Any Halion 7 rumours?

Groove Agent can go on a soft eLicenser on its own, and frankly it’s likely to move over to Steinberg Licensing before the Absolute Bundle does. Groove Agent 5 SE is there, so the work has already been done.

This workflow is 10x as much work that takes 5x longer to execute.

The whole point of Groove Agent 5 is it copies and pastes the [for example] MPC workflow into Steinberg’s DAW with a well-integrated sampling solution. If you’ve ever sampled with MPC or Maschine, you won’t want to go back to recording things to the arranger and then manually chopping things up to drag to pads - not that you ever need to do that, since the Sampler Track 2 can trigger slices…

And I don’t know why you’d want to use HALion 6 for this over Groove Agent 5… like, ever… beyond obvious “I own one and not the other” situations.

The way you describe doing it, is how some YouTubers show people how to do it in Studio One using Impact XT and an Atom Controller.

That radically different to using Groove Agent 5, Maschine or MPC to sample.

If you want to record audio clips and trigger slices, you can do that with Sampler Track 2. You don’t need Groove Agent - SE or otherwise - for that. You can also use something like Serato Sample, Battery 4 and other tools for that.

If you already own Maschine 2 or MPC 2 (either stand-alone or via hardware purchase), you can use those as plug-ins to accomplish this, instead. Groove Agent 5 just makes it easier and removes the need to do compulsory setup for those plug-ins within Cubase (since you can just export the GA5 Mixer to Cubase), etc.

Comparing HALion to Groove Agent is like Comparing Kontakt to Groove Agent. It’s not a good comparison, and it falls apart even further when you go beneath the surface (“but, they both sample?!”) and look at the tooling they provide.

Not sure what surround has to do with that, either. 100% irrelevant to what I was talking about.

Steinberg…care to drop us a TINY bone here other than a “leaked” possible update window? Any BALLPARK to when it will come out at least? Are you guys gonna fix the awful cpu load on the wave sequencing engines? How about the interface…are we getting a modern one? Howzzz about those old Motif waveforms…Surely we can have them. They aren’t even on the market anymore! And FINALLY…how about porting FDSP/AN/VL synthesis as purchasable “engines” or something!

Frustrated
SpiderMix

2 Likes

Hopefully Steinberg will release all Absolute related VSTs in one Absolute update. Backbone, Halion, Groove Agent, Padshop 2 … 100 Euros each …

1 Like

Dude, I didn’t chime in to get chewed out.

My understanding was that you need GA to be on the new licenser system, perhaps because you have it on a dongle rather than the old soft-licenser, and don’t always have that dongle with you.

I just offered a tip for situations where you might have Cubase 12 in front of you, but not all your other keys for stuff like GA5 working! You’d still have access to GA SE, and anything you built in there could later be pulled into GA5 when you get your full system back if you want/need it.

No, it is NOT 10 times as much work. Not even close. Multiple steps to route inputs into, and then record directly into a plugin that’s being hosted in a DAW. Perhaps even fewer to simply record straight to a DAW track, optionally do some analysis/editing/slicing on the arrange window of the DAW (Cubase has power user features to help with all this), and ‘drag elements straight to pads in the plugin’.

My point is that you can sample in the DAW, which integrates quite well with GA. Its sample editing/hit-pointing/slicing/processing, and more is just as, if not well more powerful than anything built into GA (also integrates with macros, remotes, logical editors, and more).

The user interfaces are MUCH larger and user configurable (size/colors/highlights/markers), one can see it from across the console. You can take advantage of quite a lot of DAW features in the sampling/editing process that simply do not exist in very many instrument plugins. You can also do more of it via remote control (foot pedals, scrubber controllers, transport keys on your MIDI keyboard, MPC buttons, your android or ipad tablet/phone, etc).

Sample, instant render effects if you want anything hard rendered into the sample, drag to pad (optional if you’d rather slice it in the DAW first, or in GA itself), tweak. When you get ready to export a kit, you can choose if you want to keep it all in longer continuous audio files, or chop it up into properly trimmed samples.

Finding loop points and setting crossfades is about the only thing I’d rather do in the plugin than with the DAW when it comes to sampling stuff. How often to you need loop points with GA though?

As opposed to: Setup input(s) into plugin (can be a pita, requiring finnicky re-routing/crossfaders/etc, punching sidechain buttons if resampling other plugins, and all kind of mess). Record in very basic featureless plugin transport (which doesn’t function by remote like the DAW), tediously, one thing at a time. Work with tiny user interface of a sample editor that doesn’t come anywhere close to being as nice as the one in the DAW, etc…

I am not ‘comparing’ GA to H6. I’m speaking of ‘sampling in the DAW, and then moving those samples to just about ANY sample player you like’. Be it GA, HAlion, or any other one that supports simple drag and drop of parts/elements from the Cubase arrange window into the plugin’s UI.

In its simplest form…assuming you already have a basic project template ready to record tracks from any/all inputs on your rig to established audio tracks.

Step 1: Arm track(s). No problem to sample many channels at one time. (Add some steps mixing all that down to a single stereo sample if you’re doing several tracks at once)

Step 2: Start DAW Transport recording and trigger whatever you are sampling. Stop recording when done (the transport can continue playing while you work if need be).

If you want, while the transport is recording, go ahead and make several samples…on as many inputs/tracks as you like. No reason to stop/start things every time. After all, it’s bone head easy to use the scissor tool…also bonehead easy to just drag the whole thing into GA and cut it up there if preferred.

Step 3: OPTIONAL…use the extensive Cubase sample editing features to edit/slice/dice/process. Do mixes/submixes if required.

Step 4: Call up GA if not already visible.

Step 5: Locate the target pad if not visible and Drag element(s) from Cubase Arrange Window to GA pad(s).

Step 6: Do what you’d normally do inside GA to the sample(s) from there (as if you’d recorded it there in the first place).

VS

Step 1: Route the proper set of inputs into GA.

Step 2: Pull GA to foreground if not already.

Step 3: Locate the pad you wish to record and click it.

Step 4: Click the Recorder Tab in GA if not already there.

Step 5: Click the record button in GA. Trigger your sound. Click stop.

Step 6: Edit your sample and tweak the sounds.

So really, it’s about the same number of steps/clicks to get a BASIC sample into GA using either technique. With the latter however, you miss out on the ‘option’ of extensive post sampling analysis, editing, and processing capabilities of Cubase, your eyes will likely work harder if there’s much sample editing going on in that cramped GA GUI, and you’ll have a much harder time doing it with remote controls if that matters.

Only reason I mentioned H6 had to do with sampling multiple channels (beyond simple stereo stuff) in a single pass for surround sound. It’s where I learned the trick, but it can also apply to GA, or any other sample playing plugin.

Personally, that comes in handy pretty regularly for sampling drum kits aimed at stereo as well, since when I sample percussion stuff, I tend to use MULTIPLE MICROPHONES/channels, all open at the same time (I.E. Top and bottom heads of a single drum, plus an ambient mic in the distance). I can sample all of those channels in one go, then get it mixed down to whatever I’m trying to build to live as a triggered sound inside some kind of plugin.

As for ‘resampling’ stuff from other plugins/synths…doing it in the DAW is way much easier. Can make a MIDI template in a MIDI editor in minutes flat at all the durations, intervals, and velocities required, hit play (or instant render in the case of a VSTi), go have coffee, come back, and I’m pretty much done with the recording part.

Yes, I know about this as well…it’s good to point it out to others in the thread…I do not disagree…

In my experience, it also has some disadvantages when it comes to exporting kits (using all GA internals) and packing them for use in other projects (other DAWs even). By this I mean the feature that automatically maps and spreads the busses/outputs out across the Cubase Mixer all ready for using whatever VST effect plugins you like (even your 3rd party stuff). Perhaps you don’t need to export the kits in portable formats, but it’s something to consider.

Yes, I get what you are saying if the session is a real time impromptu performance…click a pad, record something, it’s ready to use…move on to the next thing.

I was thinking more along the lines of building a heavily edited/processed kit from the ground up in advance, and using it later.

Plus, in recording straight to a pad, you’re still pretty limited to a single stereo input, and have to ‘change the routing’ fairly often if you’re using different mics/inputs/etc.

So…fiddling around to get the right channels into the plugin for recording and making sure it’s all adjusted/gain staged/etc, vs, making a track quick and dirty, fixing it with the vast array of Cubase features, and dragging it onto a pad. To me, the latter is often easier.

