Appearance of 6/9 chord linear arrangement

Appearance of 6/9 chord
Though I rather would prefer to use 6 above 9 without any line between the numbers I find it in the end too much work to edit the chords for each scale degree.
Therefore in the meantime, until one day maybe this way to write it will be officially implemented in Dorico, I choose the “Linear arrangement” for the 6/9 chord.
But I can’t find out how to make the numbers bigger and to adjust the vertical position of the numbers.
For example I would much prefer to simply write C6/9 without any size or vertical position changes.

There are settings for the Scale factor for subscript and superscript components as well as a setting for “Offset for superscript components” but I find nothing for linear arrangement components.

1. Is there a way to change the size of the numbers for the 6/9 linear arrangement?
  2. Is it possible to adjust the vertical position of the numbers for the 6/9 linear arrangement?

Read this: A few more Chord Symbol requests - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Not sure what you mean pointing to a thread I am aware of because I also participated to it but of course I may miss something.

I indeed know how to edit a chord symbol to my liking but as I mentioned I find it to much work to do this for all possible instances of a 6/9 chord.
This is the reason why I decided to use one of the factory appearance named “Linear arrangement”.
My questions is if there is maybe somewhere a setting that I still did not discover allowing the user to change the size of the number and the vertical position for this appearance.

I ask this because as you surely know it is possible to change the size of subscript and superscript components in a chord appearance without having to fully edit the appearance per se.
I hope that my request is clearer now.

Does Daniel’s answer, here: A few more Chord Symbol requests - Dorico - Steinberg Forums not specifically answer your exact question?

No.
If I am blind please do not hesitate to explain me, you helped me a few times in the past to “see” something I could not see!
But I think I am asking something different.

I can’t be in front of Dorico - I’m on holiday without a computer - but I’m pretty sure that if you follow through those instructions you can get JUST the 6/9 suffix in the graphical editor, edit it to suit tastes, and you should find that it automatically applies to ALL 6/9 chords. This is from memory (albeit only a few weeks), so I may be wrong, and if so I profusely apologise.

No, you’re quite right, Leo. teacue will have to be more specific about how my previous answer doesn’t address his query if he needs more help.

@daniel
I am really wondering what is not specific or exact enough in my question!

1. My primary question is:
    Using the “Linear arrangement” of Dorico factory chord appearance for 6/9 chord, is there somewhere a setting to change the scaling of the numbers and another setting to change the vertical position of the numbers (6/9 all together)?

I believe I understand how to “edit” a chord symbol.
I do not want to edit a chord symbol but I want to use one of the factory setting.
And I am asking if it is possible to tweak this factory setting in the same way as for example it is possible to tweak the scaling of subscript or superscript, as well as the vertical position of a superscript component.
BTW I would really like first to have an answer to this question, not another solution.

1. I do not want to edit the chord symbol because if I do this for C6/9 I must also do this for C#6/9, Db 6/9, D6/9, D#6/9 … and so on.
    Why?
    Because this is what I get on my system when I try to follow Daniel’s instructions.
    six-nine-problem.jpg
    The scaling of the edited components is right but for some reason the vertical position is not.
    I could not solve this and got tired to try and try and try again.
    If there is a solution to this, well I would be glad

Edit:
What I would like is how C6/9 is looking like but the vertical edit does not seem to work for other chords

Just reading the thread that I previously linked to, it seems obvious to me that

1. No, there isn’t a setting for this. See the original post in the previously linked thread.
  2. If you follow the instructions to edit the suffix, and just the suffix, it applies to all 6/9 chords. If it’s not working for your C6/9, then presumably that’s because you’ve already manually interfered with the C6/9 chord.

Again, this is just my reading and I can’t double-check it for about another 24 hours.

OK.
It seems that indeed I probably already made too much edits.
These edits may clash with Daniel’s instructions and lead to unexpected results.
But as I am unable to fully revert these edits I will try to completely reset Dorico and test again at a later point.
To do this reset I need some more informations.
As such a reset is is independant from chords appearance I create a new thread:

Chord Symbols are project-based, I believe. I’m pretty sure all you need to reset is Engraving Options. In the bottom left corner of Engraving Options, there’s a Reset to Save Defaults button. If you hold down the Ctrl or Cmd key on your keyboard, you should see that button change to a Reset to Factory button.

There’s no need to wipe and reinstall Dorico!

You can also reset individual chord symbols that you have overridden individually in the Project Default Chord Symbol Appearances dialog. You might need to do a little more fiddling to reset chord symbols whose default appearance you have overridden, but that is possible through this dialog as well.

@Liilie Harris
Thank you for your informations.
I already tried quite a lot in teh dialog you mention but I am simply not able to get rid of what I previously did.
This is why I want to reset everything.

@pianoleo
The edit a user makes to chord appearance are in the file “userlibrary.xml”.
I am not sure that what you suggest will reset this file

I have succesfully re-installed Dorico and I got rid of all chord-appearance-user settings I made before.
I followed Daniel’s instructions to edit a chord suffix in the “Edit Chord Symbol Component” as described in the 4th post of this thread.

And now indeed the edits to one suffix apply to all other chords and there is no need to edit each scale step.
This is great and this issue seems to be resolved for me.

I still have a question:

1. The edits made in the “Edit Chord Symbol Component” to the “y offset” and the “y scale” are working as expected but edits made to the “x offset” are visible only in the “Edit Chord Symbol Component” window, as soon as you switch to the “Project Default Chord Symbol Appearance” these horizontal edits are not kept.
  2. Also edits made to the the “x scale” in the “Edit Chord Symbol Component” window, do not change anything.

Why is it so?

You can only scale components that use font characters uniformly in both X and Y dimensions. Dorico cannot squash or stretch font characters horizontally when drawing them as part of musical symbols.

OK, I can follow an understand and this answers the second part of my question as you are clearly writing about scaling.

But what about the first part of my question and the x offset value for the horizontal position of the suffix?
How can I shift the suffix further from the root note?
As I previously mentioned, I can edit the x offset value (for the horizontal position of the suffix) in the “Edit Chord Symbol Component” editor and the changes are visible in this editor but as soon as I click OK to go back to the “Project Default Chord Symbol Appearance” editor the edited x-offset value is not kept and there is no change to the horizontal position of the suffix.

I am aware that I can edit the horizontal position in the “Project Default Chord Symbol Appearance” but then this must be done for each step of the scale.

Is my question clear or should I make pics of what I mean?

You can’t specify an offset in the component itself that will shift it further away from the component to its left, whatever that might be. All of the components are positioned relative to each other according to the values of a kind of kerning table, which is not editable by the user. So if you need to adjust the position of the 6/9 component relative to particular roots, you will indeed need to create those chord symbols in the Project Default Chord Symbol Appearance dialog. Yes, it has to be done for every step of the scale, but it only has to be done once.

OK.
Thanks for your answer.
It makes sense indeed.
I was irritated because one can edit these values and see the result in the component editor.