XMLMusic imports - a couple of questions

I have a 15-scene opera presently in vocal/short score form in Sibelius 6, and would ideally like to transfer it all to Dorico for the rest of the work on it. It meant using Dolet’s add-on to create the XML file, and I believe that that in itself means that the transfer has its limitations, and I’ve certainly encountered some of the issues mentioned by others on this forum, including long passages without any music for the piano LH at all, and I can certainly try and trace this back to errant tuplets etc. But I also notice that two-note tremolandi (and there are a lot of these in the piano part) are rendered as they were before the tremolando button was pressed in Sibelius (i.e. two consecutive notes of equal value), and I can’t find a way (for example by using the ///2 popover) to convert these into tremolandi retrospectively, as it were. Is it possible?
The other question is one of the import itself: I clicked ‘open’ on the 15 XML files hoping that I could use the Flow Import Options panel to select each one in turn in the correct order from a column of tick-boxes on the left. But what happened was that they were offered for conversion as one operation at a time, the filename showing next to an untickable tickbox, so I had to dismiss each one until I saw diplayed the filename I needed as the next flow. I now realise that I could have converted them in the order presented and moved them around in Setup afterwards, but was the routine I mentioned the expected behaviour?

Hi Gareth.
Two note tremolo should work as long as you have the same rythmic value for both notes. This is something I’ve been pointing for some years now. It’s quite easily solved though : use force duration on those quarter tied to eighth notes to make them look like dotted quarters. (Those are usually the culprits, but any value twice as long or short will give the same no-result). I don’t think there’s any notation software that deals with those notations perfectly until now. Once you know why it doesn’t work, it should be quite easy for you to correct them.

1 Like

Thanks muchly, Marc. I was on the point of returning to my post to edit it, having spotted that most of the tremolandi I’d found in other scenes had, in fact, converted perfectly, and - yes - the culprits are as you describe. This is such a helpful forum!

In one flow, I have over 100 bars of empty staves in the LH piano staff following a tuplet-based ‘crash’ involving XML Music import. Is there any way at all I can return to the Sibelius file and export an XML file of the remaining bars so that I can just copy the result straight into Dorico? Maybe just by saving the single system or even staff as a file and exporting that? What would be the procedure following that as regards getting the result into the Dorico file?

Your edited staff would import into a new flow, from which you can copy it into the real flow and delete the extra one.

1 Like

I’m experiencing multiple problems in trying to tidy up XML imports - I’ve tried the options for ‘Create All New Players’ and ‘Merge with Existing Players Where Possible’ options, but both create their own undesirable results - involving either duplication os mis-assignment, and I’m trying to decide which is the least worst.
Here’s one issue - there’s a baritone in scene 1 (now Flow 1) who gets assigned by the import to sing soprano in scene 2; but, if I change his instrument to soprano in Setup, he also becomes a soprano in scene 1. So - I created a new instrument (soprano) - deliberately doing this when the strap at the top showed ‘scene 2’ - and her staff obediently appeared, but in scene 1 only. I have to have her staff in view in order to cut/paste the baritone’s notes, but I can’t get it to show. She appears as an instrument, ticked, in the Players column of the Full Score layout throughout, but, although her own layout has empty bars (including multirests and the like) throughout scene 1, she shows tacet for the rest of the score. I tried again, this time checking the tickbox marked ‘scene 2’ from the bottom window in Setup, but with the same result.
I’ve really tried to understand how this is supposed to work, but I’m afraid I’m having to ‘throw myself upon the mercy of the court’ again.

Typically when you add a player to a project it’ll automatically be assigned to all flows. The exception is when you’re working with flows that have been imported via MusicXML. It sounds as though the new player (left panel) is assigned correctly the score and relevant part layouts (right panel) but not necessarily all of the flows (bottom panel).

The other complication is that in the bottom subsection of Layout Options you may have chosen to Hide Empty Staves. If this is the case then you’re best off working in Galley View, where all assigned players will appear.

1 Like

Thanks, pianoleo. In the end it was a few flubs on my part that were responsible - e.g. the staff was there all the time, but labelled S. instead of the character name I’d allotted to it; I discovered that I needed to take a couple more steps to change the staff instrument label as well. All good now.
However, I have to wait a a long time for some commands to process. I noticed a thread in which this large-score matter was discussed, and I’ll do what’s suggested there. But is it practicable and useful, once all project-wide settings have been made, to separate the flows into discrete files, work on them, and then append them all back again?