Aria Player in Dorico 2

Are the instructions for adding Aria Player to Dorico 2 the same as adding it to Dorico 1?

I was able to get Aria Player to show up in Dorico 1, but when I upgraded to Dorico 2, Aria Player doesn’t show as an option.
Should it? Are the instructions for adding Aria Player to Dorico 2 the same as for Dorico 1? (I’d like to get it right the first try.)
Thanks!

You should have found that your existing vst2whitelist.txt file was automatically migrated from /Users/your-username/Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine to /Users/your-username/Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine2, but perhaps you were using a vst2whitelist.txt file in another location?

Creating a file called vst2whitelist.txt in /Users/your-username/Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine2 and inserting the single line:

ARIA Player VST Multi

should do the job! (Assuming you’re on Mac!)

Otherwise, see this article or this video.

Aria Player works on Dorico Pro 2 on macOS High Sierra, 10.13.5. The vst2whitelist.txt file migrated as Daniel stated.

To help all the Windows users -
no, the Aria Player didn’t migrate over to Dorico 2

Thanks Daniel for setting me on a path to figuring out how to make it work, needed a bit more,
here is what I had to add to the whitelist to make it work…

ARIA Player VST_x64
ARIA Player Multi VST_x64

I am having great difficulty in getting Aria Player to work in Dorico 2 on Windows 10. It was working perfectly in Dorico 1 and I used it as my playback configuration of choice. When I installed Dorico 2 (which seemed to go without a hitch) not only did the whitelist not migrate but it also disappeared from Dorico 1, which meant that ARIA Player no longer appeared as a playback option.

To try to get it to appear in Dorico 2 I followed the instructions given in “ Let us know which VST2.x plug-ins are working in Dorico” and created a text document called vst2whitelist.txt in NotePad and copied it to: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine2_64

The instructions also said to delete three files:
Vst2xPlugin Blacklist
VSTAudioEngine2
Vst2xPlugin Infos VSTAudioEngine2
Vst2xPlugin SearchPaths VSTAudioEngine2
which I did. However, they declined to be deleted and reappeared when I restarted my computer and checked to see if the whitelist was still there!

I would be very grateful for any guidance as to where I have gone wrong – it must be an error on my part since others have it (and other VST2 applications) successfully up and runnimg!

I have attached the VSTAudioEngine folders for both Dorico and Dorico 2
VSTAudioEngine2_64.zip (617 KB)
VSTAudioEngine_64.zip (627 KB)

I am sorry you are having trouble with Aria in Dorico 2. I have found it no more difficult in Dorico 2 than it was before.
Daniel also recommended keeping a copy of the whitelist (once it works as expected) in a separate folder in case later upgrades overwrite the original.

whitelist.png

Hi Peter,

it*s an easy fix. You have named the file vst2whitelst.txt, but it must be vst2whitelist.txt, so just one “i” is missing.
Change that, restart Dorico and ARIA will be back.

Hi Ulf,
Thank you for your reply.

After I posted I did check and found that I had named the file wrongly! However, I have now corrected it and replaced the incorrect one in both VSTAudio Engine and VSTAudioEnginge2 but unfortunately it has not solved the problem and the Aria player is still not showing up. I am wondering what my next step might be - I’d be most grateful for any further advice! I am also concerne that that three files the instructions said to delete are still there and even when “deleted” reappear wheneve the computer is restarted or Dorico/Dorico2 are opened.

I am attaching zip files of the AudioEngine files that I amended. Perhaps you would be able to take a look and see if I have made any further errors.

Thank you for taking the time to help me - I appreciate it!
VSTAudioEngine2_64.zip (618 KB)
VSTAudioEngine_64.zip (628 KB)

Hello Peter,

I believe you have your vst2whitelist.txt file in the wrong location. For Windows 10 64 bit I believe it should be in:

]Please see Edit below[/u]: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico\VSTAudioEngine\Components\vst2whitelist.txt

and not where you seem to have it in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine2_64

I use Garritan libraries extensively and my ARIA Player is showing in the Play Tab and working perfectly with that vst2whitelist.txt file located as mentioned above.

I hope this helps.

Michael

EDIT. The path I mentioned above for the user VST2 Plugin Whitelist is no longer correct. The correct path for the user "Whitelist in Windows Dorico2 is now: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine2_64

I do not think so, although duplicating the file in both locations couldn’t hurt.
I find I can access a player (AD2) listed in the appdata (roaming) folder that is not listed in the components version of the list.

