AWESOME Mixer GUI

not just a skinnable mixer…but skinnable along with EQ and summing mixer algorithm swappable…ie install the Neve VSTm virtual mixer…and the channel faders look like Neve faders and when you hit “e” then the eqs are now Neve eqs instead of the “vanilla” steinberg ones…etc.

surely this is the future…

I understand the look does make a difference to a first time buyer of a DAW, but to me the key factor is workflow. I always love to come back to Cubase after doing projects in other DAW’s. The mixer in Cubase is very functional and easy to customize. If Steinberg are making any changes to the mixer I hope they will be only minor, not altering the best workflow offered by any DAW on the market.

Then there are those who think that Ableton, Logic, Pro Tools, etc are offering a workflow supirior to Cubase. But they are wrong, of course :unamused:

until we can see inserts and sends together and be able to hide channels properly I wont be 100% happy with the cubase mixer.

It’s crazy we cant maximise the mixer on a second monitor to be able to see sends and inserts.

Reaper’s mixer with its different channel strips for FX channels,Busses etc colured faders, different widths etc etc is a lot easier to work with than cubase.

The arrange page is a different matter.

MC

I’ve made multiple requests through the years for at least a new mixer view that shows both sends and inserts. Given all the other ways that Cubase allows you to view what’s going on in the mixer I find this a glaring omission. I suspect (and hope) that this will be coming in ver. 7. As for me, the arrange page is about as nice as it gets.

-Rich

An EQ preview thum, inserts and sends all in one view in the mixer is a great idea!!!

Yes I’m not too worried as I’m pretty certain we’ll see a new mixer in cubase 7. I agree about the arrange page too :slight_smile:

MC

To be honest as long as it gets the job done then I don’t really care too much.
But I do also find myself been drawn towards attractive graphics if they are well laid out.

We’ll see what improvements Cubase 7 come up with.
Being able to colour code the whole channel strip, better display of the channel type (the colour caps is not that good), viewing inserts and sends at the same time would make my life easier.
Some grouping function inspired by Protools mixer would be a great addition too.

I forgot. I’m probably not that happy with the mixer after all :confused:

Personnally, I would like to be able to right click on a summing point and have a mixer pop up with ONLY the channels, sends, etc, that feed into it.

One could even select a template that specifies which parameters are to be available on that popup, making it as simple or as complex as the need requires.

This way it would be seconds to right click on a Studio channel and popup a simple mixer with only level sliders for the sends feeding it and place it on a remote touchscreen for the artist to adjust their own foldback mix. And repeat just as simply for each artist.

Currently such a mix can only be done by adjusting the tiny horizontal Studio sends in the upper section of channel strips or creating a bunch of dedicated group channels just to get large faders, fed by sends from channels and which feed into a master group channel sending to the Studio channel, then using one of the only three mixers to place on a remote screen. Both are dogs to set up and use. Hardly scalable!!

With DAWs these days, there are a whole lot of views we could dynamically generate, but are stuck with pretending that we must:
a) have ALL the visuals that physical desks couldn’t avoid, and
b) cannot have easy access to the myriad new parameters that desks can never handle.

I did not grow up with physical desks, so the ‘biological memory’ in my fingers, arms and eyes is not limited by their decades old limitations, but I am stuck with their legacy in the form of the resistance of DAW designers to push the envelope of GUI flexibility and configurability.

Flexibility does not have to mean complexity if designed elegantly.