Any one excited about VST Cloud?

Yes Andy has never been the same since he grown that beard :astonished:

At this moment, i don’t use any (extern) cloud services like drop box. I has my own FTP Server at home ( more then 500 Gigabyte Memory) to exchange any data. My Synology Home server has ways to connect with every other user on any Computer or Mobile. No other Cloud has more speed and memory power then my little Homeserver-

Otherwise new cubase cloud is perfect feature to exchange within other cubase users on the fly. i want test this feature.

Hi

That’s I’m wordering about as well.
There are many requested features posted within this user forum. But none of them are in a relation to the project collaboration over IP.
To bring a topic as well - none of them has requested to revamp the Retrologue, as far as I can see.

Mmmhhh, seems the marketing guys at Steinberg have their own view and understanding of… :wink:

Cheers

A fraction of the software development effort that went into VST Cloud would have probably given us, say, a Linux version of Cubase, or at least a Windows version that does not require Quicktime, or that can export video segments with replaced audio … or at the very least, mixer AOT.

I have no use for VST Cloud (or any other vapour-infused marketing hooks), and I don’t know anyone who does, certainly not since there’s been DropBox.

It would have made more sense to me if the settings and plugins where cloud based. That way I could work at a different computer and have all my settings and plugins I’m used to. For media exchange I use a synology NAS for ftp, cloud and http server, always having several TB of free space gives you more freedom than any other service offers.
Well I have two of them actually, one just makes a backup of the other, just to be safe.
But hey if they manage to get it working really well, it could attract new business, there are a lot of musicians out there that have been screaming about collaboration tools for years.

Not a feature I’m excited about but likely to be a stepping stone to the future. They’ve probably been working on it for some time.

Having explored this a little, I surprised myself by actually saying "hey this could maybe, possibly be pretty useful’. So this could be edging close to giving this thing ‘the benefit of the doubt’.

e.g working on project ideas or mock ups for clients, I can go from studio to home and then synchronize the project when back at studio after working on it at home. Perfect for midi work.

Certainly something I did not expect to see in 8.5

As a side note It was quite fun…in a weird way to type in some random letters and names etc and see who had visible profiles! quite a few are out there already on this thing.

Henry Ford said, “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

If you’re a programmer then you’re familiar with source code control tools. Consider that tools like VST cloud might eventually work in a similar way. If you’re collaborating with fellow programmers, you could pass source code files back and forth in dropbox but that would be archaic and it’s not done anymore.

Have a little vision.

Good point.

All well and good, but I’m not convinced that this particular vision is destined for greatness. The problem - like the new Media Bay - is that it is proprietary to Steinberg. This will enable collaboration with other Stienberg users, and the Media Bay will allow great integration with other Steinberg products. Steinberg, Steinberg, Steinberg. I guess in both cases some people could build a workflow around it (if it worked reliably with a lot of content it might suit partnerships etc), but most of us a) work with musicians on other DAWs and b) use plugins other than Steinberg.

Everyone is falling over themselves to get to market with this music cloud thing, but unless its an open standard I can’t see it going anywhere for most people. In the meantime, there’s about 1,000 other features and fixes that require Steinberg’s attention. So in answer to the OP - not I.

Steinberg created the VST plugin format and that’s not proprietary (and ASIO). I could imagine there being a subset of DAW functions common to all DAWs. Perhaps like the OMF format. As long as collaborators uses the same third-party plugins, settings could be shared. Yeah, there are lots of practical problems with that, but it’s not like it’s a new idea. People share editable documents using formats like .RTF, .ODT, etc. Innovation is often just about cross-pollination of ideas from other areas. But sometimes you need to build it and then show it to people for them to get it.

I get what you mean. I recently worked for a small company whose management believed that the future for this company meant doing something—anything—related to the cloud. This was a mistake and more or less did the company in. It was the same sort of fever as in the middle-late 90s with the internet.

Did he produce horses?

And Yes I want my horse, healthy beautiful horse, because I’ve paid for the horse, because it was my intention to have a horse but not a snake or a spaceship.

I’m sure that this masterpiece is a result of the web collaboration. :laughing:

VST cloud is all well and good however we will see what the future holds with Steinberg’s record of quietly ditching things.

Just one recent example of a bright idea and then, “nahhh lets drop it”

Im not excited. I will never use this.

Instead I would like to see development resources more spent on improving workflow and functionality with what we already have available in Cubase, there is still huge potential waiting to be unlocked with some creative direction.

I thank everyone on this thread.

Agreed, yes. This is something I, too, can pretty much never use because almost no one I collaborate with is on Cubase/Nuendo. Plus, it’s just not how I work at this time. There are other highly pressing issues which affect everyone that should be addressed, but I’m sure there are people who disagree and really want/need VST Cloud. I’m definitely not one of them! :slight_smile:

NOT excited, will NEVER use it…

There are WAY…like hundreds of other issues (bugs, unfinished stuff, key commands, workflow issues) that need to be addressed IMO before cloud.

I’m sure it could be very useful -but not for me.

peakae did you check out file/profile manager?

Was there not something else before - I remember only the word Rocket… something like that…

I was hoping the VST Cloud was going to allow for cloud processing before the current Cubase came and I fully understood what the VST Cloud was.

It’d be ace to be able to push our systems further in such a way.