2 sound card suport in Cubase pro 8.5

HI , is it possible , for 2 sound card support in Cubase pro 8.5 , i had asked for this feature a long long time back, as I had read then Cakewalk had this feature years ago , one for record Input one for out put , which may be would render less ( lowest ) latency ?? ( not sure about this ) n put less strain on the sound card and CPU processing , and easier to configure and route I/O , any one please ?? also are there any sound cards with almost zero latency in the market , wil there ever be ? thanks ws

Hi,

Cubase is using ASIO drivers. If the ASIO driver of the audio device supports multi-client, then you can use multiple audio devices in Cubase.

Multi client ASIO means, one device can be adressed by several applications at the same time, not one application can use multiple devices.

I don’t have any direct experience myself about using two sound cards simutaneously.My understanding from what I’ve seen here and read elsewhere:

1. Charlie Steinberg wrote a driver that allowed Cubase to use two sound cards some years ago - should be available somewhere on this site.
  2. ASIO4ALL is a driver that allows multiple soundcards - presumably how well it works depends on the combination you choose to use, and I don’t know what this would mean for latency.
  3. MacOs is inherently better equipped for multiple sundcards than Windows: offers the possibility to use an ‘aggregate device’ - two sound cards at the same time.
  4. No such thing as zero latency, but most people say RME soundcards have fantastic low latency stable drivers. Although for lower cost you might want to check out the new Zoom UAC soundcards which use USB3 as well as USB2, and seem to have very low latency.

Steve.

The problem with two soundcards ist synchronisation of the samplefrequenzy. This require a worldclock. Without worldclock you got audio dropouts. Any soundcards, like UR824, have a wordclock.

No. it is a multiclient driver that allows several applications to use one sounddevice

That’s why ADAT, MADI, and other standards are used. Worth spending a little time reading up on if you are thinking about adding more I/O’s.

Ah, thanks, I wasn’t sure if my memory was correct about that.

Steve.

Thanks every one , the main reason i want to use 2 sound cards independent , of each other , with separate Inputs and out puts, is to get the lowest latency possible , and less strain on CPU and sound card AD/ DA conversion making every thing faster , i have to wait some time for samples to load , even just a drum kits in to Groove agent 4 , even dissolve Midi parts in a simple Midi drum track i have to , wait almost 2 minutes. using and i3 (4 Gen ) 16 Gb Corsair vengeance RAM , 3 drives separate for OS , VST/ VST/i , cant divert the Vsti of Steinberg C P 8.5 n GA 4 there any more , though , just no more option for that . n 3 rd Drive for audio rendering , and a high end ASUS M/board , also have a 8 core AMD .
1.will Zoom UAC soundcards which use USB3 be better than the Zoom R8 sound card i use .
2. what would be the lowest latency in terms of m sec today , Keeping away from fire wire had to many issues .
3.should i switch to the 8 core AMD instead of the i3 Intel ?? Read that Intel works better for Steinberg .
cost effective solutions please and thanks in advance … ws
4. Lastly how do i use OSIO 4 all , if it does support 2 sound cards , are you not supposed to use the drivers of the sound card , u use for that ? so how do i configure it , if it works ??
cost effective solutions please and thanks in advance … ws

Just my opinion, but before I sunk the bread into another interface, I’d bump up to an i7 and 32 gigs of RAM. I would think the mileage you’d get out of that upgrade would far outweigh any latency benefits of using multiple interfaces.

the main reason i want to use 2 sound cards independent , of each other , with separate Inputs and out puts, is to get the lowest latency possible , and less strain on CPU and sound card AD/ DA conversion making every thing faster

Using multiple cards will not give any improvement in any of the areas you are unhappy with. The system can only run at the latency of the worse performing card and you would have to use a generic driver that can’t match the performance of the better manufacturers drivers.

The Zoom UAC interfaces have good performance and low latency but to actually utilise this with instruments and plugins you also need a decent computer spec. It swill give some improvement for you but hard to say how much as the i3 will be a bottleneck. (NB…the zoom’s drivers are what make it perform better rather than it’s USB3 capablity. It’s been tested under USB2 almost identically to USB3 … I’m running perfectly on USB2 with significantly lower latency than my previous/other Steinberg/MOTU/TC Electronic/Mackie/Audient interfaces)
To speed up sample loading the libraries need to be on a SSD. CPU or interface will make little to no difference to this.

Thank you all , will the AMD 8 core PC i have and add another 16 Gb ( total 32 GB RAM ) solve my problem .

.back to my issue , MY Zoom R8 , released a new version of drivers , it just dont load , as its not digitally signed by MS , n i never run my PC as administrator mode , type in PW every time :frowning:
Lastly i read on the UAC zoom USB 3 , Not so good Reviews so far , any other USB 3 sound cards in the market , specially with the feature of hardware based Effects like Steinberg’ s UR 424 sound card , how does that work ??? would prefer SB USB 3 sound cards with that hardware effx feature … !!! if its really a hardware based effx as they claim … thanks again … ws