Audio Engine Timeout, Dorico won't start

I’m having this problem with Dorico Pro 2. I installed it last night, without installing any of the Playback packages. The program loaded and then stalled at I think 70% when I tried opening a project. I think I tried again with the same results. At some point in the process I went into the download asst. and installed Playback 1 (I /think/ the installation was successful) and now it won’t load at all, stuck on Audio Engine Waiting for Connection, or Audio Engine Timeout.

Could you please choose from the main menu Help > Create Diagnostic Report ? That will create a zip file on your desktop containing log information. Please send it to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.

I can’t do that, because I can’t get past the launch/splash screen. There are no menus or anything.

Then please instead zip up the folder

C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine2_64
or
Users//Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine2

and send me please.

Hiya, I’m having the same issue. A file I’m trying to open hangs at 70% on Dorico Pro — and at 60% on Dorico 1. I thought maybe it was a corrupt file, but none of the backups open, either, nor any other file I’ve created. Interestingly, the sample files installed with Dorico Pro work just fine.

Reading through this thread, I thought maybe it’d be helpful to attach the VST crash logs. I’ve included the most recent five.

I’m not sweating; I have printed copies of my most important projects, but I’d love to avoid having to recreate everything.

Thanks for all you’re doing.

UPDATE! I was able to get my file to open, but it took a few steps and a lot of forum reading! I’m on a Mac, but I borrowed a friend’s PC to make this work…

1. Renamed my file to “Filename.dorico.zip”
  2. Looked inside the zip archive and deleted the VST folder
  3. Renamed the file to “Filename.dorico” — removing the “.zip”
  4. The file opened, but had no playback
  5. Assigned a playback template from Play > Playback Template, and everything works beautifully

Cheers!
VSTCrashLog.zip (100 KB)

Thanks Ulf, I’ve sent it.

Brxhst, you should still be able to run Dorico 1.x, no??

brxhst, I think it’s highly likely that those projects would open if you removed the saved audio engine data from inside them. Depending on how many projects you have that refuse to open, I could do this for you if you zip them up and send them to me (perhaps via WeTransfer.com).

I had the same problem after the installation of dorico pro 2.
the program doesn´t start correctly, it stucks at launching the audio engine.
And the second problem caused at the same time- cubase doesnt work again. i had to deinstall and install the complete program. the repair function doesn´t work. the error: “Side-by-Side-Konfiguration ungültig”

I’m having a similar problem with Note Performer. I open a project, choose Note Performer in the Playback Template window, and everything seems to stop. If I then quit Dorico and restart it, everything behaves as expected, including the availability of Note Performer.

I’m experiencing a very similar issue, did opening Dorico did not work for every project or just that one? , because for me not a single one works.

I’ve had a look at the crash file and this is one we’ve never seen before. In order for us to reproduce this one, would you be able to provide us with the corresponding original Dorico project? We’ll keep it fully confidential and only use it for solving the issue. If it is okay with you, please send to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’.

Today i can´t start the software the third time. New Error: “Suspend ASIO: true”

Could you please zip up the folder /Users//AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/VSTAudioEngine2_64 and send to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’?

Thanks, Daniel! Yes, this solution worked like a charm. Per Ulf’s request, I’ve emailed a copy of a “broken” file, as well as a fixed one for your internal review. Thanks, too, for the offer to personally help manipulate my files — that’s above and beyond! Fortunately, I only have a few projects in the works, so it’s no big deal. I’m not super prolific, haha.

I just downloaded the new Dorico 2.2 update (update only, nothing else). After rebooting, I tried to start Dorico, but the splash screen displays
Audio engine timeout.

I rebooted a second time, opened nothing but Dorico and it worked fine. Just reporting this behavior.

If this happens it often means that there’s a audio engine process that isn’t responding, eg because it didn’t exit cleanly on the last run. You should find that killing any vstaudioengine2 processes that are still around, and then restarting Dorico will fix this.

I just caught this problem on my PC today and was able to see what was going on.
Incidently, it happened after I had downloaded a few VSTs/Effects for my DAW (nothing related to Dorico).

When Dorico stalled, I saw two processes running I never saw before:
VSTSCANNERMASTER.EXE and VSTSCANNER.EXE.

It seems this download dumped alot of files in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 (about a GB worth !) and this process parsed every one of them. ( I think a downloader went crazy --nothing to do with Dorico) .
Since the process was making progress, I let it run. Took about 15 minutes and then everything started working fine.

Thanks so much. I just did this and it worked. I have been getting frustrated by this for weeks by this.

@Elijah_Baker, may I ask you what your real problem is or was. Because you are referring here to a 4 year old thread and I have the suspicion that your problem is different and needs to be dealt with in another way. So please explain what exact situation iation you were facing. Thanks

I did download an update for Halionsonic and Dorico and that seemed to permanently fix the issue. Unfortunately, I do not know the coding, programming, or detailed insights into Dorico itself and cannot provide you with what the “real problem” was from a technical standpoint. All I know is that (at the time) this 4-year-old thread immediately fixed my issue and I was able to resume my work.

I can say that I am operating on Windows 11 and it seems the process to fix this issue is consistent between Mac and Windows, which is to go into task manager and end any VST programs.

It seems that my program just needed to be updated, but I would not be able to explain why that caused Dorico not to boot up and get stuck on “audio initializing.” It would only boot up if I restarted my PC, and then when it did boot up into Dorico…the program would sometimes crash when I would save.