Zoom R8 - setting audio record levels?

Hi - Looking hard at this unit as a way to remote record.

I’ve gone through the manual a fair amount, but still have a question about setting optimal audio levels during recording.

In Cubase - I set the gain on my preamp so that my peak audio signals are about -12 dBFS.

But in the Zoom, I don’t see how to tell how big my signals are, except if they are tripping the clip light.

Is there any way of doing the Zoom R8 equivalent of Cubase’s “Audio Statistics” to see how big my audio signals are? I really don’t want them anywhere close to 0 dBFS, it will make mixing back in Cubase much harder.

BTW - my audio input level will be controlled by the trim on my preamp which I’d be running into the Zoom R8 as a Line In.

Thanks for any advice! :slight_smile:

Can the R8 record 8 channels at the same time? (just wondering) as the quick blurb I read said 2 in 8 out!
Don’t know if that’s important to you?

Unlike the R24 I don’t think the R8 has DEDICATED input meters (it does have gain knobs though) - you have to access that info via the main display, but I believe it is there (eg, menu diving). Download the manual and inquire within.

Hi Split - thanks for the heads up! Yes, I knew it was a 2 input device, which is just what I was looking for. One vocalist, one keyboard player projects. I don’ t want to tell my band about the R24, I do NOT want to be the recording engineer, I want to be the keyboardist! :laughing:

Hi Steve - For a triple or 10x the price I can get something to record audio that has audio displays that rivals what we’re used to in Cubase, but to be honest I am fine with what this has to offer.
What I’ve learned, from the manual and from the Zoom R8 forum: As it records, it holds the peak audio for about a second on a bar meter, then drops it. So, options are: 1) record dummy audio (hmm, isn’t that what it’s called whenever I record audio?? :laughing: ), keeping an eye on the meter just to see where it peaks out, set preamp trim accordingly, and record away.

• Alternatively, or maybe in combination with that … record a full track after that, bring it to Cubase and make sure that the levels are what the initial gain setting adjustments suggested they would be. Then after this confirmation of preamp trim level setting, record away!

Either way, I think that after a while I will “learn” where the preamp needs to be set for a certain volume of audio, without having to confirm like this each and every time.

As a portable device that lets me “loop record” audio takes, it seems like it hits the sweet spot of what I need, avoiding what I don’t (although to be honest, I don’t really need to pay for it’s audio interface function, or drum pads/sounds, etc.).

Thanks guys!

Sorry, failed to note you already HAD downloaded the manual!

I believe it’s the same meter as described on p12-13, it’s just that you won’t be in “audio interface” mode.

I will note by way of comparison that’s a much smaller manual that what came with the R24. Granted there are a few less features but geez.

HI Krudler - thanks once again for your help!

http://bavasmusic.com.au/store/images/R8_ZoomTop.jpg The meters labeled “1” and “2” on the left, with the dBFS markers on the Y axis. Also page 23 of the Zoom R8 manual.

Pretty stone age compared to Cubase, but hey, as you proved by your “California” song, it works!

LOL I was looking at the “interface manual”, not the “user manual”. Much more info!

Yep, that’s them - on the little screen. Not great but to be honest the dedicated meters on the R24 aren’t all that better. Basically just aim the signal a hair south of what it calls “12” and you should be good.