A few thoughts for an update

Maybe it is possible to think about these few points
Could you please put the menus in the pictures in an alphabetic order? For me as a non-permasnent-user it is always hard to puzzle out where which keyword is placed.

Could you please implementate/add a single function for enharmonic change. Just the „b“ to „#“ shortcut, additional to the advanced menu?

I know this was discussed before, but the system break possibility in write-mode would be really great.

Please publish the shortcut translation as saxer asked before in here

1. Could you please simplify and unify this instrument change menu? Some of the names are englisch, some Germans. Though I changed the language into German. And it would be great, if these names would be displayed exactly int the layouts…

Thanx for listening

The menu items you describe are indeed in alphabetical order in the English version, but we don’t have a good way of ordering them according to the localised language. It’s a good point, though, and I’ll make a note to try to figure out a way of doing this in a future version.

Regarding the instrument names, there is indeed an inconsistency in how Dorico approaches this at present: there is some overlap between the language chosen for the application’s user interface and the language chosen for the instrument names in the score itself. This is something that we will certainly address in a future version.

For your point 2. about enharmonic changes - do you mean shifting notes up a semitone without opening the Transpose dialog or respelling e.g. a G# as an Ab?

If you mean shifting notes up, see here. If you mean respelling notes without changing their pitch, see here.

I think he means like in Sibelius.A key that toggles all the enharmonic changes.

Jesper

Exactly, and for more advanced things (‘’##", “bb”) the known menu…
The shortcuts now are for me not really functional,
s.times its
control, option,ß,
somtiens just “ß”…and so on…

1 Like

And another things is that I´d find quicker, if there were the menu opening by clicking the arrow beneath the instrument.
I do not really understand the need of the 2. arrow opening function.

But really thank you for listening to this!!

1 Like

You might be running into situations where you can’t actually respell a note upwards or downwards - if there’s no way to spell a note with a different note name and 2 accidentals or fewer, Dorico won’t respell. They’re context-dependent, and there is a limit to “how far” you can respell a note.

And only between single accidentals, never to double sharps and flats (let alone triple :roll_eyes:). Thus only between C#↔︎Db, D#↔︎Eb, F#↔︎Gb, G#↔︎Ab and A#↔︎Bb.
Maybe add the enharmonic pairs C↔︎B#, B↔︎Cb, F↔︎E# and E↔︎Fb, because they don’t go beyond 1 accidental. D, G and A natural, and existing double/triple accidentals would not be affected.
In many musical styles (including atonal) this shortcut would cover close to 100% of respellings.
(Edit: added ‘feature-request’)

Dorico lets you respell using up to 2 accidentals, but because that means 2 accidental glyphs so you can actually have C#x for example. I think for a lot of notes, you can go up/down at least one note, and often up or down two notes in one direction. The examples in the manual demonstrate one note that can be spelled 4 ways using the respelling key commands.

The key commands (in English at least) Alt/Opt-- (dash) and Alt/Opt-= (equals - on the same keys as - and +) work on any note, regardless of whether they have an accidental or not (such as C/B# and F/E#)

I think for me, I always have to stop and think, do I want the respell from above or below. Quicker with just one command that you hit once or twice until it’s correct.
But then again, I’m a bit slow.

Jesper

@Lillie_Harris, I know that’s how respelling up and down (using alt-minus and alt-equals) works now, allowing even triple sharps and flats. That functionality doesn’t have to change.
But what @gogollny and I propose (see also this thread) is adding a simpler command that only respells to a neighbouring enharmonic with 1 accidental or less, and if at all possible.
It would work as a toggle, and would only need 1 keyboard shortcut to remember. (Like @jesele, I always hit the wrong key the first time). This toggle would be sufficient in most cases.

1 Like

This enharmonic issue has been discussed before on the forum, I can’t find the thread right now. But the upshot was that there are good reasons for Dorico’s implementation (instead of the Sibelius method of a single keystroke). Like Jesper, I had trouble with it at first, but now I’m pretty good at it.

Stream Deck with notation express has a button for respell flat to sharp and sharp to flat.

FWIW, Finale also has a “Flip Enharmonic” toggle that goes to the most common alternative:
Finale 9

I’ve sorta gotten used to Dorico’s shortcuts now too, but this gives the correct result the vast majority of the time and is simple to use.

2 Likes

I still want to keep the current options, but just to have an alternative toggle.

Jesper

Edit: But then again, I can live without it also.

I VERY STRONGLY want to second the request for a single keycommand to toggle simple enharmonic spelling just exactly like Sibelius does it with the return key.

I know how the actual implementation is working an why it works that way, I do not need an explanation, but it throws me off EVERY time I come back to Dorico after some time. I just want the toggle key as an additional option.
Please let me add that the german version of the key commands is AWKWARD, because for respelling in one direction its one key plus one modifier, respelling in the other direction needs the seme key but plus TWO modifiers.
I know this is due to a dead key in the german keyboard layout, we heard this many times before. But this is no excuse for not implementing a simple command to toggle enharmonics. It might not even get a default mapping, just let it sit in the shortcut menu for the user to decide if they assign it.

Please, with sugar on top…

+1 for a single shortcut for enharmonic toggle