8.5 crash on startup.. videoengine.dll issue is back

I’m going to start a new thread here as this now relates to C8.5 as well…So in Cubase 8.0.40 everything was fine and dandy with the video and it all worked as it should. After upgrading to C8.5 I now have to remove the videoengine.dll file from the components folder again to get Cubase to boot into the hub.

This was a previous issue I had going from C6.5 to C7.5, and I will leave a link at the bottom of the post for the old thread related to this issue. All troubleshooting that was done in that case had been repeated here, and it appears the solution is exactly the same. Unfortunately, this also means I am again stuck with no video support in the latest version.

I guess my real question is, what was changed with the video component between C8.0.40 and C8.5? The last time around this was also submitted as a support ticket but steinberg was a bit less than diligent with the follow up, and after many a crash dump submission, I just decided to continue using 6.5 for video projects until the issue was fixed. Once we got to C8.0.4.0 the issue disappeared, but it is now unfortunately back again with a vengeance. Any help or suggestions on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

link to old post (same issue, different versions)…

Hi,

Dou you have Cubase 8.5.20 update installed? As far as I know, there should be the same video engine component in Cubase 8.0.40 and Cubase 8.5.20.

Yeah, it’s 8.5.20. It’s like they rolled back the video engine to a previous state or something. Importing and playing back video in 8.0.40 is just fine.