Audio over USB external gear

Newbie question from a vst guy who starts using hardware synths and grooveboxes.

I recently bought a Roland mc-707 and it has support for audio/midi over a single USB cable, which means that I can save 2 inputs on my main audio interface Begringer UMC 1820.

When I connect the MC-707 via usb, in Cubase pro I have to choose it as a sound interface otherwise i cant see the inputs for it. The problem is that I do not hear the sound as the speakers are connected to my main audio interface.

Is there a way to keep my main audio interface but be able to record and hear mc-707 via usb without me having to switch between these 2?

Hi and welcome to the forum,

You cannot combine multiple Audio Devices (ASIO drivers) in Cubase. So the only way is to glue the Audio Devices to one ASIO driver by using 3rd party application, like ASIO4ALL on Windows or Aggregate Device on Mac, please…

1 Like

For any future users who are figuring out how to do this (like I just was), after you install ASIO4ALL (free software), restart etc, it will show up as a driver option in Studio Setup. Choose ASIO4ALL as your ASIO driver.

From that Studio Setup screen you can then open a Control Panel window which will show your connected music devices. In my case it was a Korg KronosX that I was trying to get to communicate with Cubase. Switch on the respective device(s). There is an advanced setting which can elaborate between in/out for each device and some other things.

Under Studio - Audio Connections, create a new Input Bus to represent your device. If you plan to use it as an output as well, create a new Output Bus too.

Create a new Audio track. From the inspector tab you can select the input and output bus. Your new instrument bus should be on the list. In order to hear your external USB connected instrument, you will need to monitor that track by selecting the monitor button.

I did have to close and open Cubase again to engage some of the changes I made in this process. I’m please to say that so far it seems to be working nicely.