Assign shortcut to go directly to Jump Bar Goto Mode?

Because I am continually jumping around my score, I would love to be able to type “jra” to skip to rehearsal letter A or “jb20” to leap to bar 20. Now I can do that if the jump bar recently was in GoTo mode, but sometimes it is in Command Mode. Can I assign a shortcut to “Jump Bar: GoTo Mode” or do I have to always open the jump bar dialog first?

1 Like

what about : Preferences /Key commands /Jump bar /Jump bar Alias.
I hope, i’m right.
I’m afraid, this isn’t what you want. I just tried it myself.

I asked @dspreadbury a similar question late last year. He declared it not doable.

There is Go To Rehearsal Mark… so you can make a keyboard shortcut or a Jump Bar alias for that.

Thanks for the reference! I hope at some point they can split up the GoTo and Command modules, then this would be trivial.
Score navigation tools are such a boon when you are doing score correction! (Esp. on a small screen, where you spend about 80% of your time scrolling)

1 Like

One of the problems navigating with the Jump Bar is that switching to Go To is a key-combination, which makes typing more complex just to change modes.

I have to say I seldom use the Jump Bar, since it will not default to Go To, and I know most of the key-shortcuts for the commands I use; so the Jump Bar makes the one reason I would most likely use it a hassle.

(Just my own opinion/approach.)

1 Like

Yes, there is. But I love the GoTo functionality that with “jrb” or “jb30” (no dialog, no modifier keys) you can zap to where you want to go.
I hate modifier keys because they often make it impossible to invoke a command with one hand. (On a Mac, just try pressing-- for example-- control-p with one hand or without looking at the keyboard!)

Yeah, “jump bar” is kind of misleading. The term connotes physical relocation, so I reckon the first thing most people will think is random access to any place in the score, not menu shortcuts.

But of course, it defaults to menu shortcuts, not score relocation. Not intuitive.

It would be enough for me to be able to set the “Go to” tab as the permanent default.

Now that is a good suggestion, adding the default behaviour to the Preferences. That would be very simple to implement in the code.

Ideally, there wouldn’t need to be two tabs in the thing. i.e., there should be no overlap between relocation shortcuts and menu shortcuts.

Don’t know if that’s feasible, though. I’d make it work, if it were up to me. Could be as simple as punctuation. (e.g., relocation shortcuts prefixed “-” or something. -f4rm gets you to rehearsal mark M of the fourth flow.) :man_shrugging:

Good idea, although I like the shortcut j for jump.
If I understand the problem correctly, the GoTo and Command modules are combined in a single code module at the moment, so if would involve making them autonomous (it would still be possible to invoke them as a pair if necessary-- although I am not sure why they should).
As you point out, there seems to be little overlap, so I am not sure why they combined them in the first place… but of course these problems are trivial.
I never cease to admire the thought that went into the ergonomics of the Dorico workflow, and they have succeeded admirably on so many things! You are never going to produce a software that exactly fits every composer, and trying to implement functions that make both Pergolesi and Stockhausen happy is a thankless task.
I think it is good that they try to make standard instrumental scores with common types of notation as intuitive as possible to score.

Yeah, the J shortcut is fine. I’m just saying that I don’t think that it should be a tabbed interface. Just a single field, into which the user would type his shortcut. Relocation shortcuts would start with a hyphen or a dot (period/full stop) or whatever.

Another alternative, of course, is a separate hot key for a separate relocation shortcut interface. i.e, divide the current window with two fields (both in separate tabs) into two different windows with one field each. Something like J to invoke one interface, and [Shift]+J to invoke the other.

There are several ways to approach the problem that are superior to the current implementation, in my opinion.

Dorico came up with a brilliant shortcut for dotted notes-- double tapping the number key. They should extend that kind of functionality to shortcuts so we would not need so many modifying keys. So instead of shift/j just double tap j for example.

1 Like

We can indeed already assign J, J as a shortcut!

Notice when you press a keystroke, for a couple of seconds it displays with a comma and ellipsis – It’s waiting for another keystroke, should you want to add one.

That works for note entry only because hitting the same key a second time has no intuitable meaning in the relevant context.

Not so with a popup that superimposes a new interface. Apart from reserving “j” as a prefix for relocation shortcuts (which is counterintuitive), I don’t see how your suggestion could work in a situation involving jump shortcuts that begin with “j,” for example.

We’re getting into the weeds on this, anyway. This is the kind of problem that I prefer to script my way out of, honestly. Lua, Python, some proprietary language, whatever.