Black Friday Sale: Scoring Express Dorico templates from Notation Central

Thanks a lot Daniel!
Defining Bravura as a fallback for the “Scoring Express plaintext fonts” and for the Chord Symbols fonts did the trick: Now the chord symbols appear as Bravura on the iPad which is fine for me.

1 Like

Hi Leo,
after I learned from Daniel that I could fix the appearance of the chord symbols on my iPad for scores that I produced with the Realbook template from Scoring Express I just modified the template by defining Bravura as fallback for the chord symbols font and the “Scoring Express plaintext font”. Now the template can be used and leads to readable scores when transferred to iPad. Maybe you could use this fix in general in future releases of Scoring express in order to avoid that other users run into trouble when using Scoring Express and transfer the results to IPad.
Thanks again for the great work.
Cheers Tom

1 Like

On the one hand it’s great that there’s a viable workaround for you. On the other hand, a great deal of work’s gone into both making custom fonts and tweaking Engraving Options to work specifically with those fonts, and said Engraving Options give suboptimal results when paired with different fonts.

I need to have a think and discuss with my colleagues about the best way to handle this.

I understand your doubts Leo, on the other hand it is not really nice if one produces lead sheets which cannot be read on iPad, as a lot lot of my fellow Jazz musicians are using IPads all day (or should I say all night) long…

But are they using the iPad to edit or just to read? (ForScore!)

I love my iPad for gigging, but find ForScore a much better app for music reading, as Mark mentioned. If you really need to do more editing than ForScore allows, I understand using. Dorico.

I don’t know where Steinberg sees the reader function of Dorico for iPad going, but I don’t think (?) they are trying to replace an app like ForScore. I see it more as a proofing tool.

1 Like

You are of course right; normally we are using Igig-pro and forscore but as we are playing with different singers, we have to transpose all the time - and that is where it comes in handy to have the Dorico iPad app. I mostly use Dorico on my Macs and transfer PDFs to the iPad. On the other hand it is quite handy to have my Dorico Leadsheet folder on the iCloud Drive so that I can always take a tune and transpose it etc.

1 Like

It’s useful to have this sort of insight into your use case. Thank you!

I was just about to buy the Express bundle for Dorico, but then I read that is is not for European paper sizes. I hope you make one, as I would be very interested in that. If the European sizes would be like a free upgrade for owners of the US size, I would by the package instantly - knowing that it will be perfect in the near future.

1 Like

Actually, it’s as easy as changing the paper size in Layout options… Leo designed this (along with other people at NY music services, Philip Rothmann and Joseph Trefler) and he’s living in Great Britain (not really Europe any more… but still, they use european paper size). I simply change whatever size there is with A4 or A3 and it’s working well. Of course, if there’s a european update, I’ll take it!

1 Like

Ok. I was actually considering it to be just as easy as that. The US only “specification” put some fear in me. I am looking forward to using the templates for a new theater piece I am starting on tonight :slight_smile: Thank you Marc!

1 Like

Is there a way to delete templates that we create? I created one that I don’t want and can’t seem to find any folder with them to delete.

See Deleting project templates

1 Like

Gotta love that you have to “create new” to access the dialogue that allows you to delete.

3 Likes

Also:

Perfectly logical for long-time Windows users accustomed to click “Start” to shut down their computer (in the past). :grinning:

5 Likes

Notation Central are running a 22% Black Friday discount on Scoring Express templates, from now to December 14. Just use the promo code 22IN22

I’m just going to shamelessly copy and paste Philip’s email as there’s a heap of other stuff on sale too:

Plus extra savings

Use the code SMUFLME to get 25% off when you purchase two or more SMuFL fonts from NorFonts together. This includes BopMusic, Da Capo, Groove, Mezza, Mezzo, RealScore, Rhapsody, Scordatura, Soli, The Copyist, and Tutti, for use in Dorico and Finale 27. Stack the code SMUFLME with the Black Friday discount for super savings of more than 40% off.

The Sibelius and Dorico Scoring Express bundles are ordinarily $45 off compared to buying each genre separately, so this is a great opportunity to pick up the bundle of all the Sibelius collections or the bundle of all the Dorico collections and stack your savings by using the 22IN22 code for an incredible value of $80 off.

3 Likes

I have the templates and they are really good.

**Leigh

Thanks!

Thanks for the information Leo. And I really hope to have a non-US paper size version. Then I would buy without hesitation.

1 Like