Atmos Track Names and Numbers

I just posted below on the Cubase forum. Does and of it hold true for Dolby Atmos Film…s

I am just getting started with Atmos Music.

Below is a proposed naming and numbering for 9.1.4. I can just take out Lw and Rw for 7,1.4.

Is there a standard I should adhere to - now is the time for me to change to it. Thanks Steve

1 - L (Left),
2 - R (Right),
3 - C (Center),
4 - SUB (Low Frequency Effects)
5 - Lw (Left Wide)
6 - Rw (Right Wide)
7 - Lss (Left Mid-Surround)
8 - Rss (Right Mid-Surround)
9 - Lsr (Left Back Surround)
10 - Rsr (Right Back Surround)
11 - Ltf (Front Ceiling Left)
12 - Rtf (Front Ceiling Right)
13 - Ltr (Rear Ceiling Left)
14 - Rtr (Rear Ceiling Right)

Yes, but don’t forget that the Dolby Atmos order is not the same as Steinberg for the Lss, Rss, Lrs and Rrs channels. :

Steinberg is as on your list, with the surround laterals and rears reversed.

Dolby Atmos is :

9 - Lsr (Left Back Surround)
10 - Rsr (Right Back Surround)
7 - Lss (Left Mid-Surround)
8 - Rss (Right Mid-Surround)

The Nuendo manual states that the physical connections must be reversed for physical listening.

1 Like

Thank you cmbourget.

The question should be for deliverables. That tracks when played back in a theater or home have the right sound come out of the right speakers.
I personally am confused by all the various documentation(s) and believe we must all standardize now. It is why I started this thread…s

I should add there is only one correct numbering; the way that commercial theaters or home theaters are setup. If Steinberg differs from Dolby then Steinberg needs to correct this.

The configuration is built into the ADM file, nothing to worry about even if Nuendo and Dolby are different.

1 Like

Yes, it’s for monitoring only, if I’ve understood correctly.

We shouldn’t think in terms of monitors, but in terms of spatial placement. The Dolby Atmos system translates positioning according to the different setups of consumers and others. Home, cinema and theater systems vary in the number of monitors and the precision of placement. Dolby Atmos provides a solution by focusing on spatial positioning and then adapting it to the listening environment. This is its strength.

1 Like

The only real way to check your work is to play it back in a calibrated theater or home system. Also compare it to material you trust…