advertising second hand equipment in the forum

new room for advertising equipment

• room for advertising
  • the most stupid idea ever thought of

0 voters

this is just some thing that " NorthWood MediaWorks" (sorry i don’t know your name sir )got me thinking about by posting about a garage sale .

just wondering what other people think about the possibility of steingberg allowing us to advertise second hand and unwanted studio gear to the members of steinberg in a separate room ? im sure its been spoken about millions and zillions of times but i couldn’t think of any place better to sell DAW ,studio equipment and instruments which we find hard to acquire in our own countries .

do you think its a good idea or just a foolish demented impossible to implement idea by a deaf hobbyist ? WWWHHAATT I CANT HEAR YOU ?

Wohoo! 1st Vote!
Actually I think that’s a great idea!

Though if you’re selling it rather than giving it away, the term “unwanted” might not be that great a selling tool though. :wink:

Yeah, I have this Behringer mixer that I don’t want anymore because it sucks. I’m asking 200$ for it. :laughing:

yes sorry about the “unwanted” part john ,i have actually sold unwanted gifts before normally from an ex :smiley:
hi steve
the ebay thing is ok but just think it would be a lot safer to buy from a forum for which your a member (can’t sell dodgy bass stations ). yes any place would be a cool ,just wondered weather there was some sort of legal implication as to why no one has mentioned it (iv’e searched the old forum but to no avail )?
Its all Northwoods fault for instigating the idea to this pea brain but i think it could be a cracking idea .

any reason why not steiny i have loads to sell :laughing: :laughing: ?

Gearslutz has a separate section of their forum for selling gear and a lot of members greatly prefer it to eBay – feels a bit more safe/reliable. A lot of activity occurs there

Agreed :sunglasses: Like Doug says, Gearslutz has a section for such things. One or two other muso forums too. It’s a good idea and gets clutter out the way on the other forums.

I like the idea, but it would be perhaps in some ways impractical in terms of how international we are here, but if the buyers and sellers could work out the shipping and all other details aside, then why not.

Someone at SB would have to moderate it, which might not fly, however.

regards

Maybe Steinberg could appoint a Mod (from the members here?) who’s savvy with wheelings and dealings?

Good idea, but a separate room would be the best option, I think.
Keeps the Lounge neat and tidy…

… ahem…

:smiley:

I would say that giving any ordinary member any extra powers is a very bad idea in all isntances.

paul for chairman ! :astonished: :astonished: :laughing:

i agree with you paul ,some power hungry insane individual might take over and rule the worldddddddd ! i mean the room :astonished: :laughing:

I’m against it. I’m bombarded by commercials with someone trying to sell me crap everywhere I turn. To have more of that here is unacceptable. Steinberg has the policy not to allow it in place and I hope it stays there. Already I see a post here trying to sell something. :imp:

Besides, if I’m looking for gear I want brand new not someone else’s unwanted crap. That especially goes for magazines. I don’t want something someone’s grubby fingers, sticky from who-knows-what, have been all over. :open_mouth:

I don’t think it’s a stupid idea but there are other places better suited for selling gear.

So voted the only option other than agree, the most stupid idea ever thought of :laughing:

Errr… how many neat and tidy lounges do you know of??? :laughing:

I’d be interested surely. It would be the most trusted place for me to get second hand gear from.
But then strictly for used gear from other users, not retailers obviously.

Nah, it’d be restricted to just that particular area.

But if it’s in a segregated section of the Forum, you can completely ignore its existence altogether

I’ve bought/sold a few things with guys I met here (an at Nergs) and it was nice to skirt the various ebay fees and even haggle a bit – it’s fun* – over the price

*old used car guy speaking

I’ve found that in reality that is very difficult for some. From my experience of forums over the last 12 years even when you’ve a thread title that explicitly and honestly describes the subject matter you still get people opening the thread, reading the contents and then complaining about it.

See Doug going by the seemingly sensible logic of

But if it’s in a segregated section of the Forum, you can completely ignore its existence altogether

… you could also argue that a “Non Music Lounge” sub-forum could also be created here and then people who only wanted to talk about music wouldn’t ahve to be subjected to non musical subjects.

but of course that’s not going to happen either.

I think and respect that the reasons given for not creating a buy and sell forum would be the same reasons for not creating a non-music lounge … i.e There are other places on the Net for such things. Which is fair enough. :slight_smile:

I would welcome a forsale section if it were not for the fact that Steinberg is not a USA based company. Even when we have an English language section - that merely covers “everyone who does not speak German” across the entire world(The other 1/2 of the 2 languages these forums are available in).

We could be basically selling to only those small percentage of people who are in our area.

On the other hand I think it may be the ONLY place I can sell this unwanted VINTAGE dotted sixteenth note rest I have had collecting dust on my desk for years. I can even throw in a FREE keychange at no additional charge - as long as you live near my place in Manila, Philippines.

Everyone who does not speak German actually speaks English.

We could be basically selling to only those small percentage of people who are in our area.

… so I don’t understand that comment.

And … what’s the USA got to do with anything? You appear to be saying that you would welcome a For Sale section if Steinberg were a USA based company? I don’t understand the reasoning behind that.

On the other hand I think it may be the ONLY place I can sell this unwanted VINTAGE dotted sixteenth note rest I have had collecting dust on my desk for years. I can even throw in a FREE keychange at no additional charge - as long as you live near my place in Manila, Philippines.

I have a 6db Boost at 14kHz ( with a wide bell curve and little phase shift ) for sale. it’s pristine. I think i’ll put it on Ebay. :slight_smile:

All I’ll say in rebuttal is that gearslutz has had a used gear buy/sell/trade section of its forum for some time now, it’s there at the bottom of the scroll, I’ve noticed its existence, but I have never once opened it up to look at it nor felt the inclination/need to do so. And it’s a nice, no-fees service for the niche market that comprises its membership. A far cry from a “Non Music Lounge” since THAT carries the potential to be inflammatory and incendiary… and what musician gets offended by reading about “gear for sale?” :unamused:

But hey, if Steinberg doesn’t want to be bothered, that’s cool. The pool of buyers is much bigger at GS than over here anyway