A quick question about the HSO...

Is the HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set included with Cubase 6 16-bit or 24-bit?

I currently have Cubase 5 and was considering buying the license for the Halion Symphonic Orchestra 16-Bit version until Cubase 6 came along :smiley: ā€¦bought that instantly so Iā€™m just wondering if Cubase 6 came with a better dealā€¦

When C5 was released there was a 60 day trial of Symphonic Orchestra but for ā‚¬99 (if I remember correctly) you could purchase a license.

Bargain IMHO. And now getting the new instrument set free! It keeps getting better :mrgreen:

as I understand itā€¦

with C5 you had a 90 day trial and an upgrade option to a full HSO licence.

With C6 you have a 90 day trial of the HSO sound library optimised for HalionSonic ,and an option to upgrade to a full HSO licence.

If you already have a full HSO licence you can access the updated sound library FOC.

Thatā€™s what iā€™m hoping anyway as I already have a full HSO licence!

is that right?

The C6 FAQ clearly explains that the new HSO VST Sound Instrument Set works for existing owners of HSO licenses because itā€™s the same license. If you didnā€™t buy the HSO upgrade offer that came with C5 then buying C6 wonā€™t give you a ā€œfreeā€ HSO. The good news is that you can get the same end effect ā€œat a very specialā€ (not specified though).

So being on CS5 at this time, if I purchase HS0 16 bit, come C6 or CA6 I will have access to the 24 bit library under HALion SE along with new GM content?

Clarification would be nice here please.

16-bit.

I donā€™t think youā€™ve lost out on anything (you gain C6, after all!). If you start C5, and look under ā€œSteinberg on the Webā€ in the Help menu, click "Buy HAL. Symph. Orch. ā€¦ " and you can already see some very interesting things :sunglasses:

I doubt it, nice though it would be. If you purchase HSO 16-bit, I imagine thatā€™s what youā€™ll have access to. Theyā€™ve changed the link now anyway so all you can purchase is the HSO VST Sound Instrument Set license.

Personally I havenā€™t found the quality of the HSO 16-bit library lacking in any respect in terms of technical sound quality ā€“ perhaps someone who owns the ā€œfullā€ version of HSO would care to comment?

[quote=ā€œMrSoundmanā€]

16-bit.

[quote=ā€œDanielAyoā€]
I currently have Cubase 5 and was considering buying the license for the Halion Symphonic Orchestra 16-Bit version until Cubase 6 came along > :smiley: > ā€¦bought that instantly so Iā€™m just wondering if Cubase 6 came with a better dealā€¦
[/quote]

I donā€™t think youā€™ve lost out on anything (you gain C6, after all!). If you start C5, and look under ā€œSteinberg on the Webā€ in the Help menu, click "Buy HAL. Symph. Orch. ā€¦ " and you can already see some very interesting things > :sunglasses:
[/quote]

Thanks MrSoundman I also had a look at the steinberg link, verrry interesting! :mrgreen:

How do you construct a 24 bit and a 16 bit version anyway? Record at 24 and chop it up and distribute to all instruments and then batch process and dither down the individual samples for the 16 bit version. Or use markers of some kind on the large recording?

If it wasnā€™t for the inherent imprecision in MIDI you would be able to compose a piece of music, play it back through both 24 and 16 bit versions and phase reverse one of them and the truth would be revealed?

Is the price difference worth it? Just more disk space unless you listen through $$$ hifi system enjoying the end product?

I have the 16 bit version and I just ā€¦ like it very much. Itā€™s good enough for being soloed without sounding all plastic and has lots of characters. I have some other libraries that complement HSO and they just donā€™t grab the attention which is a good thing for a background section.
But the HSO is ā€¦ s c a r y! :sunglasses:

Ok now Iā€™m scared.

So I pay 99 euro and get 16 bits under HALion SE = better engin but no additional content

Am I right with the above?

the missing link as it wereā€¦
something iā€™m just a little confused aboutā€¦ the included version of halionsonic seā€¦ is that time limited too or is there an included version of halionsonic that is time limited in addition to a non-time limited version of halionsonic se? it seems a little vague here. as there is an option to buy a halionsonic activation code too :confused:

So You donā€™t get the 24bit content in HALion Sonic Format
or does it use the installed content from the HSO Disks ???
So that if you install disks 2/4 & 3/4 you will get the 24 bit version

Answers please

The HALion Sonic SE is part of Cubase.
You can buy a HSO 16 bit and use it inside HALion Sonic SE, or if you have already bought it as a separate VSTi plugin that license will function in HALion Sonic SE as well.

Oh, sorry, never read this befor I answered ā€¦ :blush:

ā‚¬99 for 16 bit
ā‚¬499 for 24 bit
oh, yes of course they give it away! :laughing: