Audio and MIDI not lining up in 12.0.40

Recording in from my MPC in stand alone my aduio and midi are not lining up? Midi notes are off and my aduio os not snap to grid…

How are you syncing them? How is MIDI and audio going from the MPC into Cubase exactly? My MPC Live is my main sequencer, but Cubase is my ‘tape deck’ that multitracks the MPC and all my MIDI gear when its done there. Never had an issue with things not lining up so far. But, I also don’t record MIDI from the MPC back into Cubase though so no comment on that one. Syncing over ethernet has been pretty solid here with Cubase 12 as the master clock, and from there I just record the 24 channels from my console into my interface.

1 Like

Yes using it the say way tho MTC time code midi through my motu 828es… i might try again using ethernet i have not since upgrading to 12… i do record midi into my mpc X and record out to cubase …you record 24 tracks of audio? Or 8 channels of audio 16 midi?

If you’re using Windows, this might have to do with this issue:
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/midi-note-display-in-project-view-is-inaccurate-in-12-0-40/800164

This should be fixed soon. In the meanwhile, check the last post of the topic above for a workaround.

1 Like

I did see that also i thought it was only midi related… i might just rill back if i can…

It’s only MIDI related, and only in the project window. But if you double click a MIDI part and the MIDI notes in the editor or your hardware are clearly on grid but your audio is not, then that’s a timing issue with your hardware that you’ll have to troubleshoot.

Up to 24 audio. I rarely record MIDI into Cubase/Logic/etc anymore. If Im writing in one of the DAW’s that’s the main sequencer that does all the MIDI work and I just write parts there. My MPC has a Behringer UMC1820 as its audio interface, 8-10 tracks from there (can do 20 altogether if needed), my EMU E6400 is usually another 4-8 tracks, plus the synths I have. Everything gets triggered via MIDI from the MPC, and I just record my mixers tape outputs into Cubase when Im done with the project. When its time to record it, I have a USB-Ethernet adapter from the MPC directly into my Mac mini. The Akai Network MIDI app sets everything up and in Cubase you use that MIDI port to send MIDI Clock (or Time Code if you wish) to the MPC and just tell the MPC to sync to MIDI Clock. If you want to go the other way around, you can send MIDI from the MPC back to Cubase using the “Remote” MIDI port that shows up in MIDI tracks on the MPC.

I use Cubase as the master clock because the MPC’s transport commands don’t work great so I put the MPC in song mode (or the big ‘song’ sequence), hit record in Cubase and it goes from there. My MIDI is all still handled by an old AMT8 that’s connected to the MPC over USB. My 828’s MIDI I/O is connected to the MPC as a ‘back up’ when the Network MIDI app broke after Big Sur, but I never needed to use it really.

1 Like

I have seen the MIDI misalignment, but I have since had problems with audio display alignment when warping the grid, which I do regularly. It’s a showstopper for me so back to 12.0.30 for the time being.
Other than that, very little else problematic here, I am finding C 12 very stable and CPU performance OK too.

1 Like

Try using an external instrument instance for the MPC. Set up as many returns needed for the single instance, perhaps 4 stereo pairs? for all the bus outputs on your desk. Then send the MIDI clock (not MTC) to the external instrument shown as an entry with brackets (name) in the synchronization setup.

If you do this, MIDI clock will be sent ahead of time compensating all the delays caused by the connection, i.e. A/D and asio i/o buffer automatically, you can also apply a little bit of predelay amount for MIDI reaction time in addition.

This meta inst will appear as a single multiple output instrument on the vst mixer panel, if you enable returns, those will appear on the VST mixer, so route them to groups as rec1, rec2 and so on, then set these as input to audio tracks and record it. (You can disable the monitor while recording to match monitoring and playback volume as well as timing. If you monitor through this audio track, the audio will be delayed by 1xASIO buffer, so better not monitor it, although the timing will be properly moved earlier by this amount on playback.) You can also export, freeze or render in place from these outputs, with perfect timing, too.

Once you set it up, you can insert any plugin on any of the returns, or on group/fx/bus that is routed. It will still be in time even if you insert a buffered plugin on just one of them or tons of them with heavy complex routing, all while the external sequencer driving real synths. This system is very well made so please try that.

1 Like

Thank you for your help going to try network midi again not as a fix but just liked using it … i didnt like the wait however for the ip to populate lol

This is anothet great idea and will try… i believe the problem started for me with the latest update… i have been recording alot lately and edit and mix at a later date … so im not sure if this started recently

Im working right now but when i get home im going to try again if not reverting back to 12.0.30… definitely a show stopper… were did u find 12.0.30 updat?

@Mark I think I rolled back simply by using the 12.0.30 version which can be downloaded from here (bottom of page)

I didn’t uninstall 12.0.40, just ran this installer over the top. Best create a system restore point first or back up somehow just in case.

1 Like

Yes i will definitely create a restore point crazy :crazy_face: i was having a good go with the software up to now… oh well still my DAW of choice…

@ Mark, mine too by a mile. 12.0.40 works brilliantly for the most part it’s just frustrating around the edges at times

1 Like

Found the problem most of the time its end user issue… i forgot that i had install again sonarworks reference 4 that i bought a while ago and recalibrate my monitors … great produce but the problem i record in 48k sonarworks needs 44.1k with there virtual drivers… so that is causing my timing issue… so Cubase this one is on me thanks all for helping me out…

1 Like