You fixed the external clock preference!

Thank you! The occasions when I forgot to check that everything was externally clocked and it was not were quite frequent… And then I’d get loads of minute glitches that I barely noticed but clients always did! If I forgot to turn on the AD/DA before I launched Cubase then it wouldn’t automatically select ‘external’ for me but now it does. Thank goodness for that.

Thanks for fixing this Mr Cubase.

No you haven’t!

What I mistook for this being fixed is having the clock source set to external. If you turn off the DA/AD the clock reverts to internal. If you then turn the converters back on it automatically switches back to external.

I wish Steinberg would make it so that, if in the Device Setup > ASIO (Lynx in my case) dialogue ‘externally clocked’ is checked then if I launch cubase with the converter turned off and then turn them on later it would automatically latch on to external clocking instead of waiting for you to remember to change it manually in the Device Setup dialogue.

I mean, what’s the point of the check box anyway? I think this is a bug.

Why is the ‘How do I report a problem with Cubase [bugbase]’ thread locked? How do I report this bug?? Thanks!

Read the first post in the bugbase, you can find how to report bugs there.

That setting has no effect on my system regardless of what hardware I use.

I thought manually checking External Clock would mean that as the frequency of the hardware changes, the project sampling rate would change in accordance, meaning that the program would request to upsample/downsample audio files automatically.

Insofar as hardware is concerned I’ve not ever used anything that detects a new clock, I have to do that manually (which is fine) but if Cubase could know the current sample rate of the hardware that in my view would be awesome.

Is that what you are wanting?

Well, it detects when the external clock is present - if I turn the clock off it switches to internal and if I turn it back on it reverts to external. But if I open cubase before the clock is on and then turn the clock on it doesn’t switch.

Cubase seems to know the sample rate of the ADDA though - if I change the sample rate on the converter (lavry blue) then I get a notification in cubase that the sample rate has changed, what it has changed to, whether I want to resample the audio in my project or move things around to reflect the new timing. Is that what you meant? (It asks this whether that check box is ticked or not.)

What I want is just to be able to avoid my forgetfulness - if I have the ‘externally clocked’ option ch3ecked then I want it to switch to external whenever the clock source is present, regardless of whether I turned the ADDA on before or after cubase launches…

Thanks.

How is it that Cubase is detecting a change in sample rate if it is not coming from the converter?

I think what Cubase essentially does is it picks up the current sample rate from the hardware and not any external source, since checking External Clock seems to be a moot setting since the only way the program can know is via ASIO, which in turn looks to the hardware, unless of course WASAPI allows hardware to communicate with Windows.

Ah, sorry, I must have misunderstood - the change is coming from the converter. If I change the rate on the converter cubase sees this. What converter are you using? One that can be controlled by software? (Mine has switches on it to specify bit rate and sample rate).

I did work out how to get it to latch onto the external clock source when the ADDA is turned on even when Cubase is launched before it’s turned on - I have to UNCHECK ‘externally clocked’ in the ASIO settings! What’s that all about?? Unchecking externally clocked in order for it to be externally clocked by default? Either I am missing something or it really is a bug…

Maybe the Externally Clocked setting is related to SMPTE where timecode is derived from wordclock.