6.02 patch - crackles!

Thanks for clarifying, Early21. I’m happy enough on 6.00, and want to be at least reasonably sure that I don’t make things worse by going to 6.01 or 6.02. Following closely …

[quote=“alexis”
Thanks for clarifying, Early21. I’m happy enough on 6.00, and want to be at least reasonably sure that I don’t make things worse by going to 6.01 or 6.02. Following closely …[/quote]
Yeah, know what you mean. Turned out it was a simple matter to back out 6.0.2. Just uninstall from the control panel route, and then re-install using the CD. The uninstaller is smart enough to leave your vst plugins, and preferences and everything else where they were (which was what I was worried about) and the installer just uses them again, so it’s like you never left.

I’m in.
Same issue. I noticed crackling, and thought this is strange, but I never cam to think that it had to do with the update until I read this thread.
Installing an update should usually improve a software, for me it only caused problems… :unamused:

I don’t notice crackles but since 6.02 I do have a kind of stuttering now and then like the sound is interrupted for half a second or so. Tried adjusting buffersize, turn off autosave but that doesn’t make a difference. This happens on both PC and laptop so I don’t think its hardware related. Reading this thread I’ll will go back to 6.00 on my laptop first; see if it helps.
CB6.02 x64, Win7 x64 (ultim. and hp), M-Audio 2626 and 610.

Another one for the 6.0.2 crackles here under W7 64 Bit with RME FF400. I had a chance to play with this last night. I reinstalled my RME FF400 drivers (already at the latest driver and firmware release) , re-downloaded the Cubase 6.0.2 update file in case there was a later modification than I had (there wasn’t). Without going through all the steps of restoring system images, deleting, updating from 6.0 to 6.0.1 and then to 6.0.2 and also direct from .0 to .2, testing different projects, deleting preference files, unloading and reloading all plugs etc, this is totally solid in that 6.0 is fine, 6.0.1 is fine, 6.0.2 crackles. The Windows performance meters are nowehere near peaking on any of the cores, the VST performance meter is about 1/2 way up, and not a hint of clicks, drop-outs and so on in pre-6.0.2. After the upgrade the VST meter is rhythmically pulsing - I can fix it by increasing ASIO buffer size by a coupe of notches (64 to 128 samples), but we’re not talking about the odd click creeping in, it’s like constant radio interfearance.

Very oddly, in an attempt to save a bit of time between taking system images, I tried a system restore from a 6.0.2 installation back to a previously good 6.0.0 installation - the restore worked, but now 6.0.0 had exactly the same problem. I then deleted Cubase and reinstalled and all good again. Tried this a couple of times and it was completely reproduceable in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

I’m currently back on a stable 6.0.1 install and need to get on with some actual music, so I’ll leave this alone and just keep an eye on the site, but appreciate it if anyone has any insight in the meantime 'cos I want my coloured fader caps back!

Regards to all.

A.

A.

Thanks Andi for your report.

Looks like 6.0.2 does have a serious bug then?

Would re complete Cubase 6 re-install be the only way to get back to 6.0.1 ?

I really can’t believe they put out an update that actually makes things worse. Did Steinberger test this at all?
I hope they will release a fixed update very soon.

Hello,

no problems here. Cubase 6.0.2 (32 and 64-bit), Windows 7 64-bit and several sound cards.

1. Please be sure that you have installed the latest updates for your computer hardware and your operating system.
  2. Please also be sure that stuff like automaticly overclocking and/or clocking down the system has been disabled. There is also an option in Cubase that you can enable, to be sure that your system is running with full power. You will find it in Cubase under Devices → Device Setup → VST AudioSystem. Here you can enable "Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme.

No other reports have reached us regarding this report.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris,

In my case, Win7 has the latest updates, as does my audio interface, and I checked my power settings, and I switched them to the highest setting (full power, so to speak), still crackles. Before the update all was well, and now all of a sudden I get crackles! Sorry, but I can’t help but believe there has to be something wrong with the update. I am not the only one experiencing this either.

