Wrong order of keyboard fingerings

Normally Dorico sets the order of fingerings correctly, regardless of the order they were entered, but not here:
Dorico - Fingering

Even if I enter the fingerings for each note individually, it ends up with 1 at the top and 2 at the bottom.

Try this:

Select the two notes
Shift-F
r1,2
Enter
Properties > Fingering and Positions > Staff-relative position : Below

@StevenJones01 Thanks, that works. I’m still wondering whether entering “l1,2” shouldn’t lead to the same result.

The l and the r indicate which hand the fingering applies to. As we all know, the fingers on one hand are in reverse order to those on the other hand.

Dorico doesn’t seem to take into account that it’s the second right-hand voice.

When you type “l” into the popover you’re telling it you want to use the left hand. That’s on you!

1 Like

If you type “l” before the numbers, as in the example you posted, Dorico will think it is for a left-hand voice and will order the numbers accordingly.

Thanks, I get the point. L and R do not refer to the position of the fingerings, but to the hand they belong to, also if they are second voices in the same system. The position of the fingering is controlled by the property panel.

1 Like

In the video above I believe that is a capital “I” being typed rather than a lowercase “l”.
The l in Noto Sans has a tiny curve at the bottom.

You’re absolutely right, but it’s by the by - the Fingerings popover accepts both to mean “left hand”

(Fingerings popover)

(Presumably because the popovers aren’t localised, so l(eft), g(auche), s(inistra), i(zquierda/o), h(idari?))

3 Likes

If there are just single notes in the second voice, entering “L[number]” is faster than changing the position with the property panel in a second step. The fingering for the second voice is on the correct position and I don’t see any consequences if Dorico assumes that the voice actually belongs to the left hand.

That’s right, popover entries are never localised. Here Dorico is accommodating all common English varieties of “left”: left, geft, seft, ieft, and heft.

(I am joking.)

3 Likes

But seriously, how convenient that R(ight), D(roite, -estra,-erecho) and M(igi) are all distinct initials from L, G, S, I, H.

4 Likes