A shot across Steinberg's VST3 bow?

I mean it is a Steinberg forum, so obviously there is going to be ‘fanboyism’ but seriously… CLAP is in ONE DAW, thats not even a major player and everyone is raving about how AWESOME it is already when its not even been around for more than what a week or two?

Reminds me of all the folks with nothing to say other than REAPER.

2 Likes

Yeah, but when you add “Linux” you have the holy trinity. Reaper with CLAP on Linux is the holy grail. Just imagine the music we’d create on that.

2 Likes

A very useful feature of CLAP is that the format supports plug-in metadata. So no need to load plug-ins to get their info as other legacy formats currently do (VST2, VST3).

1 Like

audacious statement to make before the 10 years

… oe before more than one DAW actually supports it…

Well, fans.

Yes, I think CLAP will come into it’s own by the time MIDI 2.0 starts becoming established. It’s such a clean concept with how metadata is handled, and different lanes of data for automation vs modulation.

i.e. a modulator is not going to affect the position of parameters, whereas automation would.

Performance so far has been very good, too. :clap:

2 Likes
1 Like

LOL, that’s perfect :sweat_smile:

MIDI 2.0 as well , don’t leave that out. Said to show up in 2057

1 Like

With all the CLAP buzz it is interesting to consider, that a lot of plugin developers use frameworks like JUCE (well known and wide spread) to develop plugins, so that they can (for the most part) develop against that framework and each plugin binary (or binary package) can be built from that single code. On the other side that means as well, that such frameworks more often than not just implement something along the lowest common denominator or intersection of the feature sets of all supported plugin formats.
Each plugin format provides some unique features, which cannot be supported for other formats. Such features are often not supported or require hacks of some kind to be useable. If such special features are desired, there often is no alternative than to directly develop using the particular SDK for the format (VST3, AAX, AU, …) - which of course multiplies the work efforts significantly.

E.g. VST Note Expression suffer from that issue, as most 3rd parties do not support that - because it is primarily supported by the VST3 SDK only. The situation with CLAP specific funtions wouldn’t be any different - at least not for quite some time.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Exactly

Oh please not another plugin format. There are way too many audio plugin formats out here as it is.
But Steinberg screwed up with vst by realeasing vst3 in different extension instead of updating vst.
AU plugins are AU not matter how old. No headaches. While vst there’s vst2 and then vst3.
We just want to make music not scratch our heads which plugins is which format and if it will work in this daw or that daw.

2 Likes

This is the best article I’ve found regarding this topic: The Clever Audio Plugin [LWN.net]

2 Likes

Thanks for the link.

I find this an interesting use case:-

One other way to help CLAP adoption is to wrap CLAP plugins for existing APIs so that plugin developers do not have to care about hosts’ support for CLAP. The host application would see something like, for example, a VST3 plugin, but there would be a CLAP plugin inside. There is a new project called claptrap that aims to give developers convenient tools to do just that.

1 Like
2 Likes

Sorry, but you really have no idea how much of your digital life is run on linux systems. :slight_smile:
And you are just wrong about how much impact linux has had on the digitalization of things and… the Internet.

If people knows the name of an operating system or not is totally irrelevant. People doesn’t know the name or model of air planes either. It doesn’t reflect how well something is used. I bet a lot of the devices you have at home and at your office uses linux without you knowing anything about it.

Even Microsoft uses Linux, take a look at the Windows 10 subsystem. You can run linux natively in Windows.

Some things, not everything, just works better as open source projects, but more importantly, the type of governance and license model used is what is really interesting. Your statement just shows your ignorance about what open source really is or can be. And what it isn’t. “Open source” doesn’t say ANYTHING about the licensing or governance.

Standards definitely benefits from being “open source”.
Anyone can develop and sell products on a standard without any constraints if any of the good licensing variants are used. Like the MIT license that CLAP uses (afaik). It’s freedom for both users and developers. If more developers can develop plugins, because they aren’t in any ugly license agreements, more plugins will be made. Both freeware and commercial plugins. Also, new functionality that benefits the users can be added without some company’s commercial view of things.
Developers are obviously think that VST3 is harder to implement and lacks MIDI functionality (something Steinberg officials has openly admitted). VST3 puts some constraints on developers (and thereby also users). Both on the technical and licensing side. It is obviously complicated and takes a lot of resources/time to implement VST3. CLAP seems to be very easy to implement and has support for a lot of really useful and interesting things that VST3 does not support so far (is it 14 years ago VST3 came along?).

Let’s see what happens, any way it goes, competition makes the products better.

6 Likes

I see that TAL are now releasing CLAP formats of their plugins, TAL-Drum, TAL-U-No-LX and TAL-DAC are already available.

The adoption rate seems to be very quick for those developers wanting to offer CLAP - makes me wonder if these are just simply wrapped VST’s at this stage. Will try TAL-U-No-LX tonight and see I guess.

1 Like

You can count on that.

Well, if devs like to throw extra CPU cycles at their (Bitwig) customers.

wrapped

CLAP an easy 20-30% gain on CPU from the plugs I’ve tried. Very impressed, not to mention the additional modulation options.

If these are wrapped then massive credit to the optimisation. If they’re not and ported then - wow, it truly is quick to develop for. :+1:

Gotta be wrapped though.

3 Likes

Obligatory xkcd;

8 Likes