Anyone running Cubase 8 on ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1 Motherboard?

As the subject says: is anyone successfully running Cubase 8 on a ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1 motherboard? I have strange issues on my new system with that motherboard. (cpy spikes and crashes) I have tried many things but can;t get it to perform reliably. (windows 7 64 bit, 32 Gig RAM, 6 core Intel cpu). Before I rebuilt my PC I never had problems.

I would like to rule out the possibility of some strange incompatibility with this motherboard. Therefor I’m posting thisin the general forum and not in issues, because I’m hoping to hear from people who use this exact same MoBo without any issues.

Thank you

Did you install any utilities that came from Asus like performance tools or green tweakers? Those are notorious for causing the types of issues you are having. Uninstall them and try again if so.

I don’t think I did but I will certainly check. Maybe something slipped in whilst installing all the drivers. Thanks for the tip.

I was, I sent two of those x99 motherboard based PC’s with DDR 4 and haswell chip back to the manufacturer because I had tremendous issues with USB connectivity , blue screens, and performance . i now have the system in my specs and it works with cubase 8.10 , but 8.30 brings back some issues so I am stuck on 8.10.

I would try rolling back to 8.10

1st piece of advice with x99 and Cubase…
version 8 - 8.5 don’t play well with x99 when on Win 7 OS.
(practically nothing plays well with x99 on Windows 7)
You need to be on Win 10 pro 64 bit to get the real benefit from x99/lga2011-v3

Did you clean install Windows 7 64 pro when you rebuilt your PC?
What add-on cards (PCI) are you using in the PC and are using m.2?
Crashes are probably more likely related to overclock/CPU throttle or improper memory config.

If you don’t understand what I just mentioned then the best thing for you to do is to take it down to a local computer shop that specializes in overclocking and gaming so they can properly tweak the BIOS (& UEFI) for you.

Here’s my personal inquiry…
What was your reasoning for choosing an X99-PRO over an X99-A for use as a DAW system?

I’m using the exact board you are, here are my system specs
Intel Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5 GHz Processor
ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1 Motherboard,32 gb crucial DDR4 ram
Thunderbolt EX 2
Windows 10 Pro

2011 MacBook Pro i7 Quad core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.10.5

PT HD 11.3.2
Cubase 8 pro 8.5

Lynx Aurora 16 with Thunderbolt

You’ll notice I’m running thunderbolt,and it rocks, I had problems with the USB
I had a RME madiface usb, and it did not like the Asus set up.
Now as you know there are so many things that can be causing you issues,but make sure you are using the latest bios from Asus for that board,I believe it’s “0901”, that is a must,especially if you want to use thunderbolt.
I followed AVIDS advice on setting up Windows for audio,and I only use my workstation for audio.
I really had to do some tweaking to get it to run smoothly,but it is now very stable.
I even thought of switching to a gigabyte MOBO, but I stuck with the Asus,and it’s worked out.
Hope you get it going,but it will work.
Cheers
Tommy

I’m on X99 but not Pro, have been having terrible problems with VST spikes/peaks and audio dropout, on Win7, Win8.1 and Win10. It’s my 2nd PC so not too much of a big deal but frustrating still the same. Anyway, yesterday I ran the Asus update software which flashed various drivers and the MB firmware. Massive improvement.

Perhaps not helpful to the OP, but Fabio has started a list of known good configurations over here:
List of performing desktop DAW configurations
I wouldn’t start any discussions over there on that thread, but perhaps someone will start a list of problematic systems as well.

Hi

Just to add to the quoted reply:

Did you install ASUS AI Suite? I seem to remember that elements of this would cause serious spikes that would be reflected in DPC Latency Checker (I see you are windows 7 so DPC works for this although not for Windows 10).

Good Luck

Go to control panel, click on Performance Information and tools > Advanced tools > View performance details in Event log.

Check there for any warnings or errors, Many Asus boards need to have the The Windows Desktop Manager installed correctly to avoid heavy resource contention or responsiveness will degrade and the graphics subsystem can become over utilised, also make sure you have the correct chipset drivers for the SATA AHCI controller along with the correct USB drivers, preferably from Intels web site.

Hi, I am using an X99-S mobo with DDR4 RAM and an appropriate CPU. I am on Windows 7/64 Bit.

I am NOT using USB 3.1 devices, my soundcard is an RME Raydat PCIe Card.

Neither Cubase 8.0.30 nor 8.5 so far Show any Spikes or crashes so far.

I have definitely NOT installed the asus toys.

ATB

Ernst

The go faster USB app on the Asus installer disk doesn’t like daws, neither does the rapid speed technology on hard drives.

In short, don’t install anything from the Asus installer disk. Get only drivers from website.

