Annual Request: Command Window

It’s totally the wrong time of year for these, but this is another one of those ‘high concept’ things.

I’m all about keycommands. I HATE, HATE, HATE taking my hands off the keyboard to mouse.

However, I have to admit that Cubase has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many functions for key commands. And keycommands are simply too hard to keep track of. I am constantly forgetting the more arcane assignments. And if one has lots of macros and PLEs it’s insane.

The solution is something that many programming editors and Adobe Creative Suite has: a Command Window. Basically, an empty floating window where you can place a list of your favourite functions. You keep that floating on yer desktop off to one side and then have instant access to all those infrequently used (but important) functions that are buried (or not present) on the main menu.

And double plus good: when you hover over each button in the Command Window it would give you a tooltip of the keycommand–which would serve as a reminder and learning tool.

I would go even further, I’d like a command line that I can call up with a key command and then type the functions i want to use. Something like bash or powershell, with command completion and maybe even online help. That could also serve as a scripting interface, updating the old and cumbersome macro system.
But yes, a floating command window (or configurable command bar( that you can put your favorite functions on would be a great start.

This request is maybe partially relevant to this