Behringer X Touch Controller

That would be amazing. I’ll give that a go too, and see if I can resolve some of my transport-related issues with the unit as a start. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and if you do end up with a usable template, please do share. I’ll do the same.

Thanks again!

No problem. Would be happy to collaborate. Maybe you will discover something I may have overlooked.

I’ve made some progress in mapping the transport and other buttons, but I can see it’s going to be a long job to remap everything. Looks like a weekend project :wink:

One thing I am stuck on is how to map the faders and get the meters working. Simple buttons seem easy enough to map, but I’m lost as to what to configure (Flags etc.)

Have you got those working yet? If so, what did you do to get them configured? Or do you have a rough template I could try to get started with?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

My suggestion is to put this on hold at this juncture. I’ve encountered the same problem with the display, encoders and faders. I contacted Behringer and unfortunately, the full size X-Touch will not yield full programmability. Only the Compact and Mini will execute full universal programming outside of the Mackie protocol which I think is blind marketing after paying for the full size model. Why would the cheaper spin-offs have that capability and not the full size? Behringer suggested to keep the firmware updated in hopes that an alternative to Mackie control is implemented.

It really surprises me that certain things can’t be programmed because this X-Touch is fully capable in Mackie control mode. My assessment is that Mackie mode is probably a separate internal programming in the unit.

I tried all combinations of the flag configurations more than once to no avail. I could get the encoders to work smoothly in one direction but the other direction was on/off, not variable.

The generic remote mapping in the learn mode was seeing the faders as a “note on” rather than a variable controller. I manually switched it to “controller” but it still acted like a “note on”. I think this is because the first command it sees is the “touch sensor” on the fader button which is on/off and negates the following variable command of the fader. I even tried moving the fader with an object so as to not trigger the human touch sensor but then it didn’t read anything.

Stay tuned, I’m not done with Behringer yet! :slight_smile:

*Most folks buy the X-Touch because its a drop-in replacement for the Mackie. Like the mackie, the buttons are labelled for Logic. Most daws repurpose some of the buttons to better match their.
own particular feature set. Most of us just create labels strips - some go as far as creating a lexan overlay.

Yes, I have an overlay template but didn’t want to stick anything onto the nice clean surface. :slight_smile:
More importantly, I was looking to customize some of the buttons to suit my own workflow but for the time being, keyboard strokes will suffice.
Honestly, I think Behringer is just a firmware update or two away from bringing more programmability to fruition. Only the variable buttons need be attended to. Everything else programs.

It seems to work pretty good in MCU mode, but I struggled using it as a generic controller. It took hours to get the settings just right and I had to ask for help. I’m usually the guy others call for help.

Did you get the faders, encoders and transport display to respond correctly in generic mode?
It does work well in MCU mode with a few exceptions. I wanted to program my own protocol in generic but ran into problems on the variable controls.
I programmed all the push on/off buttons just fine.

Using the XTOUCH editor you can specify the MIN and MAX values…this will modify the sensitivity…give it a try

hello all…

so, my xtouch works fine, for the most part with cubase 9.5.whatever. but i have found an annoying issue

and rather than go through menu hell, i thought i would ask here. It seems that during mixdowns/recording to,

if i go to touch the physical faders on the xtouch, NOTES play out in different pitch from different faders as i touch them…

i know there is a cure for this… i would be greatly appreciative for any help with this. it makes mixing hard at times becuase

as i said, if you touch a fader during playback and recording too i think, notes play like from a keyed instrument.

i await your thoughts on this… geez, i should have saved up a bit more and got the mackie unit… seemed much more of a fit for daw’s

thanks all!

Take a look at the Cubase remote ports you are using to talk to the X-Touch (sorry not at DAW to get exact names). Make sure you haven’t included them in your “all midi ports” setup. I’m guessing you somehow have X-Touch control data getting routed to a VSTi (or maybe even the Windows GM synth) and being played back as midi resulting in sound.

FYI the x-touch is pretty much a Mackie clone, so its not likely to make a difference on this.

I just got one of these units
there are some buttons that are labeled incorrectly but thats easy enough there are some guys online that have made overlays.
I have not figured out how to map the Function keys yet but I have not really tried too hard.

One thing I will say is to be sure your VSTi’s are not set to read midi in from ALL because the X-Touch send a midi message every time you push a button so I would hit play and hear an instrument… drove me crazy for a day!!! lol

There is nothing wrong with having your VSTi’s input set to ALL. Just make sure that you configure the ALL setting so it doesn’t include inputs used by an X-Touch or any other controller surface.

In general for the ALL MIDI setup you should include ports that have stuff attached like a MIDI Keyboard or Drum Pads, i.e. stuff you play music with. And it should exclude all the ports connected to stuff you use to control Cubase’s behavior.

Counter-intuitively ALL doesn’t really mean everything. :astonished:
Rather it means only those ports you decide to include.

1 Like

awesome thanks

Disregard, already said. :slight_smile:

Hey guys, does anyone make Xtouch to show proper colors on display? It supposed to show tracks color as i know, but my is static blue.

I think you are confused. It doesn’t do that.

Supposedly, the X-Touch display colors in its label displays when used as a controller for it’s rack mounted mixer. Likely, they implemented a non-standard extension to the mackie protocol to do it. Plus, Behringer also shows the unit with the labels colorized, which is probably the main source of confusion.

Is it supposed to change the color on the rack mount? Because my X-Touch display is monochromatic.

No, the rack is supposed to change the label colors on the X-touch, when you set channel colors at the rack mixer. Depending on the rack unit, you may have to go through a web interface to set it.

Your X-Touch is not monochromatic, it is capable of coloring it’s label strips, but this feature isn’t part of the mackie standard, so you only get mono in cubase.