord in score

From the popover in to the pianopart

Dagblad has definitely revised the Dropbox file since I last posted, as the file now opens with Bm7(b5) for me as well.

There are also chords that have been redefined to be different roots, which makes it tough to know what’s actually going on. Here’s an Em that was manually redefined to be an F#m.

I am working to solve the problem but it stays anyway. Now other chords being wrong.

I don’t have your font installed so I can’t really tell what you are trying to accomplish with all of your overrides, but as someone who has spent a zillion hours messing around with Chord Symbol settings, there is almost certainly a better way to be going about this. Can you post an example of what you are seeing in the score with your font, and what you would like it to look like? It’s very likely we could suggest more efficient ways to accomplish what you want.

A few general comments:

1. You really should never use an override to change the root to a different pitch than defined, as you did in the Em / F#m example I posted above. Perhaps there’s a valid reason, but I can’t think of one and this seems to be asking for issues to arise from it.
  2. There are quite likely global positioning edits that can be made, either though Engraving Options, Project Default Appearances, or using doricolib files. A global change will be much more efficient than lots of individual changes.
  3. In your Library Manager, a lot of your Chord Symbol overrides will be visible in the Glyph Primitives category. Scroll down and look at how many overrides you have for csymAccidentalFlat and csymAccidentalSharp. There is certainly a better way to achieve what you are trying to do without dozens of overrides for these glyphs.
  4. If you go to Engraving Options/Chord Symbols/Project Default Appearances, you can reset all your chord symbols at once by selecting Reset to Factory. WARNING: This is not undoable and Dorico will not alert you about that, so be sure you want to do it or save as another file first. Resetting this will revert most of your Glyph Primitive overrides, and all of the Chord Symbols in Project Default Appearances. After a reset, do you still have any issues with erroneous Chord Symbol transpositions? I don’t see any, and any symbols I input seem to be correct, although obviously I didn’t do a very exhaustive test.

If everything is transposed correctly after a reset, post an image of what you want changed and what you want the symbol to look like, and perhaps we can suggest a better more efficient workflow that won’t introduce transposition issues.

2 Likes

I’m certainly not a power user when talking about chord symbols. I know many folks here are bound by exacting requirements of how the music must look. In my case, my only real interest is in making the chord symbols clear, legible, and quickly interpreted without ambiguity.

To that end, I found it useful to do some trial-and-error with different fonts for the symbols; fonts that maybe had no connection to the music font in use. I eventually settled on a combination that works pretty well for me. I cannot imagine doing a whole bunch of overrides. That seems like an enormous amount of tedious work and the kind of fiddly stuff I used to have to do with Finale.

For what it’s worth, I think the problem relates to “promoting” a chord symbol appearance from Single Override to Project Default when the Single Override belongs to a transposed staff. You may be better off editing the appearance as a Project Default in the first place, rather than editing it as a Single Override and then promoting it.

1 Like

In all honesty, it’s many times more tedious than Finale because in Dorico you have to do it for each root. My previous “working default” file had hundreds of chord symbol overrides, mostly to fix accidental positioning. It was only when I realized that Dorico already has a way to specify chord symbol accidental positioning settings, but there’s just no user interface for it, that I went down the doricolib rabbit hole. For some types of edits, a few minutes of work in a doricolib file can save hours and hours of manually editing chords.

1 Like

I got this problem in every score I do. It’s very annoying! The chord is 1 semitone up. should be F#m7b5 and B7b9. Please make it work!

Dindi.dorico (970.3 KB)

Go into Engraving Options > Chord Symbols > Project Default Appearances and remove the entries for the two misbehaving chords.

Did that several time but the problem will return in every score with chords. Often when I edit chord that have to small accidentels.

You must have saved these as default. The errors also disappear when I Revert to Factory in that section of Engraving Options.

These are really often better edited in Engraving Options rather than using zillion overrides. Have you experimented with these settings?

Also check your settings in Font Styles / Chord Symbols Music Text Font. I don’t have your font installed, but you’ve somehow managed to duplicate that setting many times. I can make the accidentals huge if I want just by modifying those settings without any manual overrides.

Try changing that Font Style size or increasing the scale factor.

1 Like

I will try! Thx!

1 Like