Beatnik Breakdown

This is what happens when you stubbornly follow thru on an idea. I hope its not too much in the smooth jazz category but mainly I would appreciate feedback on the mix and guitar tones Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/impact-jones/beatnik-breakdown

this is, very smooth, very cool, very easy to listen to and very excellent…no stand out problems anywhere as far as I’m concerned except there seems to be a bit of a stutter at 21 sec’s, the only blip on an otherwise silky performance…Kevin

Mix sounds great. Guitar tones are great – straight up jazz tone. What are you using? Song is on the smooth side, but it definitely moves. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen. Kevin I’m not hearing the stutter you mention, that might be fx that I layered in.
Early, I’m using the guitar in my avatar, an ES 175 . I play it into a Johnson J Station which acts as a preamp and then in Guitar Rig 5.

[quote=“Mr M”]Thanks for taking the time to listen. Kevin I’m not hearing the stutter you mention, that might be fx that I layered in.

Must be me then…

Really smooth. Cool use of different sounds and textures as a backgound for your guitar playing (which is very good)

Good production and use of synths, not crazy about the trail off on synth line (example 3:18 to 3:23) as it takes away from great guitar work and puts focus on keys where it belongs the guitar. guitar tone is really nice, interesting to hear you use NI
Love this

Thanks for the points you make; never thought of this. I’ve purchased a couple of light versions of Ampitude over the years and this generally sounds better than Guitar Rig but my gripe with both is that they’re basically made so that clean tones aren’t even an afterthought: they are just left out. I like GR because it has psychedelic possibilities not included in the Amplitude versions I own

it’s got a nice feel to it and overall very clean…good job. only comment i can make is that it seems that the electric piano growls a little bit too much when you initially hit the keys…since it’s a smooth piece (just my thought)

nice!
frank

Very nice, Ron. Is that you in your av ? I thought that was a young Chuck Berry. :slight_smile:

I like your production here. Very easy on the ears and it evolves nicely. I like the inventive touches,
like the heavily verbed piano parts. The only thing that stood out to me was the different snare that comes in
around 1:00. I think that could come down some.

Thanks Lenny, yes thats a younger me, same guitar I’m using today.

Sounds great to me, I like it :slight_smile:. Did you program all the drums yourself or are these loops? They sound really good!

Nice, sounds pretty good from where I’m sitting :sunglasses:

I’ve purchased a couple of light versions of Ampitude over the years and this generally sounds better than Guitar Rig but my gripe with both is that they’re basically made so that clean tones aren’t even an afterthought: they are just left out. I like GR because it has psychedelic possibilities not included in the Amplitude versions I own

I wondered if there’s anything you could dial-up the Cubase bundled Amp Rack? Its not my area of expertise but I’ve been happily using this plugin for my guitar needs since it was first included with Cubase, though I haven’t actually explored or tried it for cleaner jazz tones. Anyway, just a thought…

:sunglasses:

I use Maschine for drums These days I’ll bring up a Maschine soundset that has midi that I like, then swap out the sounds and use that as a starting point. Generally I make changes add my own fills and such.

Good point, I should try that. I haven’t experimented with the included Amp Rack very much. Thanks

Nice song! I really like when it goes into the “B” part of the song. *the part where the aux percussion cuts out) Those chord changes are nice! Classic ES series guitar sound and nice Wes flavorings in there. Thanks for the listen.

That’s a really nice guitar tone you’ve got going there - it sounds especially good on your octave playing. To my ears it sort of starts off like a dark jazz tone but there’s more mid and highs to it as the note sustains. Very nice. Lovely playing.

In terms of mix, I agree with the comment about the electric piano, in that it comes in quite ‘hard’ and could be perhaps mixed lower or given a softer or more chorus-sy tone, but the whole thing’s got a great feel. Reminded me a bit of Ronnie Jordan.

Steve.

I was wondering how I was going to describe my only real criticism and it’s that, when the above mentioned notes are played they’re a bit louder/harder than everything else. Other than that, quite relaxing and smooth ;D Sounds good overall, well done and get some more recorded. :sunglasses:

Mr M,
That alone is why I bought Cubase originally in 2004, and that was to lay down tracks like this. This is my style of performance and I really really liked it. As for that stutter at:21, I think it is perfect coincidence to your build so I might dismiss the thought

Very nice …gotta love the es-175 too!

jonathan and knuckle , thanks for listening. I can see that the electric piano hits are pretty up front. To my thinking its the kind of element ,along with the electronic “over” at 5 sec and the voice at 8 sec that I always use to make sure my songs don’t exactly fall into the smooth jazz category. I’m convinced there is an audience out there for music incorporating a beat ,real playing along with electronics but is on the smoother side :but not smooth jazz. The latter is important to me. This kind of sound is the basis of popular online station Soma FM Groove Salad, except almost all of the music there is just loops and I don’t want that.

Also I keep relistening to the 21 sec mark but I think whats being heard is just a snare roll.Maybe its dominating the mix so as to sound like a stutter. Anyway thanks again