Boxed Text Font (updated)

Hi,

Since Dorico doesn’t offer to box text in some text frames, I’ve created a new text font where you can use parenthesis ( ) , accolades { } and. [ ] as enclosures too. The font is free for use (OFL) , here it is:

NorBOXES v1.0.zip (31.0 KB)

Examples:

Basic Combination:

(120)
[Clarinet in B?]
{D.S al Coda}
(F#)
[Natural @]

CleanShot 2022-07-30 at 10.37.10@2x

You can now use NorBOXES font for Instrument Names in parts and so on…

(example used by permission from @MarcLarcher Edition)

It might be tedious to add the parenthesis and the accolades at the beginning and at the end of each text… but this is just a temporary solution till we see Dorico allowing boxing text in every situation. Enjoy!

19 Likes

Cool :sunglasses:! However, I seldomly use Bravura, may I ask for a Petaluma version of this font? Thx,
Benji

1 Like

If you’re using a ‘hand’ font like Petaluma, do you want a ‘type’ font for text?

Golden Age does text boxes around its text characters. It’s a bit more complex to use. I could create a ‘boxed’ version…

This an amazing font – thank you!

Great job @NorFonts :slight_smile:

@YourMusic.Pro We have an enclosure version of Petaluma already, included with the Pori fonts, here:

The Pori music fonts are only useful in Sibelius, but the “Pori Rehearsal” fonts are text fonts that can be used in any software. There are three versions: an Enclosed version, as well as Overline and Underline, useful in situations like these:

Slight plug: We also bundle the three Pori Rehearsal fonts with Scoring Express for Dorico, so if you’re a customer of that product, you already have these fonts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here are a couple of examples of using Pori Rehearsal Enclosed. (These are all based off stylistic sets already present in Petaluma Script, but not easily accessible)

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! This works really well… :wink:
However, the icing on the cake would be a version with straight vertical sections of the enclosures, as opposed to the curved ones.
But that’s high level whining, really… :wink:

Cheers,
Benji

Hi,

I updated my NorBOXES font from v 1.0 to v1.1 by adding the flat sign to the pipe bar |. Segno and Coda signs are also added. The accolades { } have now ROUNDED corners while [ ] have RIGHT angles.

So, If you try the following combinations…

(120)

[Clarinet in B?]

{D.S al Coda}

(F#)

[Natural @]

(Blues in C#)

<B| Clarinet>

{Full Score}

[Moderate Groove]

(Segno sg)

(Coda cd)

for forced space use _ underscore ( can be useful for separating two successive boxed texts )

…you get these results:

NorBOXES v1.1.zip (34.0 KB)

The font will be soon available on @Philip_R’s Notation Central website.

Would you want this font to be used for tempo marking? Any suggestions? Thanks

Enjoy!

—Nordine.

3 Likes

Nor, what I’ve done with Nepomuk is to access the accidentals with a ligature. I use $b, $n and $s as the ligature characters that trigger the flat, natural and sharp. I think that’s better than ‘overwriting’ any one glyph. (I got the idea from another font, I can’t remember where I saw it.)

3 Likes

Lovely work, Nor. [Edit: I misunderstood the description at first reading.]

@benwiggy, Thanks Ben, well I will add those ligatures if you want, do you think they are required by Dorico tokens?

@Mark_Johnson
For example, if you type {Rounded corners} you will get rounded corners box:

…and for example, if you type [Right corners] you will get right corners box:
CleanShot 2022-07-31 at 14.05.36@2x

To separate two boxed texts, use the underscore _ :

(Text1)__{Text2} will result in this : CleanShot 2022-07-31 at 14.06.32@2x

No, they’re not used by Dorico tokens, which are {@ @}. I just think it’s a nice way to get at Unicode symbols without taking the place of a standard char.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that you can also use these two symbols : < and > for text enclosures, example:

CleanShot 2022-07-31 at 14.49.10@2x will result in this: CleanShot 2022-07-31 at 14.46.57@2x

You’re right @benwiggy, it’s better to keep the glyph positions untouched, so I added the features of $b for flat, $n for natural and $s for sharp. Thanks Ben!

1 Like

tangentially related: I feel completely stupid but… where/how do I change the font so only the instrument label (that shows in parts) uses this font, and not the actual instrument name (to the left of each staff in the score)?

EDIT
ok, I found in libraries where to change that font, however, now I get a bold text with only a single line over it, no line beneath.

I’m also not getting the vertical line at beginning and end, of any type, with [, {, or (.

I think you’d mean Layout Names… no?

The font is a regular font so not a bold font, make sure you are selecting the regular style/weight.

Edit

You should add the enclosures you want like in the picture below. Double-click to edit the instrument name text.

here’s a screenshot of the score, in Setup mode, where you can see the instrument name/label to the left I am trying to change, and the result in the part itself, as well as the paragraph style dialog box with the options.

I do have regular, and not “bold” set for the font style.

See my Edit above.