32BIT PLUGIN BRIDGE PETITION. Please sign.

An alt to jBridge
DDMF Metaplugin v3 A “native” 32-64 bit bridge with seamless plugin window integration $49.
on sale on Black Friday?

I am one of those that are very disappointed that Cubase no longer supports the 32/64 bit bridge.
Because of this and a few other issues I no longer use Cubase. It’s a great DAW otherwise.

i tend to vote +1.
I’m fully 64 bit now on C9
I do have C7.5 installed and VE pro servers for playing back the older tracks and that is still working fine and if i want to change things there i keep it in the older version. C7.5 reads the 32 bits things without an issue as you all know. The newer things are for the most part backwardscompatible but with a few niggles. But, since the older versions are licensed when using a newer one this is a good tradeoff imho.

But i agree with OP that it was a radical decision just to cut away any 32 bit support to the newest versions, while there are some very good oldtimers around that now should be bridged with external party software if you want to continue operating them on the newest version. That is a radical decision and makes a lot of people uncomfortable. It’s a new learning curve, it was certainly not asked for, and it makes changes to the existing workflow wich is not everytime a good thing.

It wouldn’t have been that hard to come with a solution like Jbridge, Vienna or any other vst-host that would work fine with the newest software but in a safer environment. But they just had to kill it, and imho that was not necessary. Imho you just never shoot on your own product in such a way.

kind regards,
R.

The internal bit bridge wasn’t good. Forcing people to either drop ancient plugins or look for a superior third party alternative to the bit bridge is the whole point of its removal. There’s nothing radical about this when both options result in a more stable, better performing DAW. Developing a better solution would be a huge waste of time and money.

Im all for 64bit too and tech advancing. Ive zero against 64bit. Just want to bring some of the colours of those legacy plugins with me. People are saying oh but you get a more stable daw. The DAW has been stable for me since day 1 lol, don’t need it more stable lol. All thats happening is you’re stopping me using bits of kit i use in professional applications and services. One of my recent projects was for a Nokia advert, had to use 8.5. Wanted to use 9 (used legacy plugins)

Just wait 5 years and open an old project. I quess you would not be saying this…

If the project is archived the right way, there should not be any problem.
And of cause we all archive our old projects, render every vsti down, extract midi, and so on. :-/ if we remember.
Strategies like that is really a must if you want your projects to survive all the OS and Daw updates that constantly are rolling out, not to speak of hardware.
Would actually be a nice feature request, (archive project). A one button solution that renders everything down to fixed project length wav files, extracts the midi information, and stores everything including the project files in an container like 7zip or any other popular open source format. We want to be able to open them in 5 years again.

Well porting overdrive or qf1 by hiring a programmer is out because you can’t decompile an unmanned DLL.

Can anyone confirm if JBridge works with qf1 or overdrive?

Or does anyone know the person or people involved in making these plugins who may still have the code?

I’m in the business for around 14 years. I do have old projects. It’s normal to have some issues if you open such an old stuff. Just archive everything properly and you’ll be fine. It’s like I’ll be complaining that my current DAW can’t open those recordings I made on tape back in 90x
Try to drive the car that was standing in the garage for around 5 years, you’ll have all sorts of issues as well.

The way i use Cubase is with Groove Agent 4 (before NI Battery) and Halion (NI Kontakt), so i just use sampling. In old projects there is no synths i used to sample them. But offcourse rendering a project out to wav should be ok. It is just that plugins etc used as effects or others may use lots of VSTi, there is a big problem for backing it up and opening after 5 years or so. Its mainly Cubase 9 can read all older Cubase Projects, but like plugins need to be installed with the new system and working ok. The 32Bit loss was doing just that, broke my projects with 32 bit plugins. Jbrigde i have now, and took me a few days to restore a project that was 8 years old. Once again, if you work with wav or midi, the plugins and effects/instruments used are the bottleneck of it all then. Especially when plugins suddenly dont work anymore.

That’s the main reason to archive Projects as audio stems that have the plug-in effects printed. If at some future date that plug-in becomes unavailable then at least you have the processed audio. For maximum flexibility (and maximum busywork effort) you could save each Track three times as A) audio without any effects, B) audio including effects and C) just the effects.

Yes, the idea of Cubase saving backng up all tracks as stems at one button click is a good one. And with the system you propose would be great!

the simplest solution is to keep an old version of cubase running on an old laptop so that when you need to use your outdated 32bit plugins you can fire it up[ and do what you need to…

or just move on and keep up with the rest of us…

I’m curious:

1. Instead of demanding Steinberg step away from the future, why not petition the makers of those 32bit plugins to take a step into the future?
  2. With the abundance of 32bit hardware available for nearly nothing, why not assign a legend to run VSTack as host to 32bit plugins accessed via VST System Link or LAN or MIDI+Audio etc?
  3. Why not ask for a paid, add-on version of the Pro 8.5 bit bridge?
  4. Why not petition Steinberg to license or acquire the J-Bridge?
  5. Why do McDonald’s drive thru menus have braille?

So you can keep your eyes on the road.

No signature from me I’m afraid, since 32 bit was dropped my Cubase has been rock solid. JBridge stuff if you must it’s only £15 or so.

Come on surely this ship has sailed. I for one am glad to see the end of 32 bit plugins. For those of you who aren’t JBridge is the only answer you are going to get. Steinberg, quite rightly. have made the decision and will not change it.

Ha cha cha cha chah

+1 on JBridge.
Steiny VSTbridge always failed on me. Jus’ go with what works.
Cheers

32 bit support would only make Steinberg sort of accountable again for running all those ancient bad plugins and the forums would flood again with all kind of compatibility support on those plugins. The shitgates are now closed, let’s please keep it that way. Abandoning 32bit is the best thing that ever happened to Cubase from a stability perspective.