Allow dragging files from Pool Trash into track

Currently you are not able to drag files from the pools trash into the arrangement - you have to first drag them into the audio files folder above, and THEN you can drop them into the track.

Why?

This limitation has been written into the Cubase and there is no logical reason for it - there are no ‘safety’ issues for it, it simply requires you to do more clicking and fudging when you decide you do want to use a file that’s there.

Particularly annoying because deleted takes get put in the trash automatically without my authorisation :angry:

Can we please get rid of this.

2 Likes

probably because you don’t want to mix the two together. the trash is the trash… you don’t want users depending on it. if you do a project back up/remove unused files - it removes everything in the trash.

if you don’t want deleted takes going into the trash, then ‘Create New Track Version’, that’s why that utility is there.

A file that is trashed, means that it is not used anywhere in the project.

Everything works perfect, this is a non-issue.

Sorry but I courteous disagree with everything in your post!

Every computer has a trash bin so users are well aware of what they do and how they work - files can be moved to and from at will, until the decision is taken to delete them permanently.

I’m asking the same thing to apply here - if I drag a file from the Cubase’s internal trash back into my arrangement, it would of course be moved back into the Audio Pool automatically because it is now being used! I just want to be able to do this without first having to drag it through a sea of treacle as I scroll it back up and into the audio pool.

This ‘perfect’ feature doesn’t protect a single thing, it’s simply another example of the program unnecessarily getting in the way of workflow.

Project backup or permanent deletion of unused files is in no way effected by this request - it would carry on working in exactly the same way.

Deleted takes should always remain in the pool as unused files, just as many other audio files will be. Track Versions are not the answer. Their use suggests that you think all audio takes should simply be kept in place in the arrangement forever?

Have you considered or seen how unwieldy this gets with big sessions? It might be alright when recording the odd vocals, but my sessions are way too big to work in this way. Cubase’s GUI is just way too slow and unwieldy, and there are still too many bugs with Track Versions, Comping and Folder Group editing to be able to safely work in a ‘keep everything forever’ manner.

Fundamentally the trash in Cubase when emptied should move files from the projects Audio Files folder to the computers trash, and NOT erase them over the operation of the OS. This should have been changed years ago as well.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure files don’t end up in the trash, until you ‘Remove Unused Media’.

the limitation prevents people from dragging in files from trash without realizing they are trashed files, as, if you have the pool folders expanded and there are a lot of files (and or they’ve used the pool search function), one may not realize they are dragging in trashed files when they don’t want to. If you do a pool search, it searches both the trash and audio folder, so the limitation differentiates - if the user comes across a file they want in their pool search, and they try to drag it into the project and they can’t - then they know that file was deleted, thus they drag it back into the project pool, and then back into the project - that might be critical knowledge to know something was deleted.

Sorry - record a take and then delete it and it goes directly into the trash.
This doesn’t happen when you delete any other audio from the arrangement page in the same way - it stays in the Audio Pool, where it should be.

But what if you DO want to drag a file from the trash into the session? What if you DO realise exactly what that file is, where it is and what it is???
If you are looking in the trash, then you know that at some point it was deleted! This is Cubase Pro not Beginner or Junior!
It’s a DAW not a jet made by Boeing - you don’t crash and die by not following the authorised check list!
And if a search doesn’t tell you that the file is in the trash, then it should! Not simply stop you in your tracks without informing you why.

Come on - I’m trying to get back time that’s regularly wasted on a stupid and unnecessary quirk - one of many that’s plagued me dailyfor the last 20 years. Don’t tell me you don’t have your own?

I don’t understand - record a take then delete it? Just ctrl-z to undo, and it goes right back into the audio folder? how often are you deleting takes you don’t intend to delete? I guess I just don’t get how this is an issue, it takes one second to drag out of trash into pool. I’ve probably spent less than 10 seconds in 20 years doing this.

But I guess it could be changed…

It’s one second of time. Over 20 years, I can count on my fingers how many times I’ve needed to get something out of trash that was erroneously put there.

ctrl-z only works immediately after deletion - not much use a few days or weeks later.

Here’s this weeks example -

On a track that it was always presumed would have a fade out, it was decided to have a written ending. No one plays any long root notes during the song that can be re-used, but luckily most of the musicians naturally played one at some point during tracking when the track stopped.

So I need to grab all those old unused takes out of the trash ('cause Cubase decided to automatically put them there for me…), move them into the Audio Pool and then drag them into the session so I can find those notes I need.

As I said before - its just another one of those little things that life’s just too short for. If you think its currently perfect then hell, we could have a preference for it :exclamation: Win Win.

+1.

