And again..hiding bars // showing single systems.

I am really as sorry as frustrated . I am spending really hours by hours in front of the program, but I do not really get “behind” the concept.
Every single problem that appears seems to be unsolvable by the video tutorials, the German manuals and the forum search.
Until I get here to ask I don’t get to an answer by my own research.
Thats really annoying.

It takes so much time, for me and for the kind people that help here in the forum.
I never made this experience before. Not with logic, Ableton, final cut or whatever.
I am really lost with this “concept” which, sorry, seems to me absolutely not self explaining. And even if I try to get help from the mentioned media… no solution.

This time I
tried to find out how to hide bars / Takte ausblenden. No answer in the manual , just hiding rests in empty bars…
My Vc starts in bar 29. In the XML there are no bars before, but now there are 28 empty bars just wasting space…

I tried to display the Vc only to work on it. But there is no Einzelstimmen anzeigen// show single systems in the manual or my google search.
I exported the whole for Stringquaertet voices in one XML File, because when I do 4 Files it jumps around in Dorico after importing and puts 4 Flows, a new one every 40 bars.

So after that I imported all in one and it is ok displayed. But now I don’t manage to display it as a single system.
Nit a double-click to enable or choosing one of the four voices in Einrichten / Schreiben / Notensatz leads to result.

Dear Gogollny,

I would be happy to help you understand some things about Dorico’s concept :wink:
First (and probably not the easiest thing) : don’t try to reproduce a workflow from another program. You will fight the software and probably waqte some precious time.
You cannot hide things in Dorico. Actually now you can hide some things, but it is not the way the software works. You can hide empty staves.

One very easy and efficient thing you can do with Dorico is create a layout. If you need to see only the cello, select the cello layout (which already exists in Dorico, unlike other programs where the user needs to extract the cello part.
In the full score layout options > Vertical spacing, choose to hide empty staves — the cello staff will only appear on the system that reaches bar 29…
Hope this helps! Please don’t refrain from using our help, we do it freely and wholeheartedly :blush:

Dear Mark, thank you very much for your answer. Maybe I cannot express myself correctly. I totally do not try to reproduce any other Workflow from any other program. Because I realized quite fast that this is not the way to any solution.
My problem is, as I tried to explain, that I do absolutely not understand the way dorico and the company offers help. Except this forum where many people are very kind and patient to answer questions.
The first things that I’ve tried to help myself is trying to find a solution in the manual, on YouTube Tutorial, or in the forum search…
But No matter if I try to do enharmonic change or to put in some lyrics whatever else or to hide some bars or putting systems on one page or whatever. It always leads to the point you have to ask something which cost so much time for both sides. Me asking and can’t you and others Answering.

Bad back to your answer on the concrete Problem.

I Already did what you suggested. I went to the einrichten page, I don’t know the world in French or English sorry, and choose the cello layout on the right side of the offered Layouts. But nothing changed all four Layouts violin one, two, Viola und Violoncello are still displayed.
Tried to get around with the vertical space option as of yet in an online tutorial and the manual:
Nothing changed.
And this is my problem that I do not know how to help myself. Because sorry to say that again, dorico seems not that much self explaining or at least intuitiv.

Cheers

I have no idea what the German here says, but the equivalent English version is pretty clear: Leere Notenzeilen ausblenden/anzeigen

With files that are XML imports, there can be issues with items preventing empty staves from hiding - such as clefs. If you’ve got your hiding empty staves settings as you want (and are definitely viewing the correct layout with those settings), you could try to select the clefs at the start of each system for the cello - if you can select them and they turn orange, delete them. There are other users here with more experience with the sorts of things that can cause XML imports to behave a bit differently than projects started directly in Dorico who might be able to suggest other things if that doesn’t work.

That’s certainly the obvious one, but it was theoretically fixed in 3.0. There’s still the possibility of explicit time signatures (or explicit barlines), I believe, which will typically show as red signposts as long as Time Signature signposts are turned on.

