aleatorism and independent meter in Dorico 2_general toughts and questions

Hello, Dorico 2 has great improvements in some fields, but for my workflow – still – the biggest problem are aleatoric techniques. It’s very hard to menage open meters in big score.
I decided to make one topic, wherein I will be posting, when I will have a problem or suggestion for the next developement of this feature. So…

1. There is still problem with implementing independent open meters without barlines in individual instruments.
    I described this problem here:

“Time signatures on single staves (problem with barlines)”

And here:
“Independent time signature horror”

I can independly change barline shape, but I can’t remove the barlines (Dorico creates barlines, when global time signature changes). This will be the solution. But better solution will be to have possibility to define the range of bars you want to have open meter. And in this case Dorico didn’t create barlines within this range. Now it creates every time I am changing global time signature.
Only possible solution for now is to input the global meter to this aleatoric part and change every other part – one by one – to independent meter. It’s very complicated in big score.

1. Big time signatures. It’s a very useful feature and it’s extremely usefull in big score with aleatoric techniques. But you can’t have big time signatures and independent open meter in individual instruments, because when you input local time signature, the big global time signature disappears and local signature just not appears. It happens, when you have in the same bar global time signature change and local as well. If you input local time signature in a bar, in which you don’t have global time signature change, the local one just don’t appear.

2. Even when it could be possible to have big global time signature and local open meter in the same time, it won’t work because of what I’ve written in point 1. Now the only way in aleatoric music is to set open meter as a global time signature and rest of ensemble as local time signatures, so you won’t have big time signature anyway.

3. Next topic is my idea with using music frames for aleatoric music, which I desrcibed here:

“Aleatoric piece and music frames idea”

The main problems are:
– if I create music frame from second frame chain, I can’t glue it to music frame from master chain. The result is, that when bars from master chain moves to next page (because e.g. I create more music before them), the frame from second chain still remains in previous page. There is no way to “lock the page” with all graphic elements.
– problem with manuall staff spacing. In my case I have to move some staffs manually to the bottom of the page, because I have my second frame chain in the middle. But when the bars moves to next page (because e.g. I create more music before them), manual staff spacing is coming back to the automatic properties. Still, it would be wonderfull to have something like “lock the page”. All elements from the page could change the page, but stick together.

In the „Dorico 2.0 version history there is a sensence: „Undoing the addition of a local time signature to an individual instrument now always correctly reinstates the previous global time signature.”
When I create new local time signature and delete it, its working. But I am trying to reinstate global time signature in my score from Dorico 1 and it’s not working. The local time signature just „hides”, but remain local.
What is the proper way to reinstate global time signature?

There is still no way to do this: once you have had a local time signature on a staff, there is no way back to having no local list of time signatures for that staff. This is something that will change in future, but not imminently.