Youtube Audio AND Cubase in Win10

Hi,

how to let youtube videos and cubase audio output play parallel on a Windows Laptop using the internal soundcard (which does not appear in the Cubase Audio Devices list)
Each time Cubase is started it cuts the Youtube audio.
TX

If you were on a MAC you wouldn’t have this problem. But there’s a workaround, fortunately.

1. Install this free software (on both links):
    → VB-Audio VoiceMeeter Banana
    → VB-Audio Virtual Apps
  2. In Cubase, select the “Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO” driver, then make sure that in Audio Connections (the old VST Connections)/“Outputs” tab/“Audio Device” column you have something selected. Actually, you need to make sure that the Stereo Out row is not on a “Not Connected” status.
  3. Open the Voicemeeter mixer (from the Windows Start Menu) and select the default ouput device (hit the “A1” button and select your onboard audio card, but be careful to select a MME item in the list).
    DONE! Now Cubase is wired to the Voicemeeter virtual mixer. You’ll have to keep this mixer open if you want sound coming from Cubase to go to your speakers through the onboard soundcard.

Dear Alin89c!
THAT is great! Thanks very much. I guess this will be the clue for online streaming Cubase Projects in video conferences, too!?!?

Best regards
CTM

→ Yes. I’ve never done it on a Windows machine, but it should be possible.
→ Every video conference software I know has an input and an output. You just need to change the input of it to Virtual Cable (VAIO), then go to Voicemeter Mixer and feed/route the microphone to this Virtual Cable (so that the participants can hear you as well). Cubase is already routed to the virtual cable, so there’s no need to make further routings. If you have any other problems, tell me.

Sure, because Macs don’t give you any choice (in particular about the onboard soundcard). I do agree though that some PC manufacturers make poor choices.

Windows allows you to set if a card is allowed to run in exclusive mode, and depending on your sound card (and its ASIO driver ) this will be an option or an obligation.

I use a Focusrite Scarlett and I can play Youtube videos and use Cubase with its ASIO driver without any issues whatsoever with the exclusived mode ticked.

I think the reason why you are able to use your audio interface in multiple applications is because it has two drivers: an ASIO driver, and a MME, WDM or WASAPI driver (which the OS uses). This doesn’t happen to be true with onboard audio interfaces…

On Windows, if you start two DAW’s with the same ASIO driver selected, only one would work. But on a MAC, because everything is linked to Core Audio, both DAW’s would work with the same audio interface.
I dare you to try having the same ASIO driver selected in two open DAW’s.

That is right, you can’t use the ASIO driver of the same sound card in two programs, but in the case that we were discussing, Youtube never uses an ASIO driver.
Otherwise you can perfectly use Windows Audio in two programs or Windows Audio in one and ASIO in the other.
I imagine that the issue here is that some ASIO drivers only work in exclusive mode (e.g. ASIO4ALL). Steinberg’s “Generic Low Latency ASIO driver” though doesn’t force you to use the exclusive mode.

I don’t agree with the word “perfectly” if you compare a MAC with a Windows Machine. To just work is not good enough for a professional (even for an amateur). But thanks for bringing up the “Exclusive Mode” options. Knowing about their existance can help in perfecting the audio setup.

Hi,

Many Thanks for all your impressions. For me, The voicemeeter seems to be a good way on a Windows machine.
A happy New 2021. Best wishes.
Ctm

1 Like

I’ve got a problem with this. I can’t select the voicemeter asio sound system, only the generic asio system delivered by steinberg and I have to select the voicemeter outputs. This is since cubase 12 I believe, or maybe it’s a windows 11 issue ?

I used to be able to select these 2 drivers independently but that doesn’t seem to work anymore.

Also, whenever I turn cubase off, everything is in disarray, and I have to go to windows sound settings again and reselect which output to use in order to get sound again. Since I installed voicemeter banana I have more bugs like that.

Desktop? Laptop? OS version? Interface? Cubase version?.. Please give us details and also put that stuff in your sig for future reference.

by visiting this page: https://forums.steinberg.net/u/RealCosmicD/preferences/profile

1 Like