Zooming to mouse pointer location and trackpad zooming behavior

There is another similar post about zooming behavior from 2019. It has not been addressed now two years later. I sent an email with this problem and have been directed here to the forum, encouraged that developers visit frequently. Let’s hope this is true. Here is the email I sent:

"To Whom it May Concern,

I want to submit a very strong recommendation for improving zooming options in Dorico.

Currently, it seems you can only zoom to a previously-made selection, or to the center of the screen. But one may not zoom to the mouse location.

I believe this is a serious overlook. Let me explain:

If one doesn’t have a selection already made but wants to zoom into the far right side of the screen, they must:

1. Zoom in (or out) an estimated amount to the center of the screen.

2. Scroll to the far right, hoping that they zoomed the right amount.

3. If they did not zoom the correct amount, they must do step 1 and 2 again until it is correct.

Or

1. Make a selection near the desired zoom location.

2. Zoom into that selection.

3. Scroll to the desired zoom location from the zoomed selection.

As you can see, this requires at least one additional step, and possibly two additional steps depending on the user’s preference.

If zooming in and out is done very frequently (such as in my case), this wastes a lot of time and causes a lot of frustration for the user.

Additionally, lately, it seems you have been focusing very heavily on the iPad version of Dorico. I have not used this version, but I assume the zooming behavior is such that you can zoom and pan/scroll simultaneously similar to Google Maps.

Essentially wherever your two fingers are touching on the map, if you pinch or open your fingers, those locations on the map will follow your fingers. This actually allows one to zoom, pan, and 2D rotate all at once.

Rotation isn’t necessary for Dorico. But if the zoom and pan in iPad Dorico behave similarly to Google Maps, this is essentially exactly how the behavior should be on the desktop versions. Except instead of pinching on a touch screen, one is pinching on a trackpad. Or scrolling on a mouse wheel while moving the mouse

The suggestion I would like to make is:

In preferences, provide a tick-box or switch to allow the user to choose how they want zoom to behave:

Option 1: Zoom to mouse location always.

Option 2: If a selection is made, zoom to the selection. If no selection is made, zoom to the center of the screen (current behavior).

I know zooming into the mouse may require a little more code-work. But it is one of the reasons I refuse to transition to Dorico. And with the user being given the option, there is really no downside to providing this capability other than the extra coding time.

Please contact me if I can help facilitate the decision to add this capability in any way.

And please inform me if the work is already in progress or explain to me why it has not been implemented yet. "

Eric

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback, Eric. You are not the first person to suggest that it would be a good idea for Dorico to zoom into the position of the pointer. This is something we are certainly considering for future versions of the software, but it is not necessarily the highest priority item on our backlog.

2 Likes

That’s all I needed to hear. Thank you, Daniel.

FWIW, this was the very first thing I noticed last month when I started to use big Dorico on a MacBook Pro, and instinctively pinched on the trackpad to zoom.

Soon I discovered Z and X and used those for a while. But I kept getting them backwards because Z and X are in the opposite orientation of – and + on the keyboard (I know I could change the shortcuts). So I started using ⌘+ and ⌘–, which are instinctive enough for me as keyboard habits. Still occasionally I want to pinch to zoom and I always have to scroll along with it. (By the way, trackpad scrolling is SO much better than in Sibelius, I still have to remind myself how good it is.)

This is all fairly trivial; I’m just relating a new-user experience I had. I’m sure if it were easy to provide “natural” pinch functionality within the QT framework you would have done it from the start. So I wonder whether it will be possible at all.