Hello,

I’ll try to give you some ways to fix your problem. I hope it will help…

1- On MOBO make sure that you are not overclocking right now. Turn off the xmp or just profile 1 not 2…

2- Go to PCIE slot management it must be in PCH, it’s the page you’ll see all pcie slots and you can read their working speeds (x1,x4,x8,x16) etc and gen informations…

3- If your Sound Card’s speed and the slot information don’t match just change the pcie slot you must do it for UAD’s too… My recommendation: Put graphics card to 1st slot, put audio interface to 3rd slot and don’t put UAD’s yet. when you make sure that pc is stabile then you ll add UAD’s…

4- Now go back to BIOS again if you see any ASMEDIA sata_express controller etc, disable them…

5- Go to boot section disable fast booting…

6- Don’t change CPU settings etc. Your problem is nothing to do with hyper threading etc.

7- Boot your pc now. If it stucks in the half way, while the windows logo shows up and it just gets frozen, unplug all of your usb 3.0 ports, plug your keyboard to usb 2.0 then boot again it will work…

8- When you are on windows go to device manager make sure that HD Audio is disabled, if not go to its properties and disable it, don’t uninstall it just disable…

9- Then without putting in UADS check the problem is gone or not?

10- If not solved go BIOS and make sure your soundcard pcie speed and gen is matching. It must be less than x8 I guess… First just change the slots. ıf it doesn’t help manually change the speed to x4 and gen to 2.0. If it crashes just carry the GPU to 3rd x16 slot and put the Soundcard to that little x1-x4 slot.

11- If problem solved now install the UAD’s with their 8.3 update. Not 8.4…

12- after putting the UADs to Mobo then check their speeds. They must be x1… and max gen2.0

13- if it crashes just unplug your usb devices and try again it will boot. If it doesn’t boot then change the UAD slots.

14- By the way I recommend going one by one don’t install all the UADs together

15- after installing and going under windows make sure they are all well from device manager. If there is a not working properly device appeared just search for it if it s not an important device like external thermal sensor etc or bluetooth just disable it…

— Maybe you don’t need to do all of this you must first check the PCIE slots speed and GEN, I think it’s causing the unstable spikes etc…

If al these just don’t work and makes it even worse clear bios

All off you facing these kind of problems you can all try these steps too…

Good Luck…

One last thing : IF YOU CRASH BOOTING Just try to unplug the USB devices…

holy crap what a nightmare! i have an X99 Deluxe MB on order…i wanted to run only Win7 x64 and Cubase 8.5 i hope i am not going to have a headache!!!

As you can see from my Specs, I’m running an ASUS X99 Deluxe with a 5820.

Wonderful performance.
No issues with spiking.

Take heart.

Hugh

PS My general rule when building a system (built many for Audio) is to start with a clean install of the OS - THEN see what needs proprietary drivers.

Many times Manufacturer’s drivers - particularly with MBs and Video - are made to optimize/Add features to the hardware that, for Audio use, I’m not interested in. And many times these Drivers/Add-ons compromise other system functions.

So I avoid them if possible.

Edit to Add: Windows 10 (Home!) is working very well for me.
The auto update thing is not my favorite - but really seems to be less of a problem than I had thought it would be.
Performance is excellent.

It sounds like a good mix between Cubase and Mobo the CPU is allright the 32 GIG of ram is perfect. Give it some times to fine tune everything we all need a period of adjustment with a new system . Dont conclude that the mobo and Cubase dont fit together Good luck

Everybody who has this X99 running well, do you have many USB devices in your system? It looks like those with PCIe cards or Thunderbolt/Firewire are not suffering audio issues.

If you have issues then they might be so rare that they don’t really bother you. Mine are intermittent and very difficult to replicate. If it wasn’t affecting my audio I’d just shrug it off and probably put it down to Windows. I’ve removed my NVidia card and installed Radeon, both with only basic drivers and still get the glitches. Upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. Followed all the advice I can find on BIOS settings, including in this thread. Regardless, BIOS settings shouldn’t affect 4 different USB mice, wired and wireless.

I think the ASUS X99A-ii is a pretty solid board in all, except for the USB. It glitches in my system. Even the USB mouse (4 different mice) will glitch, lose where it was going, freeze up etc. My Novation has all kinds of issues, including not being recognised. My ID14 glitches audio to 100% in Cubase. SanDisk USB drive glitches and can cause the mouse to freeze for minutes.

I have even had these issues installing Linux and Bitwig to a clean drive. Removing every drive from SATA and booting from USB live disk I have mouse glitches/lag. Inside Bitwig when the Novation fails it plays 1 note out of 5, which I managed to video. Its the only fail that I have managed to capture, because the dropouts are so brief. Sounds like nothing to complain about but when you get a spike recording audio across USB it isn’t nothing. I can be at 10-20% CPU and get a spike and then nothing for a few hours.

I am assuming that most people who bought the X99 will also have pretty high end equipment, so therefore not much USB to trouble them so they haven’t really been affected.

I am running around 5 external USB3 drives, including projects and sample drives, with no issues.

These are off the on board USB ports.

Hugh

I am running around 5 external USB3 drives, including projects and sample drives, with no issues.

These are off the on board USB ports.

Hugh
[/quote]

Thanks for this feedback.