Zoom Audio Share

Maybe I am late to this news, but what is the best way to share audio on screen-sharing services such as zoom, discord, and whatever it might be.
I still haven’t been able to figure it out.

I dabbled in asio link pro, but it did not really work

Many people use VB-Audio VoiceMeeter

1 Like

Good morning Ulf
Do you also have a suggestion for Mac?

Actually I use Loopback, but first of all it’s quite expensive and secondly it ruins my complete audio setup from time to time and I have to restart the computer completely and tinker around quite a bit. This also happens sometimes during the Zoom session with many participants, which is why I have completely uninstalled the tool again.

So if you or someone from the community has a good tip, I would be very grateful.

The advice here might be helpful.

1 Like

I just have a window machine, so the advice here did not work for my computer

ill check it out.
My only issue with Virtual Cables has been that Zoom is treating it as a hardware microphone input. This is annoying because zoom tries to cancel noise background noise and such, and I have to manually untoggle those settings whenever I want to share sound.
When You share sounds for other applications, zoom just kind of recognizes the internal audio and plays that!.

I have my Zoom setup so that any sound on my PC automatically is routed through Zoom, whether it’s Dorico, an audio file, me playing my MIDI keyboard with a standalone VST, YouTube, or speaking mic.

To do this, you need some sort of software that can mix the signals together, then send to Zoom as a virtual microphone. OBS is free and may work for you. I use my Fuji X-T4 as my webcam and OBS isn’t compatible with the Fuji software so I use ManyCam. I’m also using FlexASIO and VoiceMeeter.

When teaching I have a virtual MIDI keyboard always visible at the bottom of the screen so the students can see whatever voicing or line I’m playing on it. Perhaps you don’t need this, but it also is mixed in with the ManyCam video signal.

It’s kinda complicated so I made myself the setting sheet below for troubleshooting. Your devices will obviously vary so just change those as needed, but here’s my basic setup for Zoom so all audio is automatically sent to Zoom all the time:

Windows & VM
Windows Sound Output - CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)
Windows Sound Input - Microphone (MiC Plus)
VoiceMeeter Potato - Hardware Out (A1) - SPL USB Audio Device
Hardware Input 1 - CABLE Output
Hardware Input 2 - Microphone (MiC Plus) - turn off A1
Virtual Input 1 - Voicemeeter VAIO
Bome MIDI Translator - load preset to route MIDI, minimize to system tray
Roon - FlexASIO (Enable sample rate conversion)
VSL Synchon Piano - FlexASIO for Zoom, otherwise VoiceMeeter Virtual ASIO (lower latency than FlexASIO)
Dorico - FlexASIO

Video
VMPK - MIDI Setup - Input MIDI Connection - VMPK Port (hide Window frame too)
Fuji X Webcam 2 software installed
X-T4: Still, Single Shot, USB AUTO, Pre-AF on, Face Detection on - Eye Auto
16mm f/1.4 lens, have aperture at 1.8 when turning on

ManyCam
Import mcpro file with correct window placement for VMPK
Global Sound - On, Preset Audio - On
Audio Inputs (2): System sound, Microphone (MiC Plus),
Audio Output - Default Playback Device (should be CABLE Input)

Zoom
Video: Camera - ManyCam Virtual Webcam
Audio: Speaker - Same as System, Microphone - ManyCam Virtual Microphone
In Zoom, can use Share Screen but do not Share Sound or it won’t work

As long as your video software works with your webcam, I assume you could do something similar with OBS, FlexASIO, and Voicemeeter so all audio automatically goes to Zoom.

2 Likes

thanks for the detailed solution.
If you put everything on one routed to zoom.
Does background noise impression and echo cancellation mess with the shared audio?

They don’t seem to. I just checked and I had suppress background noise set to Low. I use in-ear headphones on Zoom so there’s no issue with the mic picking up the speakers.

This is an area where the right interface can make things really easy, and it’s one of the reasons I love my RME Fireface so much.

RME’s ASIO drivers are multi-client, meaning that I can simultaneously run Dorico, Cubase, Wavelab, BIAB, audio from my PC, VST synths, plus anything physically connected to my interface. In RME’s mixing software, I can create a mix of all the sources I need–leveled, eq’d, compressed, as I like–and send it to an output. Check a box to loopback that output to its input, then I have zoom, Jamkazam, or whatever, listen to that input, and it’s done. The best part is I can store 8 snapshots with different mixes and configurations and recall them at the touch of a button. The main downside is that RME makes studio-grade interfaces, and they are quite expensive.

3 Likes

That’s very interesting. How exactly do you route the audio, do you choose “zoom HD” or something in your audio out;puts, or the default RME outputs (Madi USB)?

I have an RME interface as well, the UFX+, wonderful interface and terrific support (but pricey indeed).

thanks.

1 Like

I’ve set up a bunch of WDM devices for apps that don’t speak ASIO. So, for example, with Zoom, I’m using the AES channel for the Microphone and ADAT 13 + 14 for the Speaker. Zoom sees these as AES (RME UFX+ USB 3.0) and ADAT (13 + 14) (RME UFX+ USB 3.0). With the loopback enabled, I can also run Wavelab and record zoom’s output.

Lately, what a bunch of us are doing is running zoom and jamkazam at the same time, using zoom for video only, screen sharing, etc., and jamkazam for audio only. Works well for jamming, lessons, etc.

And yes, the UFX+ is a beast! One of the best pieces of kit I’ve ever used.

2 Likes

I use this for everything: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexicon-Alpha-Studio-Audio-Interface/dp/B000HVXMNE

Don’t use Zoom, but works great on Skype, Telegram and any other combination you could want. You basically plug a cable from the OUT of your main card into the INPUT of the one linked above. Control everything with the Monitor Mix knob. No hassle, no drivers , nothing messing with your regular configuration.

Personally I use it as a separate VST piano with very low buffer to compose on, since Dorico has to work at maximum buffer size for large projects.

Thanks Daniel
I’m gonna read this carefully. Normally I read all these posts, but this one slipped my attention …