A few important functions I miss

After a while using Dorico I have a few wishes for coming updates:

• Additional accidentals on tied notes after system break (couldn’t find that)
  • Increased lyrics input speed (much to slow at the moment)
  • Transport window and mixer should be able to stick in foreground
  • Easier way to start a cresc/dim. in the middle of a tied note (I have to use the scissor tool momentally, right?)
  • A way to change keycommands for note pitch input (midi-keyboard-like) C=A, C#=W, D=S, D#=E, E=D etc., ideally with automatic semantic decision if Eb or D# and so on… (without changing the keycommands json file)

A bug ?:

• Vienna Sound Library: all voices are routed to the first slot, in vsl ensemble itself all is fine, so the dorico mixer is useless

Thank you team for the good work and communication. I’m really looking foreward to cue notes!

Best,

Peter

Not necessarily. See here:

Thanks, fkretlow!!

Out of curiosity, what causes difficulty for you with lyric input? I find it delightfully easy and quick. I’ve set many hymns and can get 6 verses of text in in a matter of minutes.

“Increased lyrics input speed (much to slow at the moment)”
do you mean that the text is appearing very slow while entering it? I had this problem and was able to fix it with Daniels’ tip, it was part of another problem:

this is the part that helped me:
“if you go into Layout Options, and on the Staves and Systems page, set the ‘Fixed number of systems per frame’ option to 1. You should also find that inputting and editing is faster in galley view than in page view.”

Sounds normal to me. You either need a multi output plugin, or to use many instances with only a single instrument in each one if you don’t have a multi-output player/plugin.

When you load the plugin do you get several Dorico mixer faders (Usually 16 faders per plugin instance)?

If you get this, but all the audio is mixed down to the first Dorico Fader for the plugin; then, you need to set up the outputs for each instrument in the plugin itself.

If not:

Do you have more than one variant of the plugin? I.E. One for a single stereo output, and another supporting multiple outputs? If so, use the Multiple Output version and be sure to assign the instruments to the outputs desired from inside your Vienna Player.

If your player does not have a multiple output plugin version, then there is no way you can get individual faders for every instrument in the Dorico Mixer unless you ‘use lots of instances’ and just assign one instrument per instance. Dorico can’t help it if the plugin cannot address multiple audio outputs.

Depending on how the plugin was designed…stacking instances usually doesn’t add much if any overhead than using a single multi-timberal instance; so, if your Player doesn’t have a multi-output plugin don’t be afraid to stack lots of instances if you want to have more routing options with the FX send and insert effects that come with Dorico.

Brian is quite correct. If you have your VSL set up so that everything goes to one output then Dorico can’t do anything with that.

However, there is also another option: press the ‘MIDI’ button at the top of the mixer window to enable the MIDI volume mixer. Assuming that VSL responds to the MIDI channel volume controller (CC7) then this should also let you control the level of each instrument.

This is very nice! I had not realized this was possible. That’ll come in handy when using a plugin that has a nice set of built in effects :slight_smile:

We made a conscious decision to hide the MIDI fader by default because it can get very confusing to have the levels of a single destination controlled by two different means. Having a dedicated audio channel is superior in that you also have the chance to have inserts and EQ for each instrument. However, if you have a multi-timbral plugin that has multiple MIDI channels but only a single output then you won’t get the best from it. Fortunately most plugins like this do have the option to have separate audio outputs.