"Baby You're Real" (remix)

I posted a version of this last Summer but have revisited it here. Is the bass loud enough? :laughing:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=10528450&q=hi&newref=1

TURN IT UP LOUD!!!

Excellent Doug. No nits from me :sunglasses:
Cheers
Phil

Hi Doug

I think this is excellent. The only thing I would possibly do is to make the vocal just a little bit more ā€˜presentā€™ tonally. You have a nice mellow voice which doesnā€™t need any warming up IMVHO

Cheers
Dave

yes Doug,nice tune and i agee with dave you`ve got a good voice, at 2.34 you sounded a bit like Seal .just one nit i thought the snare was a bit heavy ,but yeh, nice dreamy melody, like it.

A great track Doug, sung really nicely.

Some of the decorative motifs/lines I thought were a tad loud. Minor nit.

Jet

Must say im Impressed. Whole things put together so well. Really enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

Nice song, enjoyed it as well!

Hi Doug,

Great songā€¦I like! :smiley:

Mix is very good, vocals are great and your acoustic sounds :sunglasses: :smiley:

I had several listens to this yesterday and thought I was hearing a couple of things that
didnā€™t sound quite right to me. Being a little chicken I wanted to wait and see what others
had to say first as my track record of commenting on mixes has been pretty poor, and off the mark
in the past. :blush:

Ok, so no one has mentioned what I think im hearing so it looks like itā€™s just me :blush: but I want
to mention it for peace of mind and if im wrong, please correct me! :wink:

Im hearing a slight build up of energy on the second chord of the distorted guitars.
Around the 150/200hz area, maybe? Not sure if its the guitars or reverb? Just gets a ā€˜touchā€™ muddy in those
parts for me.
Firestamper mentioned the snare, and this was also playing on my mind, and itā€™s probably a taste thing but perhaps
too much body in the snare? (200hz area?)

The kickā€¦wellā€¦this really could be a personal taste thing as ive got into the habit of placing my
T-racks pultec eq on every kick i use, a bit on the bass gtr and across the whole mix as this (for me)
really warms up the low end and gives my work that energy down there thats always been missing
in the past. So i think the kick could do with a little more low end weight/thud, though it might not
suit this track, hard to say not being in front of the mix and trying it (am I digging myself a hole yet? :open_mouth: :laughing: )

Sorry for using your track as a place to start airing my mix thoughts, as I said, great song and mix regardless of my thoughts above! :wink:

Unable to hear this on my monitors so im using my c****y Ā£20 pair of canz, I am looking to upgrade them
(soon I hope :smiley: )

Cheers
Sav

Good observation. Actually, I wanted ā€œthickā€ and dark, but not really muddy. Iā€™ll take a closer look at it.

Firestamper mentioned the snare, and this was also playing on my mind, and itā€™s probably a taste thing but perhaps
too much body in the snare? (200hz area?)

Iā€™m notorious for mixng the snare way upā€¦ itā€™s something of a ā€œsignatureā€

The kickā€¦wellā€¦this really could be a personal taste thing as ive got into the habit of placing my
T-racks pultec eq on every kick i use, a bit on the bass gtr and across the whole mix as this (for me)
really warms up the low end and gives my work that energy down there thats always been missing
in the past. So i think the kick could do with a little more low end weight/thud, though it might not
suit this track, hard to say not being in front of the mix and trying it (am I digging myself a hole yet? > :open_mouth: > > :laughing: > )

Previously I did in fact have more kick in thye mix, but it was eating up too muh headroom and overpowered the track. This mix youā€™re hearing is something of a compromise. If I were to ever have it mastered, the ME and would go from there if we wanted to make it bigger. Iā€™ve already got a filter on it with a fair amount of bottom dialed in

Thanks for the comments! Everybody!

Mix sounds good generally Doug, I think you sing this one well.

I was never a fan of the whistling melody though, that first appears at 0:16 - well the sound that is, not so much the tune as such. Iā€™m sure I said so on the original post. In fact its fair to say ā€¦ I really dislike it a lot! :smiling_imp:
Of the billions of sound choices at your disposal why did you have to choose that?? :laughing:
Apart from that though I have no complaints. :smiley:

Well, we all know Doug has ongoing problems with his snares. :laughing:

Ouch! :laughing:

But thatā€™s my favorite part of the whole tune! Actually, itā€™s a bell with a bunch of distortion and delay on it

I thought that part was a great choice. Wasnā€™t sure what it was was, but instantly knew I liked it.

Ah, good point! I didnt think about the mastering stage :smiley:

I think I listened to this track more than several times as this tune was going round in my head this morning
while I was eating my Cornflakes! :smiley:

Cheers
Sav

:open_mouth: Uh-Ohā€¦what have I started? :laughing:

Hello Doug,

I do remember hearing this. This version sounds great, love the melody and arrangement. Your voice sound good too. Question, did you pan the snare a shade to the left of center or is it my system? Personal taste is snare to center. Well done, very smooth and flowing song.

John

Thanks John. I think the snare is center

Fort me, the snare is the focal point of the rock songā€¦ I remember many classics because of the snare sound before the vocal :laughing:

great hook in the chorus thats what I remember. really nice break to the acoustic. enjoyably melodic song

Yeah Doug, you could retire on this one. :wink:

Hi Doug,

I remember this one, it sounds good to me!
Great song. :sunglasses:

Oh, and I do like the distorted bell sound!

Cheers,
Wim