You looked in my tear..New song

Hi everyone…new song, starts of fairly normal and ends up fairly heavy, nearly blew my little Genelecs up putting the bass on…hope there’s enough this time…just put a revised mix up with more kick and bass after lenny’s comments…Kevin

http://soundcloud.com/knmac/you-looked-in-my-tear

HI Kevin,
You now have 2 threads near the top of page 1 titled ‘new song’. Could get confusing to those following these threads. :wink:
I like this one a lot! This, to me, is a noticeable step up, mix wise. Everything sounds clearer - most notably the drums - and you’ve got a nice fat bass tone. Everything sounds balanced to my ears.

the only thing I’d suggest is that the kick drum - while more pronounced than you’ve had it on earlier mixes,
could come up a bit. the kick drum should be adding punch and definition to the bass track. They should be complimenting one another - and neither should be overpowering the other. Try soloing the kick drum and bass tracks and listen to them together, and tweak them 'til you find the right balance.

Catchy tune - I love the sound of your voice and your delivery. Good work!

thanks for your comments lenny, gonna look at that now…Kevin

yeh i like it , i agree with Lenny about the mix ,its the clearest one i ve heard from you ,it has lost that high frequency which sounded like a dolby had being turned off of a tape machine ,the mid is now kicking harder and the mix is more transparent, what model of Genelecs have you got and what were you using before ,good stuff kevin .

Good tune. I like the double vox effect over the chorus. Were they double tracked or is that ADT? I’m not too keen on the tone of the distorted guitar during the last chorus. It’s very gainy and I think it may sound nicer with a more gritty fuller tone.

Wes

[quote=“firestamper”]yeh i like it , i agree with Lenny about the mix ,its the clearest one i ve heard from you ,it has lost that high frequency which sounded like a dolby had being turned off of a tape machine ,the mid is now kicking harder and the mix is more transparent, what model of Genelecs have you got and what were you using before ,good stuff kevin

thanks for listening mate…I’ve got Genelec 8020A’s and thats all I’ve ever had, it’s comments from this forum thats making me take the time to get better, so ta muchness!!! :smiley: …Kevin

Just me singing it twice…best way I reckon…not sure if I could get the guitar more grittier and fuller than already is…thanks for listening …Kevin

Great tune and a very powerful mix well done, love the way it ends with the effect ringing out a little. Very nice

I am not sure if it is me but there a big jump in volume of track around 2:00 and it sounded a bit distorted till ending… Might be a soundcloud thing :frowning:
Kenny

I really like this one, love the meaning in it as always. I hate it when you listen to a song and the vocalist is just spewing the same thing every other song in the world is about.

I am not sure if it is me but there a big jump in volume of track around 2:00 and it sounded a bit distorted till ending… Might be a soundcloud thing :frowning:
Kenny[/quote]

thanks Kenny, it probably is distorted, there’s a few distorted guitars there and wanted it to jump out a bit so I’ve probably overdone it…Kevin

Yeah, know what you mean…it’s hard getting the lyrics to sound like there not everybody Else’s lyrics when they are really…everything’s been done before has it not?

That’s why I like other languages then everything is different to me lol

Definitely your best production so far, sounding professional and good mix between bass and drums. I like the fuller part after 2:00, for me it’s not too loud in volume, it’s just fuller because you added another guitar background to lift it up. Compliments for your beautiful harmonies in this song, and the synth or guitar in 1:40 - 1:56 is just so beautiful, your best so far. Always looking forward to your new songs, you’ve improved a lot this year. Michael.

wow, thank you… :blush: I can’t thank this forum enough for helping me raise my level…Kevin

Sounds really good Kevin. My first thought was that this could have been a lost Moody Blues recording.

Well done.

it isn’t a lost Moody Blues recording but I am use the “lost chord” Bbdemented…I think it works well in the song… :wink:

Interesting. I thought the vocalist was a dead ringer for Justin Hayward :sunglasses:

Good recording that is RUINED by the excessive loudness/distortion that appears at the 2:00 mark. Please re-do. This time, check your gain staging all the way through the song, leaving headroom for the big ending. The song is too good to leave this distorted ending on there