XML import and OS questions

I did search first, and couldn’t find this specific question. I have not bought Dorico yet, but intend to. My question is about how I can get it to operate. My Mac OS is well out of date, running OSX Lion. The reason for that is, I never upgraded from my prior notation software Sibelius 6.1. I heard many negative comments about 7 and decided to not upgrade. Worked for a while until OS updates started coming faster and faster. Running Lion is causing other complications with other software I’ve had to work around. I won’t detail that here. I’m a jazz and contemporary worship musician. While there isn’t support for Chord changes currently, I’d like to move forward with Dorico Daniel answered some tweets I sent with a temporary work around for new works with chord changes and I think I can make that work. The question I have is where to upgrade first…
I want to get the OSX to Yosemetie, purchase Dorico. I fear that if I do that, will I be able to XML export from a Sibelius version that won’t run in Yosemite? At least according to Avid. Or can Dorico simply open the old .sib files as a MusicXML?

Once I figure out how to open my older .sib work, will the Chord symbols display as text? I know they won’t transpose or act the way I am accustomed to, but will they least display?

I fear I’m going to have to upgrade to sib 8.x and then also invest in Dorico. Any thoughts?

Mac: Mid 2009 Processor 2.66 Ghz intel core Duo
Memory 4 gb 1067 Mhz DDR3
OSX 10.7.5
Sibelus 6.2.0 Build 88

Dorico won’t run on Mac OS X 10.7: the earliest version it will install and run under is Mac OS X 10.9.

Dorico can’t open Sibelius files directly, but you could install the Dolet plug-in into Sibelius 6 before you upgrade your Mac’s OS and export all of your Sibelius files as MusicXML at that point. However, I think it’s highly likely that you will continue to need to run Sibelius even after you have bought and started to use Dorico, as Dorico does not yet have every feature that Sibelius has.

I suspect that Sibelius 6.2 will at least run under a newer version of Mac OS X, though quite possibly not every feature will work (e.g. it might be that you can’t play back at all, or something along those lines), and of course the problem is that you will receive limited support from the software vendor if you run into problems. The situation is pretty similar with Dorico, too: we don’t fully qualify the software on older versions of the operating system, and although we believe Dorico will run without problems as far back as 10.9, we can’t absolutely guarantee it.

I have updated my 2007 20-inch 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo to El Capitan 10.11.6 and it’s running really well. I did have a User glitch installing the new OSX, the computer would hang when going into my old user account. I made a new user account and steadily copied things over to the new account then deleted the old one. It took time. The iMac is working better than it has in a long time on just 4 GB or RAM. Doric is running well as is Sibelius 8. I’d suggest you backup and then update to El Capitan.

I am running Sibelius 6 on Sierra with no problems. I have used the Dolet plugin to send MusicXML files to Dorico.