Why would you delete those? That’s sort of on you. As a producer, I strategically keep all sorts of extra tracks as well as raw tracks… The only thing that gets deleted are 100% bad and unneeded takes. I utilize track versions to maintain each incarnation of the track - raw recordings, editing, DOP processing, etc. And or, I duplicate the tracks, put them in a folder for exampled named “raw recordings”, disable the tracks, and then hide them. I also create multiple ‘Backup Project’ backups at different stages of the project.

You should not be depending on the ‘Trash’ as a back tracking device for material even though it does exist for that reason, it exists for user error and for project clean up. Getting things out of the trash a week later is just pure erroneous work ethic.

Jeez - this is getting a bit OTT…

If I ever need a lesson in the correct and proper way to conduct operations of this program I’ll PM you - I presume you’ve been vetted and officially certified by Steinberg?

1 Like

No I’m not vetted, you’re just using the trash in a way that doesn’t make sense and is not intended, giving it to you straight - nothing personal.

I never understood this “I don’t need this feature so neither do you” approach that some people seem to have. So unnecessary and pointless.

I agree with the OP, didn’t even know that you couldn’t just drag straight from the Trash. It’s not uncommon to have hundreds or thousands of files in the pool. If you find something you need in the thrash, what’s the problem with being able to drag them straight to the project (and having them automatically moved up from Trash to Audio) without taking any detours? A perfectly valid feature request.

Because some of us would rather see Steinberg spend time elsewhere.

The trash is treated differently, because it is the trash. It’s just like how on Windows, you cannot explore the contents of files/folders that are in the trash.

Then at least admit that the current situation where Cubase arbitrarily puts files into the trash of its own accord should stop - that way I’ll never have files in there that need moving and thus upsetting you!

When you delete a file on the arrange page that’s been imported, it stays in the pool.
When you delete a recording take it goes straight in the trash - WRONG, in any way shape or form. It should behave exactly the same.

Just as on an OS, I, and only I, should put files in the trash.

I also vehemently oppose the fact that when the trash is emptied, Cubase bypasses the OS and physically deletes the files permanently - they should just be removed from Cubase’s Pool and Audio Files folder and put in the OS trash, where I can decide if and when to delete them

Why? Recorded files and Imported files are two different actions, it doesn’t make sense to treat them as the same.

The import protocol is different, because people sometimes import files enmasse to the pool, as essentially a reserve of files. This is what the ‘Library’ protocol is essentially, you can Import one projects pool into another projects pool. A ‘Library’ can be an organized collection of multiple pools.

Recorded files are immediately new events of which the user is/should be aware of whether they are keepable or not, so deleting them straight to trash makes sense, and then when the project is backed up, these uneeded files can be optionally purged. That is efficient project management and I do it - ALL - THE - TIME. If they were to fulfill your request, I would have to now work around and it and probably do multiple steps to delete blatantly obvious unneeded files and edits. This makes zero sense. The current system is perfect. The program provides multiple utilities to keep and organize “maybe needed takes”.

If you want a work around for - what you want - you can just bounce your newly recorded files and then delete them, and the bounces will remain in pool instead of the trash…

Let me give you an example of why what you want - makes no sense:

I’m recording a 3 piece band - guitar, bass, drums… I ask the band if they’re ready, they say “yes”, I say “rolling”, hit record, band starts the song together but whops, the bass players volume knob was down, band stops playing after a second knowing it’s a false start.

You’re telling me, if I delete that take… it shouldn’t go straight to trash…? If your idea was implemented, I would have to go into the pool to find all these junk takes and manually drag them to trash?

Particularly annoying because deleted takes get put in the trash automatically without my authorisation > :angry:

You’re giving your authorization when you press the delete key.

This is just how the program works, and it’s actually fairly logical once you understand it. You’re not using the program right, you’re not utilizing the multiple utilities or topologies to preserve “maybe needed” takes, and so your work ethic has an issue here. The protocol of deleting newly recorded files is designed to get rid of blatantly unneeded things and then purging them, to keep the project organized and reduce it’s size which saves a lot of back up time. Files stay in the trash in case of the occasional mistake between the deletion and the purge in which maybe a user has lost their undo history.

You simply should not be using the trash the way you are, which is probably why it is limited in function - - - so that users don’t erroneously depend on it like you are. I’m trying to help you, engineer to engineer so please accept this as if we are building a bridge in which peoples lives are at risk, and you’ve overlooked something in your design, there shouldn’t be this kind of resistance to critical counter input.

1 Like

Why over-complicate this? Allow users to drag a clip from the trash to the project window if they want to. Then you can stick to how you do things and others will have additional functionality. You make it sound like it will cause problems. I think the universe can survive this ordeal.

1 Like

No, I already explained why and you are simply refusing to acknowledge that explanation.

:laughing: Christ…

+1
Why not?
As long as the files are automatically added back to the Pool again I don’t see the problem.