Hallo,

Vielleicht ein Paar Gif Dataien können hilfreich sein (a couple of gif files may help)

Leere Notenzeilen ausblenden.gif
Leere Notenzeilen ausblenden.gif
Einzelstimmen-Layout.gif

As for showing a single stave, the easiest way is to switch to the part layout. You can do this from the dropdown at the top of the screen, but it’s quicker to select something on the stave you want to look at and hit W. With anything selected in a part layout you can hit W and will be returned to the score.

Edit: counterpart layout is W on English keyboards. I don’t know about German keyboards off the top of my head…

no idea what the German here says, but the equivalent English version is pretty clear:

Yes so clear. But it does at work
But I already tried this.
As I said.
And it does not work

The same with the layout

Wehn I am in einrichten mode
Or wherever… And choose one of the layouts from the Wright side, below
Partitur button: there are always all four voices displayed in the main window

Are these xml bugs??

Ah, clicking layouts in the panel on the right in Setup mode doesn’t change which one appears in the music area in the middle - to do that, follow Leo’s instructions in the post before yours.

(Another thing to mention, and I’m not sure whether this is just a cross-language thing, but what you’re calling “voices” are instruments in Dorico - for example, a separate staff for the cello. It’s not massively important now, but just in case you are searching for voices later - in Dorico, there can be multiple voices on a staff, mainly one up-stem voice and one down-stem voice, but this is not synonymous with “instrument”)

How can I upload pictures here?

Thanx

I tried exactly what you suggested. But it crashed the whole layout. All spaces are totally in disorder , all bars on one page. with baronies of 10 cm…

its endless

If you click the “Full Editor & Preview” button there’s an “Attachments” section that you can drop pictures into. Alternatively put your pictures on imgur.com or similar, then copy and paste the link here with img tags (or paste the url and click the image button at the top of the Full Editor).

I Trend to insert the wright space manually but the changes do not appear in the layout

Start off by deleting that Rahmenumbruch!

To see a part (in Write or Engrave mode), you need to pull down the drop-down menu at the top center of the screen (as Leo mentioned earlier). Choosing a layout on the righthand side will not switch you to see that layout.

Are you trying to hide cello measures or to use multi-measure rests?

Dorico cannot create “cut-away” layouts (yet).

hide cello measures

Yes.

But when I do the whole layout crashes. Than I delete the Rahmen… but than D puts just two bars in one row… which leads to 12 pages… too much.
Then when I try to to put in some system breaks, the space between the system spaces runs out of order and you can’t read the nots anymore… … and so on and so on…

its somewhere between frustrating and boring.

I give it up with piece and delete the project.
Will send the notation from LX.

Thanx everybody for spending the Sunday here.

Anyone around who wants to buy a Dorico 3 license ? :confused:

If you’ve still got that project saved (as described in your last post, with overrunning systems etc) please post it as an attachment here and I’ll take a look in the morning, and see if I can give you some helpful pointers. I am 100% certain it would be salvageable, please don’t give up hope!

To attach a Dorico project, just zip it up (so it has the .zip file extension) first then add it using the Full editor & preview here.

@Lillie Harris
very kind. But I stopped working on that project in Dorico and deleted the session.
Will have to think about selling it and maybe trying another solution.
Thank you

Gogollny, I’m really sorry you’ve had difficulty getting used to Dorico. It is a powerful application that requires a bit of getting used to - myself included! as I was familiar with a different software and it took me a little while to get my head around how best to use Dorico. This forum is an excellent place to get any help you need in order to settle in.

I would be really interested in seeing your project (if you’re able to recover it) or another one that you discussed in another thread maybe? Not only to give you some really specific feedback that might help you, but also to inspire better examples/explanations/tips that I could then add to the documentation for new users - there are only so many scenarios I can picture or hear about myself, and likewise different phrases people use to describe various actions, so seeing & hearing how other people have approached Dorico from scratch is really informative.