9.5 ping/ delay compensation is broken when in 64 bit mode

In 9.5, I get 0 when I check user delay/ping for External FX. The audio signal is passing through fine. It even sends the ping signal fine (it shows up on the AD converter post-round trip), but it just can’t calculate the delay. 9.0 using the same setup pings fine.

Update: 9.5 pings fine when set to 32 bit processing. In 64 bit mode, ping is broken, which makes me very suspicious about the basic integrity of delay compensation generally in 64 bit.

Windows 10 64 bit
RME RayDat

Confirmed!

I was wondering why I couldn’t ping the delay in CB 9.5. This is bad news for us who use external gear. It was working fine in CB 9.0.30.

No ping:

working ping:

I guess the workaround for now is to ping the delay in 32 bit on all of my gear and then switch to 64 bit and see what happens.

I am suspicious that delay compensation is messed up in general. Getting strange sync issues where the click is not lined up to the audio grid, and recording is offset late.

That sucks. 32 or 64 bit processing?

I am having the same problem with 9.5. It was working fine in 9.0.30. I was running a plugin on insert one then my external fx on insert 2. I though there was an issue with the version of plugin I had on insert 1. Seems to be 9.5 instead. Hope they come out with a update for this soon. I really like having 16 inserts in cubase and would rather use 9.5 then 9.

EDIT
Yeah, it is still sort of weird in 32bit. I may have to use Cubase 9 until there is an update.

I get this very same issue too since upgrading from 8.5… I haven’t tried 32 bit yet but the Ping always reports “0” in 9.5 64 bit mixengine for me in any case.
I really need to be able to ping at all times. A total showstopper for me so I’m back on 8.5 for now.

Just record your wave, measure the empty space before the transient divide it by samplerate and there is your delay, ping needs to work, but if not, this is how you do it.

Ditch 64 bit. It’s pointless anyway.

This is a good idea but my Prism Sound Orpheus can change it’s latency at any time during a session so it isn’t really feasable.
I need to measure the delay every time before i bounce anything analog (for peace of mind)

How would the prism do that? Normally the buffersize is set in the driver? Does the Prism have a dynamic buffer?

I’ve spoken to support at Prism Sound support about this and they just said that this is normal. I think it is crazy. My old RME-APOGEE setup always reported the same roundtrip delay no matter what i did. Prism Sound Orpheus drivers are barely hanging on by the skin of its teeth if you ask me.

Wow, that sounds insane, first time I’ve heard of that.

I am having exactly the same issue: when using cubase pro 9.5 in 64 bit the ping works (I can see the signal passing out of the DAC, through the gear it is connected to and back into the ADC), but it always reports 0 as the delay (which is of course wrong, and things are no longer in sync)

Can confirm the ping does not work in 64-bit mode (mac os 10.11)
I do think the latency reporting is broken in general.
Using my Bricasti via AES, each click of the ping button gives a different result, and each result sounds wrong/bad, I end up just having to tune the delay by ear or measure manually.

Can someone at Steinberg please test this out to confirm the issue.

I just found another thread with more people having the delay compensation issue

Still not working in 9.5.10.

Proof there’s a real fundamental problem with 64 bit delay compensation beyond just pinging external hardware.

I totally agree. If I remember correctly, it worked in CB 8.5 but not always and the results would vary. It got better in CB 9.0.
Not sure whats affecting this to not work properly in 64 bit, but it’s probably not a minor issue.

Unfortunately, this has been broken for a VERY long time for some people - even in 32-bit mode. Check out this thread:

Good catch. Thanks!!