I don’t think you’d be forced to ‘manually chop’ so much. Cubase has a number of rather powerful features of its own in this regard, and you can also drag the whole thing into your plugin and chop it up there as you normally would.

As for a ‘live’ MPC in a live DJ kind of situation…Yes, I do see your point about ‘direct to button’ recording. Personally, I wouldn’t be using Cubase to host the MPC like instruments for that scenario though, I’d have my dongle with me and side host chains of samplers (a unique instance for each set of inputs I’d be using to record stuff with) in Bidule instance(s)…but that’s just me.

Cubase (I’m still on 11.5) is pretty glitchy when it comes to inserting/removing things like a VST/VSTi from the project while the transport is going. There are workarounds if you use a good plugin chainer (I use Bidule) on the side, and host stuff within that (hot swap all sorts of stuff on the fly while the transport is going without the nasty glitches)…blah blah…anyway…I’m going way off topic…plus it’s not something I do all that often.

Still, if you’re away from the main rig and can’t use GA5 for some reason (key is on dongle and you do not have it with you?), it is a temp workaround (of course it’s not as good as having full GA5) using SE until you can get back to a system with GA5. You can still make kits there in the interim, and import them into full GA5 when it’s working again.

Pass if you like, and I was not trying to be insulting if you already know this stuff. I was only trying to be helpful.

Some people really do not know that you can sample in Cubase, and drag the stuff into GA.

Some people don’t know how powerful the sample analysis and editing in Cubase can be. They don’t know about the macros, nor the logical editors that can make quick work of laying in hit-points by tempo/audio characteristics/or both, and slicing up something like a drum groove with a few self-built macros.

Yesterday I asked Greg in Live Stream about HALion 7. It looks like its not going to be soon unfortunately. Probably at the end of the year if all goes well. But I am speculating from his comment that they will make a proper revamp of the HALion and Absolute.

Halion 6 deserves a good update, great instrument. If it doesn’t do something, in most cases you haven’t found it yourself yet.

They could at least announce that the grace period has started. NOBODY will buy H6 now when H7 has been leaked. At least you have a chance to start to learn that very complicated instrument ahead of time.

How is that too complicated to understand?

1 Like

I doubt most people are unaware you can do this, as this is the default fallback in any DAW when you don’t have a sampler available (Groove Agent, Serato, MPC, Maschine, etc.). You just record clips and slice pieces in the arranger and drag them to the Pads or add them to a Multi-Sampler patch and play them with the keyboard.

The people who don’t know you can do that are the absolute beginners, but they will learn this method by searching Google or YouTube because that is the way everyone tells them to do it using stock DAW tools when those DAWs do not provide the better Live Sampling solutions.

If you search YouTube, you will see videos of people doing this with Groove Agent SE 5 in Cubase and Impact XT in Studio One pretty quickly.

The reason why someone would invest in Groove Agent 5 is for the better workflow. Otherwise, there isn’t a huge disparity in functionality and you’re better off saving your money and using SE 5 (barring acquiring GA5 via the Absolute Bundle).

That goes for many DAWs. I don’t want to learn how to use a Logical Editor, or Macros, etc. just so I can live sample off a Turntable. People make good music all the time in DAWs and Grooveboxes that completely lack those features, so I don’t see why they’d be in a hurry to waste time learning unnecessary mechanics just to sample some audio to pads.

Those features are not without merit, but features existing does not necessarily mean they have any usefulness as regards to increasing productivity for any applicable task.

Groove Agent Live Samples through the plug-in, like Maschine or MPC. There is no need to Insert or Remove VST Plug-ins or VSTi plug-ins.

The reason why you’d use Groove Agent 5, is so that you don’t have to use MPC or Maschine as plug-ins. They are amazing for sampling (especially with the integrated hardware), but they are overbearing as they are designed primarily to be used stand-alone. It would be like using FL Studio as a plug-in. Groove Agent gives you just the functionality you’d need from those solutions as an integrated solution.

As I’ve stated, one could drag a clip onto a sampler track and chop/play slices, so using the arranger, Logical Editor, Macros… whatever… for this is just creating more work to accomplish the same goal. Cubase already has the tools for this. Groove Agent serves a different purpose, for a different workflow and use case.

Groove Agent 5 SE is fine as long as you aren’t after that workflow, but in the long run it’s almost not worth bothering to work around its limitations when you can pick it up GA5 for 40-50% off at certain times during the year.

