Audio waveform not showing in 9.5?

Having just started with Cubase Elements 9 on Windows, this might be me or it might be the upgrade to 9.5.

Last week, having just started with 9, I battled my way through and have recorded a few things and sort of vaguely know what I am doing (I last used this on my Atari a LONG time ago!). I recorded guitar and bass and had lovely little pictures of the waveform.

I’ve upgraded and opening old projects, the waveforms of previously recorded tracks are there, but anything I now record doesn’t show a waveform, though there seems to be the odd dotted vertical line where I may have red lined. Further, there is nothing showing in the editor.

Now, I was messing with stuff and it might be me having accidentally messed up a setting. (I’m using UMC ASIO input from a Behringer USB input FWIW).

What can I poke?

This has been mentioned elsewhere, longest thread, I think, below (It might be worth going through the thread as there are possible solutions which might work for you in there (though don’t for me)):

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=250&t=126467

I’ve not, as yet, seen any acknowledgement from Steinberg that it is an issue, presumably as it does not happen on all Windows machines (only on one of mine for instance). I think it’s mainly an NVIDIA issue but not certain of that either. Myb we need to riase it on the issues page to get a response from Steinberg at least to acknowledge the issue that some of us are having.

I’m using the following as a semi-solution: Go to Preferences-Record-Audio and un-tick “Record Audio images during Record” then at least after recording the Waveform images do show up…still not ideal but better than nothing I think.

PS: Welcome back…I was an Atari user with Cubase too (I think it was Cubeat back then?).

Thanks, I had a search for a similar thread but didn’t spot it. I’ll post there once I’ve digested and tested!

I’m having the same problem on my Mac, so your not alone. I record audio tracks and no waveform. Also,9.5 keeps crashing on me. I went back to using 9 till these issues are resolved. I have no idea how to fix these issues.

Sorry to hear you’re in the no waveforms boat with us, the first Mac user I think. Do look at the link above I gave to the other thread with this problem discussed as it has some suggestions which may help (though haven’t solved it for most).

It has been confirmed as a bug, they are working on a fix.
I don’t have the issue, but it has been reported that disabling the show waveform while recording at least gives you a working waveform after the recording has ended. I suggest reading the other threads about this, to get more precise information, this is just of the top of my head.