Constantly losing the “Link” in the piano editor every time one zooms in or out. Basically “linked” can only be used at the one zoom the devs decided was good enough. Personally I rather work at maximum zoom (for details) and just click on the notes in the score to quickly navigate between areas.
Hope to see these, otherwise I feel Dorico 4 is still a step back from 3.5.
Twice I’ve input CC in the wrong instrument, because the “Link” keeps getting disabled (as in the 2nd bug in the first post). It would be helpful that somewhere in the editor, anywhere, we could see what instrument we are actually editing.
Although I understand that it annoys you that the link button in the Key Editor toolbar is deactivated when you scroll or zoom, I just want to clarify that the current behaviour is as designed, and not a bug. However, we have heard the feedback on this loud and clear, and we have plans to rework this as part of the forthcoming set of improvements once the percussion and pitch bend editors are complete.
We also plan to make it possible to change which instrument you’re working on directly in the Key Editor, and to maintain which editor is shown when you change the target instrument (indeed we are planning to make it possible to stack multiple editors of different types below the piano roll, and maintain them as you switch between instruments, so you will be able to, say, show the velocity editor plus MIDI CC editors for controller 1 and controller 11, or whatever).
I know it’s frustrating to wait for these improvements. We are going as quickly as we can with this work, and you can rest assured that we are going to keep delivering updates that provide meaningful improvements to the Key Editor. Please stay tuned.
Always nice to know you are reading these (although I know you do), but please note the difference between what we think are bugs and what are just horrible design decisions e.g. the black screen on zooming and the editor jumping to the beginning of the flow, etc are definitely bugs.
Yes, of course I agree that things like being able to scroll sufficiently far in the piano roll such that no keys are available any longer are certainly bugs, and we will of course do our best to address them too.
Another bug: The new Tempo track cannot be set below 5, which is a must for things like fermatas and caesuras. Also, Spacebar and Enter get hijacked by the value boxes i.e. if you press Enter either on Value or Range max, playback begins and cannot be stopped except with the transport Stop.
An old bug has reappeared, when creating a new voice, playback for unrelated instruments is messed up. In this particular case I have a project with 6 instruments and multiple voices each. I create a new voice on instrument 1 (downstem voice 1) and upstem voice 1 for instrument 6 goes silent. If I fiddle with the velocities of the latter, suddenly it all pops back up. Even after removing the offending new voice, the issue persists…
Sorry, Claude, I can’t quite see what your video is showing. It looks like you’re selecting a note, then opening the Key Editor, switching to the Velocity editor, then dragging the velocity for the selected note (which appears to be zero for some reason), and when you stop dragging, the velocity editor updates to show the velocities for a different voice. Is that about right?
If you could please provide the project that would allow me to reproduce this, with the steps to follow, we will of course look into this. You can email it to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de. Thanks!
That is correct! The note/notes are not set at 0, but for some reason, as described above, they change to 0 after fiddling with a completely different instrument. If I then do what I did in the video, suddenly they all pop back up. The project I’m working on is huge. I tried separating the specific flow to a different project to send to you, but then I can’t replicate the bug.
This has something to do with me adding a new voice on the first instrument. Even after removing the new voice (which still appears in Play mode), turning off IVR, saving, closing the project, reopening and enabling IVR once more (with the new deleted voice completely gone from the Play window), the playback bug persists.