Thank you for your help, guys, but still no Aria Player! I haven’t given up yet - and I would love to be able to use (particularly) the JABB sounds for some Big Band stuff I am just about to start. It is disappointing in that after Ulf discovered my mistake and I corrected it I still can’t access Aria Player (it is certainly installed - i can use it with Sibelius with no problem.) It’s also a mystery why it disappeared from Dorico 1 - it seems unlikely to have been removed in the Dorico 2 installation but I can’t think of anything else that might have happened - I certainly haven’t touched the inner workings of Dorico 1! Any further guidance or help would obviously be appreciated but I think I’ll put this frustration aside for the weekend and come back to it next week. Again, thanks for all your kind efforts to assist. Here’s hoping for an eventual happy outcome!

Hello Derrek,

I typed a reply but it didn’t show.

Anyway, the gist of it was that I tried an experiment and removed the “vst2whitelist.txt file” from C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico\VSTAudioEngine\Components and pasted it into “C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine2_64”

The result was that I had no playback and the ARIA Player was no longer showing in the ‘Play’ tab. Reverting back to my previous path resulted in playback with the ARIA Player now listed.

Here’s hoping Peter regains his ARIA Player soon.

Hello Peter,

Sorry to read that ARIA is still not there.

My only suggestion now is to uninstall Dorico completely, clean out your system, do a fresh reinstall then re-add the “vst2whitelist.txt file” (try both locations).

This may sound drastic but I’ve done this a few times and it really is not so bad. No need to touch your USB key at all and your your licence will be picked up straight away. It really won’t take very long and I’m sure you’ll be up and away.

Hope you find a solution soon.

Hi Peter, you did rename the file, but unfortunately wrongly.
Now the name of the file is vst2whitelist.txt.txt so with a double txt ending. Please change and it shall work.

BTW, that files reappear in that folder, even if you deleted them previously, is normal. The audio engine does recreate them.

The whitelist file is only half the story… you also have to make sure that the Aria VST is located in a folder/path that Dorico actually looks in …

From the log files I can see that the audio engine finds ARIA but refuses it, because it is not in the whitelist, resp. the whitelist is not named correctly.
So Peter’s ARIA is already in the search path of the engine.

Interesting, especially the helpful video in the link above. My vst2whitelist hadn’t made it to the v. 2 update, either. In v. 1, I had changed the whitelist file within the Dorico application itself by selecting Show Package Contents and navigating to Dorico/Contents/Applications/VSTAudioEngine2/Contents/Components and changing the whitelist file there. These were the instructions given at the time; there was no mention made of the Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine folder. For Dorico v. 2 I repeated what I had done then by copying the following two lines
ARIA Player VST Multi
565354474152616172696120706C6179
into the whitelist file buried deep in the Dorico application. This seemed to work. I have several questions, though.

1. Why are there several of these whitelist files in different locations?
  2. Why do I also have a VSTAudioEngine2 folder (in Library/Preferences) in addition to the VSTAudioEngine folder, with some but not all of the same files in both?
  3. Should I have changed the [locked] file within the Dorico application? Would it be wise to change it back?
  4. What is the significance of that long number above? It wasn’t mentioned in the video.
  5. What is the difference between the ARIA Player VST and the ARIA Player VST Multi?
  6. Should I have exact copies of the whitelist in the different locations?

In the earliest days of Dorico I think there was only the one whitelist file that was the one installed in the application bundle. In a later update to 1.x we added the user setting in ~/Library/Preferences. I assume you may have made the change before this was done. It’s only the user setting whitelist file that gets migrated from Dorico 1 to Dorico 2. These are the current instructions for this: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206899770-How-to-use-VST2-plug-ins-in-Dorico

1. Dorico ships with a preset whitelist (this is the one in the application bundle). This should no longer be edited by the user. Updates to Dorico may overwrite this file. The user whitelist isn’t overwritten by Dorico updates and allows the user to add their own entries.
  2. VSTAudioEngine2 is for the version 2 audio engine, which has settings that are independent from that of version 1
  3. No. Changes to that file should be harmless, but be aware that an update to Dorico would replace the contents
  4. The long number isn’t needed any more. It used to be for Dorico 1.0 but we removed the need for it in a later version
  5. I don’t know for certain, as I haven’t used Aria, but I suspect that the first has a single stereo output and the second has separate stereo outputs for each channel. If that is the case then you should use the second one so that each channel has it’s own channel in the Dorico mixer.

I’m very pleased to say that I have solved my problem! I am not quite sure how - but I also have NotePerformer3 which always shows up, so i put the ARIA Player in there and it appears and is usable. I don’t know if this is the correct way to do it but it seems to work. The only problem I have now is Dorico often crashing when I apply a template. The orchestra and string templates work and the problem seems to be mostly with woodwind, btass and jazz templates. The warning I get tells me how to create a crash log but I am not sure where to send it. The warning does mention AudioEngine2 so I am wondering if my “solution” has, in fact, created another problem! once again I’d be grateful for any help. I would really like to get up and running with Dorico but I am finding it very difficult to understand at the moment!

Please send crash logs to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.