Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio "Device could not be opened"

Hi,

First, I know there were already some topics about this problem but none of these helped me.

Context :
I have a Yamaha PSR-S750 keyboard that I want to connect to Cubase Elements 10.
For now I’m using ASIO4ALL v2 but I wanted to download the Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio driver to see if it works better (I had some issues with tracks getting the sound of an other track when changing vst preset, and other issues but I don’t know if this has anything to do with driver).
Anyways, using Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio driver can be better (even though I don’t really know why so feel free to tell me what you think).

When I try to change the ASIO driver in the Studio Setup interface to the Yamaha one I get “Device could not be opened”.

What I’ve tried

• Reinstall the driver
  • Trying different USB types USB 3.0 → USB 2.0

Does anyone can help me with this ?

I’ve attached some screenshots.

Hi and welcome,

First of all, can Yamaha PSR-S750 really act as an Audio Interface? I would say the USB port is there just for transferring MIDI data, isn’t it?

Hi,

I’m pretty sure I can also send audio signal instead of MIDI signal (I originally even tried to send both signals at the same time but I guess that’s not possible).
Anyways, what I did is associate the MIDI signal to “a set of sounds” corresponding to my keyboard that I installed in the MIDI Device Manager (see the attached screenshot).
I don’t know what the Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio driver would bring to be fair (feel free to tell me) but I think it would work better.

I’m very new to this subject, so I hope I was clear.

Hi,

If Yamaha PSR-S750 can behave as an Audio Device, then the Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio driver would allow you to use the PSR-S750 as an Audio Device You wouldn’t need to use any other hardware (one gear less) and you wouldn’t need to connect the audio output from PSR-S750 to an Audio Device. So the sound would be cleaner.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and the infos.
In fact, I still want to be able to have a MIDI signal, but with the sounds of my keyboard. I don’t know if it has something to do with the Yamaha Steinberg USB Asio driver but in any case I still have an error message for this driver.

What made me want to try this driver was the fact that I have problems using MIDI Devices :

• Sudden volume change on some tracks when I load then project
  • MIDI tracks suddenly getting the sound preset of another track.
    etc…

I actually have lots of questions regarding this setup, but I’m trying to break it down

Hi,

Maybe these videos might help: Steinberg Cubase Quick Start Video Tutorials.

Be aware, some menu entries has been renamed since Cubase 10:

• Devices = Studio
  • Device Setup = Studio Setup
  • VST Connections = Audio Connections