z270 / i7700k anyone?

I consider to retire my old cheese grater mac and build a new pc for my Nuendo rig when Nuendo 8 comes out.
Does anyone have experience with the z270/i7700k/win 10 combination?
Soundcard is rme raydat.

I’m thinking of doing exactly this later this year.

Looks like you ay be the first for Cubase users! :slight_smile:

If so, do let us know how it goes.

Hi Guys,

I am actually interested in the same topic.

I havent decided yet between the z270/i7700k and the x99 deluxe II/ i6900k. the reason I havent decided yet is because I hear a lot of different opinion around # of cores vs. clock speed but I have seen very little fact.

I will be running Cubase pro 9 on win 10 home and I will be mainly use virtual instruments and plug-ins (no much recorded audio)

any thoughts?

comments will be really appreciated.

thanks!

Well I’ll bump this topic, as I’m in the same boat. Would love to hear some recent experiences too…!

Damn, I don’t know that I can expel any expert knowledge but in February I did change my 2600k computer for a totally new build using an ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1 motherboard, i7700k 4.2gHz with 32gb DDR 4 3600 ram. Gave up all spinning hard drives except for 1 2tb and added that new Samsung 960Pro m.2 1tb and I’m waiting for the release of the Intel Optane memory next week.

The bios running is the 0901 version updated a few days ago. The RME interface is connected via thunderbolt 2. I’ll report that it is a very fast machine in any benchmark test I’ve done on it but more importantly, Cubase runs extremely well. All of the boot loading whether from an off position or initializing Cubase is also quick.

I’ve never really had Cubase issues so I can’t say it’s soooo much better. It’s just real nice to be so quick to start up but some delays ( only 3-4 seconds) are still there in activating projects with 20 tracks or so which for my use …is high.

The bios updates to 0801 are required for thunderbolt as well as an ASUS EX3 card plugged into the motherboard and then using an adapter to go from Thunderbolt 3 from the computer to Thunderbolt 2 into the RME interface. I’ve also cooled it with a water pump on the CPU and radiator mounted to the top of the ridiculously quiet case. The motherboard has a place for a 40mm extra cooling fan but the two case fans seem to be more than enough to handle temps.

I am currently over clocking to 5gHz just to see how far it can go before screwing up but no problems so far. It was a bit tricky getting the bios to keep those 3600 ram chips at speed, the bios kept resetting them to 2333. I’d eventually figured it all out and while this build ran about $1700 in Feb it has already dropped in price.

Hate to say that ASUS tried hard to get some technical information to me but…They were wrong about their own product testing and recommendations a few times or they just spewed out data that was available at the time.

Was it worth it …absolutely as my old computer did 5 yrs for me so an upgrade was due. I should add that 95% of my recording is audio initially with VST’s eventually added in but usually weeks later. Still, no trouble showing up with loading or project activations

In case you want to know the case was a Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 revision b. It is a heavy case but due to the size of the ASUS TUF Z270 motherboard and those cooling radiators mounted up top it needed the extra height. The smaller case causes the edge of the mother board to interfere with the radiators. As it stands, I could not mount the little fan that came with the Corsair ram. It clips to each side of the ram but again, interferes with the radiator.

Temps are not a problem however but it would be nice to have more air moving thru. I can always add the mono fan or additional case fans

Hi, what buffer setting are you running your projects at? Are you noticing huge improvement over your 2600K?

32 in: 1.297ms Out: 1.315ms
64 in: 1.973ms Out: 2.041ms
128 in: 3.924ms Out: 3.492ms
256 in: 6.327ms Out: 6.395ms
512 in:12.132ms Out: 12.200ms

I am using the RME UFX+ interface via Thunderbolt and these numbers are from Cubase. I am running 64, 128 and 256 currently for the last few weeks only for testing a few things. As for major changes in the 2600k it is hard to say in That the 960 Pro is a bit different than my previous SSD but while so many improvements do seem to be made, I’d say …yes

I’m wrestling with this too…I’m looking between a Scan.co.uk build running z270/i7700k and a Dell XPS with H170/i7700k.

There’s not too much of a price difference, but I’m so out of date with my old 7 year PC that it’s good to read your results.

Do I need an extra pci for thunderbolt input? Regards,

J

You’ll need to know if the thunderbolt header is built into your motherboard once you have the I/O card plugged into the slot. There will be a ribbon cable from the thunderbolt card that plugs into a set of pins on the motherboard and you’ll need to activate thunderbolt in the bios and tell bios which slot the card is located in

For what it’s worth, the computer is now about 5 months old and has been flawless in performance. Thunderbolt working great.