A shot across Steinberg's VST3 bow?

omg. exactly!
:rofl:

How original. Is that lame old joke all you can come up after several weeks ? Wowā€¦

gotta make it personalā€¦

Ableton meeting with u-he to discuss implementation in the coming weeks, very interesting if they adopt it. They took 10 years to adopt VST3, painfully slow. Some say they had some personal dislike to it? Who knows!

I donā€™t know if CLAPā€™s performance benefits will aid Ableton in anyway, itā€™s a CPU hog due to itā€™s ā€œliveā€ nature - so maybe thatā€™s what have them interested? Or the modulation options, perhapsā€¦?

3 Likes

The Sound Variation API is a completely different animal than to the format used to host Plug-Ins.

No-one said it was the same animal(?).

Reaper now has CLAP support via pre-release version (v6.64+dev0801). Interesting stuff! :clap:

2 Likes

Reaper fully supports it now in latest release.
I really hope Steinberg will support CLAP. I have come from Reaper, it has its place but Steinberg is willing to take on the big task of post audio, ATMOS ADR etc. It can also handle thousands of tracks in a template better than Reaper. Butā€¦

Let one open source ie CLAP take the batton with plugin formats. By the very nature of plugins and third party developers, it shouldnt be controlled like VST3 is, buy one company with an interest in gaining an advantage from it. That advantage should be focused on the DAW instead and thats becoming strikingly clear in this day and age.

The big players Avid, Steinberg and Apple are not going to stamp out the competition and users will eventually flow where there is a more even playing field.

Who knows, if they allow CLAP to take some of the load, then less resources supporting VST3 could be a good thing. Steinberg can focus on making their DAW more kickass.

1 Like

CLAP is the future; it has to be. For a DAW developer that wants to include a plugin system, the only real choice for a while was to use the competitions specification. Now, they can breathe. VST will be to Steinberg what AAX is to Avid. Then it will be to their benefit to support CLAP.

I noticed that AudioDamage plugins are now supporting CLAP

1 Like

Yep! The thing about standards is that there are too many of them.

1 Like

I DONā€™T KNOW WHAT CLAP IS, BUT I ALSO WANT VSTGUI.
As long as Steinberg hs removed the AUv2-export in the vstsdk 3.7, I tried with Juce, but I do not like the office like unpersonal GUI you make with it. VSTGUI was complicated but with better results.