I do hope you guys at Steinberg will do some serious investigation in this and see how this can be fixed. That is what I call customer service. With some companies it is good, with other it isn’t.
Which group do you want to belong to?

Lars

Hello Lars,

We have some more customers in the world. At the moment these are the only reports, so we need to pin down what this is causing on the report here (local problem).

With the 6.0.2 update there where no changes in certain important areas.

Cheers,

Chris

Btw, there is no need to put us against the wall this way. This is not the way we want to communicate here.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your speedy reply, I appreciate it, and I am not used to speedy replies from Steinberger, but the happier it makes me to see that you can reply in a timely fashion.

I was not putting anybody against the wall, if you feel put against a wall, I apologize. All I was trying to say is that it is Steinberg who decides for themselves what kind of customer support you want to offer. It’s not my choice, it’s yours.

With regard to the issue: here are some customers (maybe a dozen, I did not count them) experiencing the same issue, and all you are suggesting is that these customers may have not checked their PC power settings? You are not leaving even the possibility open that maybe there could be something wrong with the update, maybe a bug, no, you are saying it is the customers making noob-ish user mistakes (such as using the wrong computer power settings, this was the 1st thing I checked!).
This to me is not good customer service, I 'm sorry. I have seen other software companies handling similar situation much more professionally. You could learn from them, it will be for your own good, your customers will be more loyal to Steinberg.
See, I love your software, I have been a big Cubase fan for many years, and I want this to work, I am on your side, and I hope you are on mine as well. I have been loyal to Steinberg and I do plan on keeping it this way, but customer support plays a big role in this for me.

I can understand if there are bugs, no biggie. If you guys would say, “ok, sorry, we may have a bug here, we don’t know, but we will look into this and get back to you as soon as we found out more”, that would earn my respect. That, in my opinion, would be a sign of good customer service.

I am self employed , I am dealing with customers, too so I have a little experience with this. As a business you can view customers that are criticizing you in two different ways: you can see them as an annoying customer or you can try to understand them and try to learn from their criticism. For my own little business I have found the latter to work much better, for me AND my customers.

Lars

Hello Lars,

I have mix a band now, but you should now that the forum is not a support forum where we answer every support question. In your case I would recommend to contact the Steinberg support that is responsible in your country. That is a much directer way.

Cheers,

Chris

Mr. Beuermann -

With all due respect, I think much of the frustration you are perceiving here is because of the perception of very erratic performance and responsiveness of Steinberg support when they are contacted directly. This forum has many posts detailing unacknowledged communications to them. So when the moderators say, " … In your case I would recommend to contact the Steinberg support that is responsible in your country. That is a much directer way …", to many people that might be like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Along the lines of what Lars wrote, a good customer service company tends to say “How can I help”, not “Sorry, not my job”.

So I don’t think much of the frustration is directed at you nice moderators personally. Perhaps a statement to the users on the forum like “… Steinberg understands there is a lot of frustration with local support, and they are looking into how to make it better…” would go a long way.

Respectfully -

I’m thinking there may be an issue with the 6.0.2 update as well. The very first project I opened after the update crackled on me a few times - and this happened pretty much immediately after the update. This was the first time I had problems with crackling as I had not ever experienced the problem at all since I installed C6 months ago - until the 6.0.2 update. This was a project with a fairly heavily loaded UAD-2, but a high buffer setting. I have not noticed the crackling since then, but I have experienced the the audio skipping a couple of times during tracking with a low buffer setting.

I’m a Nuendo user as well and have also had problems with the metronome screwing up. SB support couldn’t duplicate the problem (neither can I), but there are many others reporting the problem as well. It is quite disconcerting that SB refuses to accept the possibility that there actually may be some problems under the hood and insists that it is always a problem with the users system. Just because something isn’t easily reproducible does not mean that it is not a problem.

I have contacted support in the past to complain of several irritating and reproducible bugs - most of them have NOT been resolved and USA support says they have no information when/if they will ever be dealt with. What good did that do for me? So much for support helping out…

It was beginning to look like SB was turning over a new leaf and trying to do things right for a change…so much for that I guess.

Hi Chris - all checked as you suggest - Steinberg power scheme on and of, all drivers checked etc. All good pre .02, all crackling after .02.

Lars - It’s already been addressed but yes, I’m pretty sure that Steinberg does in fact test this stuff, which is why Cubase does so much so well. OK, no-one actually knocked on my door and asked to test on my personal DAW but I can live with that. I’ll report the issue to support but if there is any assistance that the mods can offer then it will be much appreciated.

Take care all

A.

It’s a good idea to put our system specs in our signatures, maybe then Steinberg would be able to see a commonality, i.e. if the folks reporting stutters were all using multicore processors (4+) it might indicate a core-parking issue. Not sure whether Steiny’s power scheme deals with that one?

Just a thought!

I found the source of the problem. Any of my projects that are using the Multiband Compressor are exhibiting both of the problems I reported: 1) crackles where they didn’t exist in 6.00, and 2) a delay in sound when monitoring (a guitar) through Cubase.

If I turn off the MBC, problems are gone.

I also added the MBC on the master bus to a couple of projects that did not exhibit the issues in 6.02, and it caused them to have both of these issues.

As I mentioned earlier, this is all at 64 samples. Windows 7 64-bit is up to date, and so are my firewire drivers (I did not install the very latest version of the MR816CSX drivers after reading about issues - just waiting for now).

I am going to go back to 6.00 now, and hope that Steinberg can duplicate the problem and come up with a fix.

And just for the record, the issues I mentioned here:

with MBC also exist in 6.02; took a moment to test while it was still installed.

Still very happy with 6.00, but hope you can fix this problem with 6.02, since it fixed another MBC problem that I have also experienced.

Thanks.

Good one, I’ve found that all of the projects I tested have the multi-bad comp too but I’m not sure that the problem actually goes away (rather than is reduced) when I remove it/them. I may try re-installing 6.0.2 and substituting the Cubase plugin set.vst file from the earlier release and see what happens. Still stable at 6.0.1 here.

Thanks for your updates, guys.

One question: Is there another way of going back to 6.0.1 than un-installing completely and re-installing?
Also, I think on my CD/DVD it’s version 6.0.0., is the 6.0.1 patch available still?

Thanks,
Lars

ok fellas,

I read somewhere inn this post that some of you are having a periodic crackle problem.

one thing to check is the core parking feature that windows 7 has, as it turns out windows 7 isnt very good at parking cores, (turning off cores that arnt being used) so every time it parks one you get a small latency jump or distortion.

This can be solved by telling the CPU not to park any cores. This is done in the registry, WARNING TO ALL the registry in windows tells the whole operating system how to work so BE CAREFUL, you can seriously screw up your OS or hamper performance by tampering in the wrong place…

First: open regedit, i.e. type regedit in the star menu search bar.
second: use the edit>find function to search for ‘0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583’
Third, look for the value ‘MaxValue’ and set it to 0, this will tell windows that 0% of the cores are parkable,

Youll have to find the key a few times depending on how many power profiles you have,

Also worth noting this is mainly useful on multicore CPU’s, Although it didnt solve the latecy and crackle with low buffers, it did get rid of the distortion blips that i was getting on my Phenom II X6

Hope this helps at least a few people.

Scradge.

I would not mess with the registry directly. I think if you just go to the control panel/hardware and sound/power options/ and then select “high performance” it will also prevent core parking. At least mine never park. There is also an option within Cubase that we guess is doing the same thing. Go to “device setup”, select “vst audio system”, then check “activate Steinberg Audio Scheme”. I say “we guess” because the help text points you to the Steinberg Knowledge Base, but so far, nobody has been able to find the article.

Also, a few posts back, I pinpointed the problem that was causing the specific crackling issue with 6.0.2 which caused me to start this thread, which is the Multiband Compressor. I hope Steinberg will issue a fix.