AUv2 wrapper not working

My specs:
VST SDK 3.7
MacOS 11.0 with ARM
SingleComponent version

Problem description:

  • The VST3 version works fine

  • With the AU version the plugin GUI opens, but it does not output audio

  • process(ProcessData& data) is never called

  • Reaper crashes after closing the plugin

  • auval crashes:


VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: ‘aumu’ - ‘T2WA’ - ‘TON2’

Manufacturer String: Tone2
AudioUnit Name: Warlock
Component Version: 256.0.0 (0x1000000)

    • PASS

TESTING OPEN TIMES:
COLD:
Time to open AudioUnit: 74.595 ms
WARM:
Time to open AudioUnit: 13.418 ms
FIRST TIME:
FATAL ERROR: Initialize: result: -10875

Is it possible that the AUwrapper does not work with a single component plugin?

No, the AU wrapper should work with single component plugins.

I am not sure here. As mentioned before: process(ProcessData& data) is never called. So the plugin can’t output audio.

Which channel config do you have configured?

Singlecomponent, VST SDK 3.7.

BEGIN_FACTORY_DEF(“Tone2.com”,“https://www.tone2.com","mailto:support@tone2.com”)
DEF_CLASS2(INLINE_UID(0x7612D4BC, 0x373543EB, 0xBF3CA654, 0xEA9AE423),
PClassInfo::kManyInstances,
kVstAudioEffectClass,
“Warlock”,
0,
Vst::PlugType::kInstrumentSynth,
FULL_VERSION_STR,
kVstVersionString,
Steinberg::Vst::T2Audio::createInstance)
END_FACTORY

tresult PLUGIN_API T2Audio::setBusArrangements(SpeakerArrangement* inputs, int32 numIns,SpeakerArrangement* outputs, int32 numOuts)
{
if (numIns == 0 && numOuts == 1 && outputs[0] == SpeakerArr::kStereo)
{
return SingleComponentEffect::setBusArrangements(inputs, numIns, outputs, numOuts);
}
return kResultFalse;
}

I’m out of ideas. You have to debug to see where things went wrong. If you are able to debug, place a breakpoint in AUWrapper::initialize and check that it runs thru it without returning an error code.

It seems that with an XCode update the wrapper does not longer compile at all:

Further observations:

Big Sur, ARM:

  1. symlinks within the .component file do not longer work. You need to copy plugin.vst3 into it. Otherwise it fails auval.

Notarisation:

  1. since December 2020 Apple’s software notarisation does not longer accept symlinks within .component files

I always copy&rename VST3 to the resources. And I did successfully compilation of AUwrapper v2 about month ago (but SDK 2018, only for x86_64 architecture)

edit: uff it still works

@MarkusK1 I do not know if that can help but one thing you could try is go to Web - Jamba and generate a blank plugin. Then try to generate the Audio Unit and see if that works. (configure the project and provide the path to your SDK installation (--vst3 option) and run jamba.sh install-au).

I am not saying you should use Jamba for your project, I am just saying that as far as I know I have updated Jamba to work with M1 and I tested on my MacBook Air with Garage band and the plugin was working fine. If this test works it means there must be something wrong with your setup/toolchain.