A java error with steinberg download assistant

I just got a new computer for my studio. My Steinberg Download Assistant isn’t downloading anything. When I click ‘Install All’ I get this error:

java.security.PrivilegedActionException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "cmd" (in directory "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Install Assistant"): CreateProcess error=267, The directory name is invalid
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$6(PlatformImpl.java:294)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
	at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$null$3(WinApplication.java:178)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "cmd" (in directory "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Install Assistant"): CreateProcess error=267, The directory name is invalid
	at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1048)
	at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.install.WindowsInstallHelperAccess.startIfNeeded(WindowsInstallHelperAccess.kt:92)
	at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.download.aria2.DownloadServiceAria2.start(DownloadServiceAria2.kt:140)
	at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.download.DownloadService$DefaultImpls.start$default(DownloadService.kt:31)
	at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.downloadchoice.DownloadChoiceController.handleActionStartDownload(DownloadChoiceController.kt:295)
	at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.downloadchoice.DownloadChoiceController.handleActionButton(DownloadChoiceController.kt:165)
	at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.download.DownloadView$handleInstallAll$2$1$1.invoke(DownloadView.kt:431)
	at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.download.DownloadView$handleInstallAll$2$1$1.invoke(DownloadView.kt:430)
	at tornadofx.AsyncKt$sam$java_lang_Runnable$0.run(Async.kt)
	at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$5(PlatformImpl.java:295)
	... 6 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=267, The directory name is invalid
	at java.lang.ProcessImpl.create(Native Method)
	at java.lang.ProcessImpl.<init>(ProcessImpl.java:453)
	at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:139)
	at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:1029)
	... 15 more
1 Like

Hi,

Make sure, you have the latest Jave installed. Also make sure, you install it as administrator, please.

It seems your Download Assistant tries to use a directory that doesn’t exist. Try downloading the latest Download Assistant from the Steinberg Website, install it again so that it is a fresh install and then try to run it

yep, tried all that. What else you got?
in circles I’ve been going around in, I discovered a webpage where you can download individual bits through your browser, and I’m thinking of doing that, and then using the steinberg download assistant to reference the files that relate to my registered product.
I’d prefer to just use the download assistant, it’s been easy as in the past.

I’ve worked it out.
you have to create the folder it keeps looking for

2 Likes

Now it’s downloading the files, but the installation is failing for each file. The files need to be manually installed.
Why so glitchy?
Why would you want to upgrade your computer or change hard drives if it’s such a grind. And there’s so much that needs to be sort out, vst’s, effects and instruments, and drivers, and programs, and settings…

Hi,

To me it sounds like some permission issues with your system.

Nope

I am having the same issue, gave all amin rights to the steinberg apps

I am still with my Cubase 12

did you work it out? I have the same issue

Update Java to the latest version.

Create the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Install Assistant folder manually.

Run the Steinberg Download Assistant, click the Settings button, change the Download directory to something else.

Click the Cubase Pro 12 icon in the Steinberg Download Assistant and change the Target folder, or reset to default.

2 Likes

thanks rom, I am gonna try

I already did the “Install Assistant” folder manually.

What do you mean "change the Download directory? Where should I point it to? Sorry

Try any other folder, such as your Desktop or the folder that you normally use for downloads.

Hi,

I would avoid Desktop. This folder sometimes had some wired permissions on Windows.

by reading the javascript I worked out which folder it was trying to download the files to, and then I created that folder, and then clicked the install all again, everything got downloaded, then I clicked ok for every file that failed to install, and then I clicked show in folder option next to each file in the list, and double clicked the install files one at a time going down the list

I SOLVED 100% the way Romantique wrote

Update Java to the latest version.

Create the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Install Assistant folder manually.

Run the Steinberg Download Assistant, click the Settings button, change the Download directory.

Click the Cubase Pro 12 icon in the Steinberg Download Assistant and change the Target folder, or reset to default.

The Download Manager come back to work 100% as expected, no need to run the .rar files one by one

Thanks Rom!

1 Like

This worked for me too.
First I tried to copy the Download Assistant folder to the location the error says its looking for.

That didn’t work.
Made a blank directory there with the same name - that worked.

1 Like

Steinberg Download Assistant comes with its own Java runtime, so the version you’re maintaining on your system shouldn’t matter at all.

1 Like

Something still isn’t right here… I had to replace my OS drive, fresh version of windows 10. Latest Java, latest download assistant, created the install assistant folder, changed the download folder… the downloaded files aren’t the application though, just the ancillary components content. I can’t install Cubase 12… however, interestingly enough, I can install Cubase 11.

error installing cubase12 in steinberg down load manager
java.security.PrivilegedActionException: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program “cmd” (in directory “C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Install Assistant”): CreateProcess error=267, The directory name is invalid
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

can anyone help me to solve this problem.?
thank you

Hi there,

Background
by using the Steinberg Download Assistant to install Cubase Pro 12 on a second PC I run into the same original problem (Java error). The first solution from @Josh_Leon_Wilson and Romantique_Tp solved the Java error for me so that I was able to Download everything but still I could not install anything (same issue as @Josh_Leon_Wilson reported on september 09).
Installing the packageCubase Pro 12.0.40 - Application (required) manually did not change the problem but I noticed that this package did not install any *.exe file as @jaymz mentioned. So I reproduced the scenario from my first installation process which was in may 2022 on an another machine:
First, I deleted the version 12.0.40 in Windows apps and features. Steinberg Release Notes showed me that it must have been version Cubase Pro 12.0.20 in may 2022. I downloaded the version from steinberg support, installed it, then started the assistant again and now, everything worked like a charm. I guess that is why the file name has this additional mention “Application (required)” (~;~)

Solution in a nutshell:

1. As mentioned previously: Create the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Install Assistant folder manually.
  2. Download Cubase Pro 12.0.20 from
    https://
    o.steinberg.
    net
    /en/support/downloads/cubase_12/cubase_pro_12.html (scroll all the way down to OLDER CUBASE PRO 12 INSTALLERS)
  3. Install Cubase Pro 12.0.20
  4. Restart Steinberg Download Assistant.
    Now installation of all packages should work - at least it did for me.

(Since step 3 creates a Steinberg Install Assistant.exe in the Install Assistant folder one could probably skip the first step because this missing exe was probably the key issue. Anyway, I did not test it this way. )

Hope this helps some of you who - like me - did not realize the hint in the file name…
Regards