For auto-chopping and analyzing pitch and tempo, I’d probably prefer to use Serato Sample than do it manually in the cubase arranger.

No one is denying what can be done by analyzing and editing audio manually in Cubase - or many [any] other DAW. It’s about intuitiveness, productivity and efficiency… and workflow satisfaction.

Lastly, there is nothing insulting about stating things matter-of-factly, but I’m not going to deny your right to choose how to receive it (but I won’t change my communication style - you can always block me).

where did you see H7 was leaked ?
or you refer to the 3 months steinberg video where you see H7 license on SAM?

@mozizo who knows? Halion 7 was not released, and won’t be for a while. I know this because I read this post from earlier: :wink:

2 Likes

Regarding Halion 7, maybe it is, because, steinberg is transfering all product to the new license system,including Halion 7, before

we see Halion being released, it takes time.

i allso have a presumption that, steinberg will introduce ai in Halion 7, plus a whole variety

of new technologies taken from maybe

backbone, cubase sampletrack, plus lots of

the requested features from the steinberg community, and offcourse a brand new gui look, taking from cubase 12.

I don’t think Steinberg wil be satisfied

just releasing halion 7, with limited features, i personal think, halion 7, will be a game changer, with never before seen features, based on new technology ,plus a tons of ekstra features, they have to, in order to compete with other brands.

We have seen this with Halion 6, atleast with the spectral wavetable.

I can just imagine Halion 7 with deeply integrated fm synthesis , even applied to wavetabel spectral synthesis, which you could modify in any combination, etc…
Sampling could allso be done per automatic, with
help of AI, detecting all keys, key swith on , off, detection pitch, even playing chords, converted to midi, and detection of what instrument you are recording, AI, could learn which instrument is being recorded, guitar, voice, piano, maybe i am going to far, but one thing is for shure, many if not all software companies, is slowly beginning integrating AI into their software, its just matter of time before we see
AI, scaled up, everywhere, even thought, AI is still
in its infancy.
AI can be good, as long as AI doesn’t take over
your music inspiration workflow, and you have to click a mouseclick, voila , a whole song is created, that would be bad, heck i can just imagine, AI, taking control over my coffee machine, ha ha.

I am allmost certain, Halion will come in about 4-6 months, i could be wrong, but offcourse

steinberg will not reveal to much information, i think.

Maybe i am just dreaming.

1 Like

I guess this was it (timestamped @ 41:20)?

Certainly does sound end of year. Hope to see some UI improvements to have it brought up to speed a bit. Everyone knows it’s going to have an FM engine though, right?! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nothing verified I am afraid. All speculation. Lets hope they deliver a worthy successor to HALion 6.

1 Like

Great to have HALion 7 but for those who have upgraded to Cubase 12 and can’t buy or don’t want HALion 7 new features, they will have to keep the elicenser and loose the Cubase 12 no licenser feature ? :frowning:
An intermediate HALion 6 update with new licensing would be appreciated.

1 Like

I have Cubase Pro 12 dongle free and HALion 6 ( Absolute 5 ) on elicencer. Looking forward to Absolute 6 and HALion 7 dongle free.

3 Likes

I agree, that would be great, like what’s done with WaveLab 11.1

Would love this, even if it was just with the stock library for starters.

This could be a “be careful what you wish for” scenario. Updating HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 to Steinberg Licensing could take developers away from the job of finishing and testing HALion 7.

There is also the commercial side of things to consider. Updating HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 will not produce any additional revenue for Steinberg; indeed, it might make it less likely for people to pay for an update once HALion 7 is released. A way around that would be to allow people to pay for HALion 7 now, then release a relicensed version of HALion 6 that only works with these HALion 7 licences. The disadvantage of that is that people might say it is unfair to pay when Steinberg would then be in a position to offer free relicensing.

Having been a software developer, I know that it can be difficult to switch gears from working on a new release to maintaining a previous release. I’d rather that Steinberg kept working on HALion 7, as well as relicensing products that are not due for a paid update in the next 12 months.

People with Cubase 12 may not buy HALion 6 because it implies a dongle. Less incomes.
People may not Buy Cubase 12+ HALion 6 , same reason same consequences…

And personnally, also dev for years, I do not need non existing features.
Even if I would certainly appreciate them when pubished.