Behringer X Touch Controller

Yes, it seems none of the known local stores are stocking it. Even some of the popular online stores.

Thank you so much for the information! Automation with motorized faders in an affordable package is the whole appeal for me and the behavior you described is just intolerableā€¦

Also bear in mind that what Jazzius described only happens when writing in the ā€œtakeoverā€ mode. The transition is sloppy but the fader reading initially worked fine.
Iā€™ve never seen a takeover function for automating in Cubase but itā€™s nice to know that Cubase supports that. If it doesnā€™t, maybe it doesnā€™t implement that feature offered by X Touch. Thoughts Jazzius?

Iā€™ll stand by my statements.

First off, the x-touch is completely unaware of whether automation is new, old, or otherwise, and so it categorically cannot return a different value depending on ā€œnewā€ or ā€œexistingā€ automation. It is essentially stateless.

Secondly, you can easily prove calibration simply by picking a spot midway, say one of the marked indexes on the x-touch fader strip.

Just grab a fader, move it to the top and notice in cubase that the value shown in the corresponding cubase fader is maxed. Move the fader to the spot you selected and note the value. Repeat the test - you should be easily able get to within a few counts, every time. You can try the same test from the bottom, same results. You can do these tests with the transport stopped. You can do these tests using the well known utility Midi-Ox as well and observe from there. Same results. If there is any fault in calibration, it will show up here in these simple repeatability tests.

OTOH, you can get ā€œjumpsā€ in written automation which donā€™t necessarily correspond to fader position if you have cubaseā€™s trim mode engaged - and this is because trim mode applies an ā€œoffsetā€ (based on the fader position) to the existing automation, not an absolute value corresponding to the fader position. This behavior is as designed.

For somehow who actually has this unit - I have a dimension question. The specs list that it is 3.9" tall. Is that the height at the back of the unit, or is that the height including the knobs?

Oh, one other thing that may trip people up - the buttonsā€™ actions donā€™t match the labels on the unit. However, there are a set of overlays that users have created which show how the buttons are mapped under Cubase - see direct PDF link here: https://forum.musictri.be/attachment.php?attachmentid=1013&d=1447342977 and forum discussion here : https://forum.musictri.be/showthread.php?9134-X-Touch-Overlay-for-Cubase

1 Like

I stuck a ruler next to mine and roughly eyeballed about 4 inches to the top of the pan pots - yeah, that spec is probably inclusive of of the knobs.

Thank you. So it is probably 3.5" at the very back? 3" at the front?

That site is helpful, and a printout of the Cubase controller pdf will help until you get a comfortable workflow established.

I created a document in Word which contains the correct labels for Cubase too - you just print it out on sturdy glossy photo paper, 4x6 will do. You just cut strips out from it, and attach to the top of the unit above a row of buttons with just a touch of good olā€™ rubber cement. Nothing permanent that canā€™t be easily removed.

If anyone would like a copy, feel free to pm/request a copy - itā€™s just a Word doc.

Something like that, yes, but I donā€™t have a way to exactly measure it. It does command a bit of presence on your desktop, but during the mixing stage, the workflow benefits make it very much worth the space.

Thank you much SuperG.

I tried one for several days. Cubase support for the controller is lacking compared to how the X-Touch works with Logic. Logic uses the X-Touch buttons in the way they are labeled on the device. Cubase remaps a lot of them and doesnā€™t seem to use some others at all.

I returned the X-Touch. Not really a fault of the device.

I think I am going to go with the Nektar P1.

Exactly! The unit is a clone of the Mackie MCU Pro (better looking IMO), operation of the unit is the same for both. Everyone will ultimately have a different experience using a controller. In my case, I was happily surprised in a positive way, coming over from having used it in Sonar.

YMMV!

That is the height of the back of the unit including the knobs.

Ok, hereā€™s what Iā€™m experiencing. Iā€™m in the early learning stages as I have just purchased it.

The jog wheel does move in 1/16 note increments. Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s a way to adjust the increment size, just have to experiment more.
I donā€™t believe itā€™s designed to act like a fast scroller. Cubase will have its own protocol for this so it will function differently than your other DAWs.
That being said, itā€™s on Cubase, not the X Touch.
The fast forward/rewind does not move in increments but I believe itā€™s designed that way intentionally. Hence ā€œfastā€ forward. Itā€™s designed to get you to your bar destination quicker and then you dial in with the jog function.

Iā€™ve had a chance to work with the X Touch and found there is an alternative to using new overlays to justify the right button functions.
In fact, I can reprogram ā€œallā€ the buttons to respond to the designated labels on the the hardware. Itā€™s more time consuming but the results are finite and can be saved.

As far as the automation goes I put my return to the highest amount that it will go I think itā€™s 2000ms so when it stops writing automation it takes 2000mseconds to go back to the other point nice and smooth

How? Iā€™ve seen the function key mappings in the Studio Setup dialog, but have missed how to reprogram anything else. This would be a total game-changer for me!

The ā€œMackie Controlā€ has most of the mapping right with a few exceptions. To reprogram all of the mapping, you have to create a ā€œgeneric remoteā€.
That mapping page has a ā€œlearnā€ function that enables you to program each function. In the map page, you rename the control name, click the ā€œlearnā€ square, then push the corresponding button on the remote device. Iā€™m on the way to creating new mapping which I can save on export. This may take me a while as I will create in spare time but when I finish, I can provide a template that can be reprogrammed for minor alterations.